IU vs Miami Post Game

ButlerHoosier

Not a disappointing season IMO given losing X for almost all of it. When the brackets came out. I told my son, Miami would be the absolute worst matchup for us. 

I will say I'm very disappointed about the defensive rebounding effort tonight though. 4 guys (including Trayce) just standing around while they have 1 or 2 guys absolutely crashing.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Just now, bluegrassIU said:

I disagree. This was a loss where we see our lack of overall talent, guard depth and athleticism be exposed.

Our guys play hard, but are limited. Our floor and our ceiling were never far a part with this group.

I don't think effort was the issue. I appreciate and respect this team. We just need to upgrade our talent and athleticism moving forward.

You gotta think if XJ stays the talent at the PG position is there. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ButlerHoosier said:

So...disappointing season?

How was the season disappointing SMH. We finished second in the big ten without are second best player for most of it. Was the game tonight a disappointment, yes but it would be overreacting to say the whole season was

• Like 8

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

I disagree. This was a loss where we see our lack of overall talent, guard depth and athleticism be exposed.

Our guys play hard, but are limited. Our floor and our ceiling were never far a part with this group.

I don't think effort was the issue. I appreciate and respect this team. We just need to upgrade our talent and athleticism moving forward.

Agree. It wasn't so much effort. Our guys played hard. Miami's athleticism and length at some spots was on a different level. 

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

I disagree.  48-31 on the boards blue.  And, a lot of settling on the offensive end.

• Like 2

This team was absolutely Jekyll and Hyde this year. Woody did the best he could. You saw when our team was firing on all cylinders we were one of the best teams but that happened once or twice. Then it's like we went brain neutral and lost all focus. Just no killers. This is a culture thing Woody I think is trying to establish. Just sucks we are losing our All American and first round guard. Also we had major untimely injuries that derailed our progress and season. Well time to see what we are going to get from the portal and see how Woody handles the off-season. 

• Like 2

We really were overwhelmed by athleticism tonight. 

The problem is, you don't have to ultra-athletic to win but if you're not then you need to be ultra-skilled, and we're not really that either. 

Woodson needs to go hit the portal to find athleticism and shot makers. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hey everyone. Thanks for a fun season. I have enjoyed the emotional roller coasters. I have enjoyed the interaction. This was not the ending I wanted obviously. We are just not in the place to match up with teams like this. A long way to go, but it feels we are on the right track. Hope you all have a great off-season. I’ll be lurking the portal and recruiting threads. Go IU!

• Like 4

Back in November, if you said that we’d win a game in the tournament, finished second in the B1G and got a 4 seed all while battling injuries - the perception would be that we met expectations.

BUT this team did not play up to their potential, plain and simple. I don’t want to sugar coat this. 

The same mistakes plagued us over and over again - even in wins. I’ve been biting my tongue all year, but fundamentals in passing and rebounding does not look like it is being emphasized. That is coaching. We need to get better in this area, or all that we are is a streaky team that will continue to trip over ourselves. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Better team won.  Good, but not great season - probably in line with our talent level.

Woodson has a LOT of work to do with assembling next year's team.  The cupboard isn't completely bare, but only enough to make a plate of biscuits.

It is bare.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

I will say I'm very disappointed about the defensive rebounding effort tonight though. 4 guys (including Trayce) just standing around while they have 1 or 2 guys absolutely crashing.

100%.  I don't understand those that feel the effort was there.  Miami's effort FAR exceeded ours, and I would not be surprised if Woodson doesn't say so in he postgame.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How was the season disappointing SMH. We finished second in the big ten without are second best player for most of it. Was the game tonight a disappointment, yes but it would be overreacting to say the whole season was

Just putting that question up to get discussion going vs railing about our less than stellar game against Miami. 

4 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Rebounding is effort and tonight was unacceptable effort. I agree our overall talent is not what it should be but we got out rebounded by a short team who isn't a good rebounding team. We just was a bad rebounding team all year especially on the defensive end

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

But he was a major part of the problem tonight. For the most part he played with good energy but tonight wasn't one of them nights. 

We wouldn’t have made the tournament without Trayce. Also, he had 23 points, 8 boards and 5 blocks. He wasn’t the problem. We actually didn’t give him the ball nearly enough.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Yeah... we had:

A combo guard freshman playing point guard

A sixth man playing as our 2 guard and secondary ballhandler, as well as backup point.

A guy who will be outmatched athletically by a lot of wings

A gritty four that kind of lacked any real difference making skill. Pretty decent at a lot of things, not really good or great at much of anything.

TJD

It is what it is, these guys cared and wanted to give us more than they did, but we really only had one guy who was an elite player at the position they were playing. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If we get any 

4 minutes ago, Milosh68 said:

Spurts of standing around, a few players that don’t really show an ability to self motivate consistently, and an inconsistent year because of that last point. A decent year though. We need some more athletic players that can actually shoot the ball. 

losing(most likely)Schifino and TJD is not ideal for this team o build more consistency for next year. 

I truly believe 1 is addition by subtraction.   I am sure that is not a popular opinion, but the highs were not high enough for the lack of consistency in too many games.  X would have been such a blessing this year.  

• Like 2