Transfers with IU Interest

10 hours ago, hoopsta007 said:

Is the thought they will be from other high major schools or mid majors looking to move up?

It does no good to start saying names of kids IU has had back-channel discussions with prior to them entering the portal. IU has been doing their work on some of these kids. At least 1 is still playing. That's why it's important to be patient. 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

It does no good to start saying names of kids IU has had back-channel discussions with prior to them entering the portal. IU has been doing their work on some of these kids. At least 1 is still playing. That's why it's important to be patient. 

Not sure I like my school talking to kids not in the portal. Its like a coach stopping a kid in the handshake line and saying you are great you can play for me anytime....wink wink.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Not sure I like my school talking to kids not in the portal. Its like a coach stopping a kid in the handshake line and saying you are great you can play for me anytime....wink wink.

It's more talking to AAU coaches, HS coaches, family members, and people like that. It's done by almost every school that uses the portal to their advantage. 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

It's more talking to AAU coaches, HS coaches, family members, and people like that. It's done by almost every school that uses the portal to their advantage. 

Yes i understand the world we live in. Just don't like the tampering end of it. I hope they are worth it.

4 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

100%. Also no prohibition against players talking. 

"NCAA rules prohibit any representative of another athletics department from making contact with a player at another school who has not entered the transfer portal, either directly or indirectly.

That rule, however, has proven difficult to enforce, as proof of such conversations can be difficult to obtain. Coaches can also use players' high school coaches, for instance, as intermediaries to make known the opportunities that player might have at a different school without contacting the player directly. (The NCAA's general toothlessness in enforcing much of anything hasn't helped, either.)"

"Technically, schools and coaches aren’t allowed to contact or recruit athletes until they are officially in the portal. However, it would be naïve to think that everyone is abiding by those rules. Quite frankly, it’s certainly possible that if a school or coach waits that long, it might be too late to have a real chance at landing certain transfers."

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

100%. Also no prohibition against players talking. 

"NCAA rules prohibit any representative of another athletics department from making contact with a player at another school who has not entered the transfer portal, either directly or indirectly.

That rule, however, has proven difficult to enforce, as proof of such conversations can be difficult to obtain. Coaches can also use players' high school coaches, for instance, as intermediaries to make known the opportunities that player might have at a different school without contacting the player directly. (The NCAA's general toothlessness in enforcing much of anything hasn't helped, either.)"

"Technically, schools and coaches aren’t allowed to contact or recruit athletes until they are officially in the portal. However, it would be naïve to think that everyone is abiding by those rules. Quite frankly, it’s certainly possible that if a school or coach waits that long, it might be too late to have a real chance at landing certain transfers."

Correct. There is also a certain IU commit that has been doing some posting on players social media and communicating with players at other schools. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Yes i understand the world we live in. Just don't like the tampering end of it. I hope they are worth it.

It could be that the coaches get wind from the players themselves that they would be interested. Which would be different than actively recruiting that said person prior to interest. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Agreed, naming names at this stage would be premature. Can you offer any generalities, though, about the types of players we're talking about? E.g., bigs vs wings, P5 vs mid major, seniors vs underclassmen.

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

But yet it's ok "saying names of kids"  (or at least implying through omission) in the IU Roster thread? 

Our kids haven't entered the portal either... 

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

But yet it's ok "saying names of kids"  (or at least implying through omission) in the IU Roster thread? 

Our kids haven't entered the portal either... 

I don't feel bad leaving them off the roster projection when a couple have had their mind made up for a while. 

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I don't feel bad leaving them off the roster projection when a couple have had their mind made up for a while. 

Well, I guess we'll see... If what you say is true, I'll come back and tip my cap...

But I learned a long time ago to not shovel dirt on something that still has a pulse...

And I'd be willing to bet that Tamar comes back... 

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well, I guess we'll see... If what you say is true, I'll come back and tip my cap...

But I learned a long time ago to not shovel dirt on something that still has a pulse...

And I'd be willing to bet that Tamar comes back... 

I'd say 70/30 he goes but there is still a chance he stays depending on a few factors. 

Completely unrelated, but I watched Blue Chips last night. Even back in 1994, when this movie came out… there was obvious evidence of tampering/illegal recruiting. Most of us just wanted to look the other way. I feel like you have to use back channels anymore to compete for these kids. Now that you can legally pay for their services, it seems like having backhanded conversations isn’t all that bad. 

• Like 2