Thank You TJD

KDB

I’m in my mid 30s, so probably somewhat in the middle of the board in terms of age. I can confidently say TJD is the best player I remember coming through Bloomington, and it really isn’t close.

He set a new standard for people my age and younger for what it means to be an All-Time great. There have been other greats I do remember clearly, but he tops them all.

Taking it a step further, he also set the standard for what it meant to put the work in to improve, and the standard for the type of person I think we all hope comes to IU.

I am most bummed this fun season ended because it’s the last time I will get to see number 23 wear the Cream and Crimson. If his goal was to give fans hope again after some rough days, he’s done that in spades in my book.

Well done, Trayce. 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

I was at IU the four year of Calbert. That team would have been untouchable if TJD was on it.

It was pretty great as it was. Of course Henderson getting hurt pretty well derailed that opportunity…but yeah…put Trayce on a few of our better teams and we are in NC conversation.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think Henderson was as good as TJD and had more ways to score

He couldn’t block shots and he couldn’t score in the post at will on Trayces level. He had a nice 15 footer though. Much more all-around. That team could space the floor. Him and Nover could both step out.

Edited by dgambill

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He couldn’t block shots and he couldn’t score in the post at will on Trayces level. He had a nice 15 footer though. Much more all-around. That team could space the floor. Him and Nover could both step out.

Disagree about scoring in the post. He had a great turn around jumper on the post. Difference was in RMK he didn't post guys up like TJD did but moved the guys around and come off screens.

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You couldn’t even go one thread, this thread in particular, without talking your crap about the past?

Honestly dude…

LOL! I am not saying  TJD wasn't one of the best players but for the most  part he was one dimensional scoring the ball and was very good at it

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

LOL! I am not saying  TJD wasn't one of the best players but for the most  part he was one dimensional scoring the ball and was very good at it

Great, still not the thread for your weird nostalgia.

Your only posts in a TJD appreciation thread are to come in and argue Henderson is better. For once just cut the crap man. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

Great player but I cannot say he maxed out. The lack of a jump shot, even a FT length jumper, over four seasons is a mystery that may never be solved. 

It’s crazy. One of the best Hoosiers in my lifetime (41 years) and did it without a jump shot. Even more impressive. Hope he develops one for the next level. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I’m in my mid 30s, so probably somewhat in the middle of the board in terms of age. I can confidently say TJD is the best player I remember coming through Bloomington, and it really isn’t close.

He set a new standard for people my age and younger for what it means to be an All-Time great. There have been other greats I do remember clearly, but he tops them all.

Taking it a step further, he also set the standard for what it meant to put the work in to improve, and the standard for the type of person I think we all hope comes to IU.

I am most bummed this fun season ended because it’s the last time I will get to see number 23 wear the Cream and Crimson. If his goal was to give fans hope again after some rough days, he’s done that in spades in my book.

Well done, Trayce. 

Very well said, and thanks for expressing so well what I think almost all of us feel about TJD. It's one thing to have a guy who is a terrific basketball player. It's entirely another when that person conducts himself with class and is clearly a good person both on and off the court, who is an ambassador for the program, and who truly understands what Indiana basketball is and accepts the responsibility of getting the program back to where it should be.

TJD took on a lot of adversity in his time here, from the failures of the Archie regime, to the fallout from the coaching change, even all the way down to this year when we had that 3 game skid and it looked like things were going off the rails. He handled all of that with grace and remained respectful to those around him, which can be difficult for someone at that age.

In short, thank you for choosing IU, and allowing us to appreciate not just the player you were, but also the person. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Indykev said:

After a couple of meetings I had with TJD he became my favorite Hoosier of all time. To bad Archie didn't put anything around him to win more. I hope its not 10 years before our next thread thanking an all-time great.

TJD very well could be the last of his kind in Bloomington.  4 year starter.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1