IU - NIL

Danomatic

13 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I think Ruiz is a billionaire.   I see it as a hobby.  He also is likely super egotistical and enjoys that people are talking about him.  He will eventually get a different hobby or buy into a pro team.

It is a hobby, but the other reality is that to make it legit guys like Ruiz are running these endorsements through businesses as collaborator and/or advertising deals. 

That makes it more difficult and also alludes to Ruiz's recent comments that he needs to see an ROI on these deals and that he may pull back on these. 

These businesses aren't play money. They're really businesses with employees, expenses, etc., and they have PnL's they have to account for.

Even being the owner, Ruiz can't just come in to NerdWallet (that's his right?) and take their entire ad budget and throw it at Miami athletes and say "oh well" when there is no ROI. People would lose their jobs, the company would implode, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It is a hobby, but the other reality is that to make it legit guys like Ruiz are running these endorsements through businesses as collaborator and/or advertising deals. 

That makes it more difficult and also alludes to Ruiz's recent comments that he needs to see an ROI on these deals and that he may pull back on these. 

These businesses aren't play money. They're really businesses with employees, expenses, etc., and they have PnL's they have to account for.

Even being the owner, Ruiz can't just come in to NerdWallet (that's his right?) and take their entire ad budget and throw it at Miami athletes and say "oh well" when there is no ROI. People would lose their jobs, the company would implode, etc.

Something I thought of last night... and it would NOT bother me with these NIL deals...

I feel like having a player sign a two year contract, or whatever... but basically the contract says "you are paid this amount of money, but if you aren't a student at IU in 2025, you pay that back in full"... As in, making it very hard on guys to transfer. I don't see any issue with something like that. The guys want paid, well... ok, but there are stipulations. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Something I thought of last night... and it would NOT bother me with these NIL deals...

I feel like having a player sign a two year contract, or whatever... but basically the contract says "you are paid this amount of money, but if you aren't a student at IU in 2025, you pay that back in full"... As in, making it very hard on guys to transfer. I don't see any issue with something like that. The guys want paid, well... ok, but there are stipulations. 

While understanding the NCAA has a ton of rules they don't enforce, I believe with NIL you technically can't tie it staying at a particular university. 

But, there are always loop holes and I'd bet if Nijel Pack transferred again somehow his Ruiz deal would magically disappear. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I agree.  I don't know what his personal piggy bank blow budget is either.  I also thought that some of this NIL stuff has been filtered in as charitable giving and a tax write off.  And others as true "marketing" deals.  

Just now, BGleas said:

While understanding the NCAA has a ton of rules they don't enforce, I believe with NIL you technically can't tie it staying at a particular university. 

But, there are always loop holes and I'd bet if Nijel Pack transferred again somehow his Ruiz deal would magically disappear. 

Right. I just... I think it's WELL within the moral ability of those companies/individuals to have stipulations like that. jmo

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

If I was an "investor" I would take it further than that.  I would want a percentage of their future earnings or something along those lines.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

I agree.  I don't know what his personal piggy bank blow budget is either.  I also thought that some of this NIL stuff has been filtered in as charitable giving and a tax write off.  And others as true "marketing" deals.  

Yeah, it's a mixed bag. From what I understand the Ruiz/Miami stuff is run through his company as an endorsement deal. That makes it much more difficult for him to just throw money at these kids with no ROI. 

As we know, some of the IU stuff is charitable so a little different, and then there are the collectives like the Hysterics guys have which I think (guessing though) are more based on appearances, events, autographs, etc.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rico said:

If I was an "investor" I would take it further than that.  I would want a percentage of their future earnings or something along those lines.

Bingo. And another thing I would have ZERO problem with. If the players want to play the game... then it's a real business, not just.... "I throw money at you so you will play ball at my school". 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I’ve thought about this a few times. You can’t tie it to attending a school, but you can make the deal contingent on physical appearances. 

If the deal is $x for 8 appearances at an event that happens to be near campus it makes the legal NIL deal tough to fulfill from a different school. 

5 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

I’ve thought about this a few times. You can’t tie it to attending a school, but you can make the deal contingent on physical appearances. 

If the deal is $x for 8 appearances at an event that happens to be near campus it makes the legal NIL deal tough to fulfill from a different school. 

There's that loophole we were looking for. Love it!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Right. I just... I think it's WELL within the moral ability of those companies/individuals to have stipulations like that. jmo

Certainly. I would assume they just do a one year deal with the ability to renew that for future years, always one year at a time, once the guy has returned. No need to violate an NCAA rule when the rule has a blatantly obvious loop-hole.

How much did this Ruiz character give to Miami before NIL? That's the part that won't dry up. Athletic donations have been big business for a long time. This is just the same thing but repurposed. It will probably grow the overall pot of contributions somewhat, but schools will just have to cut back on some of the expenses that used to be covered by donations (coach salaries is my guess) and send that money to players. If the NCAA suddenly allowed schools to pay players with no stipulations and no salary cap, I don't think there is any doubt all of the big schools would do so. The money is there and long has been. It doesn't take too much creativity to channel donations to NIL opportunities and essentially pay players now. All perfectly within the rules.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 7:58 AM, Indykev said:

At some point this money from boosters dries up. Even millonaire's have limits.

That's the good thing about having the next generation of billionaires being big IU hoops fan a big positive. We know the Cooks aren't going anywhere. Obviously Simon's aren't either...add to that fact I know the Irsay daughters are all IU we should be in good hands for the long haul. Especially Carlie Irsay-Gordon on the latter. 

This hearing was this morning in Federal Court....this could be the landmark case that makes universities pay the kids a wage in addition to scholarship. For those that like the legal side of things it's a quick read but to recap. The 3 judges basically cutoff, dismissed every single argument made by the NCAA.

https://www.sportico.com/law/analysis/2023/federal-appeals-court-rebukes-ncaa-1234710033/

Time will tell because of appeals,etc....and I don't know how they differentiate what an appropriate wage is in different sports, mens vs womens, revenue producing vs not,etc..

I threw this in hear because it kind of has to do with NIL talk but even the judges said NIL is something completely different. 

On 3/28/2023 at 9:32 AM, BeerBQ said:

Couldn’t someone just donate huge money to the Hoosier Hysterics NIL initiative and then just have them set up appearances and then boom problem solved

3 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Couldn’t someone just donate huge money to the Hoosier Hysterics NIL initiative and then just have them set up appearances and then boom problem solved

Pretty sure this is how it is with the Hoosiers for good and any other collective. Charity and appearances are all part of it. The Hoosier collective is one of the first non profit set up. The Hysterics aren’t but they fill a portion the Hoosiers for good doesn’t. 

• Like 1

I wonder if it would be legal to have contracts for NIL deals where the person/organization paying the money could require a commitment of an agreed term and/or offer a buyout if the player wants to leave. 

Say a player has to stay 3 years or pay back for each year they left early. 

• 2 weeks later...

Going to ask this here. Long time ago when Butch Davis was rebuilding Miami they had so many scholarship restrictions they had to get creative. For example...Santana Moss was actually on track scholarship and walked on football team. My question as it relates to IU and NIL...do we think there will be a time where say we or a school is out of scholarships but have the kids pay their tuition as a walk because of extra NIL $?? 

Guess I'm just seeing where things could end up or asking is there any rules that prohibit that?

44 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Going to ask this here. Long time ago when Butch Davis was rebuilding Miami they had so many scholarship restrictions they had to get creative. For example...Santana Moss was actually on track scholarship and walked on football team. My question as it relates to IU and NIL...do we think there will be a time where say we or a school is out of scholarships but have the kids pay their tuition as a walk because of extra NIL $?? 

Guess I'm just seeing where things could end up or asking is there any rules that prohibit that?

I’d bet that’s happening in football. I’d bet NIL money on it. 

• Like 2