IUBB Off-season 2023

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I wouldn't know why those two wouldn't develop. I am not really that worried about Maliks shooting, forms good, FTs look good... I think he can hit a solid % of open ones. He shot 79% from the line in conference play. (22-28)

But... we do know that Ware has that skill. And.... him having that skill is more than TJD or RT had. And.. that isn't even factoring in how much taller those two are comparatively and how much longer. I mean, he's 7'1. What did Race's offensive skill consist of... THIS season?

I think any time you lose a first team All American you will have question marks, I don't see that we are taking some massive step down on our front line, at all. Plus I think Sparks as JR will probably just as good as Malik as a FR off the bench. 

I'm not thrilled on Ware's shooting either.  I guess to me he's boom or bust.   Hard to believe a kid that big and skill will be a bust though.  

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm not thrilled on Ware's shooting either.  I guess to me he's boom or bust.   Hard to believe a kid that big and skill will be a bust though.  

Why?  

If he shot/played that much better than he did this year... he'd be in the mock drafts and not going to IU. 

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'd really have to watch his highlights but I doubt he was contested very much from 3 and shot what 29% come on that's not very good.

As a 7'1 18-19 yr old... shooting 55 3s at the D1 level and hitting 27% of them is more than fine. 

He was 3 more made 3s away from shooting 33%. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

As a 7'1 18-19 yr old... shooting 55 3s at the D1 level and hitting 27% of them is more than fine. 

He was 4 more made 3s away from shooting 33%. 

You had to preface that with a 7'1" guy.  Trayce could have easily shot better than that had he let it fly.  It's actually worse than I thought.   Ifs ands and buts aside.  Unless he proves to staff he's a more competent shooter, I'd prefer he try something else.  But that's on and up to him and the staff.  

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

You had to preface that with a 7'1" guy.  Trayce could have easily shot better than that had he let it fly.  It's actually worse than I thought.   Ifs ands and buts aside.  Unless he proves to staff he's a more competent shooter, I'd prefer he try something else.  But that's on and up to him and the staff.  

Oh absolutely not.

7'1 doesn't matter on a basketball court? I guess you should ask the NBA if it does. I mean, is 7'1 shooting 27% from 3 the same as 6'1 shooting 27% from 3? That made no sense. 

So, of course I built context into our conversation, him being 7'1 is relevant. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Oh absolutely not.

7'1 doesn't matter on a basketball court? I guess you should ask the NBA if it does. I mean, is 7'1 shooting 27% from 3 the same as 6'1 shooting 27% from 3? That made no sense. 

So, of course I built context into our conversation, him being 7'1 is relevant. 

Huh.  Disagree which is fine.  Both are just opinions that can't be proven.  

No coach anywhere at any level wants any player of any height that shoots 27% from anywhere ever shooting said shot.  That's all I got.  And probably even more so if you have such a ridiculous height advantage,  go get closer and put the ball in the basket.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Huh.  Disagree which is fine.  Both are just opinions that can't be proven.  

No coach anywhere at any level wants any player of any height that shoots 27% from anywhere ever shooting said shot.  That's all I got.  And probably even more so if you have such a ridiculous height advantage,  go get closer and put the ball in the basket.  

So.... what percent do you have to shoot to be able to shoot? Should you just take shot clock violations instead of shooting an open 3? 

It's a 2.5ft difference between a HS 3 and a college 3, of course there is a transition period. 

I don't understand the bold. He will in PnR, being 7'1 catching lobs and dunking, one step drop step dunks, baby hooks, etc. Plus a very good shot blocker and has switchability.... all of that is why 27% as a 7'1 18 year old is impressive/solid.

Why is 15/55 soooooo bad, but yet 18/55 is good? 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Dickinson as a SO (he didn't shoot 3s as a FR)-- 21/64--- 33%

Ware as a FR-- 15/55- 27% 

---------------------------

Dickinson as a JR-- 24/57-- 42%

Plus Hunter Dickinson is a mouthy idiot that would have likely been a poor social fit at IU.  Not sure why we'd even compare those two when Dickinson to IU was never going to be a thing anyway.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Plus Hunter Dickinson is a mouthy idiot that would have likely been a poor social fit at IU.  Not sure why we'd even compare those two when Dickinson to IU was never going to be a thing anyway.

They're both 7'1? 

They both shoot "some" 3s. I was showing how basketball players "progress". I was showing that when you only shoot 50-55 3s in season how quickly you can change your "percentage". I thought looking at those #s Hunter as a SO vs. Ware as a FR... shooting wise were pretty close. They were within 9 shot attempts of each other... do you have a more relevant comparison we can use to @NotIThatLives that shooting 25%-30% as a FR isn't that big of a deal? 

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So.... what percent do you have to shoot to be able to shoot? Should you just take shot clock violations instead of shooting an open 3? 

It's a 2.5ft difference between a HS 3 and a college 3, of course there is a transition period. 

I don't understand the bold. He will in PnR, being 7'1 catching lobs and dunking, one step drop step dunks, baby hooks, etc. Plus a very good shot blocker and has switchability.... all of that is why 27% as a 7'1 18 year old is impressive/solid.

But, I'm sure someone, out of the blue, will have an issue with us having this long of a conversation, that doesn't involved them, so... that is my last post and hopefully we didn't bother those individuals too much.. (who bring little to the board anyway besides memes). 

Race was being yelled at to not shoot the ball at Assembly Hall just this season when he was hovering around 29%.  So just because a guy is 3 or 4 inches taller he should have the green light?  Makes no sense.  

I want him doing all the things you listed him actually being good at until him and the staff collectively give him the green light because he has proven he can actually shoot the thing and make it.  

27% is bad.  Just bad.  I don't know what to anticipate with him at IU.  I imagine he will improve greatly.  Just not sold on him as a shooter.  Does he take any other jumpers?  71% from line is good.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Race was being yelled at to not shoot the ball at Assembly Hall just this season when he was hovering around 29%.  So just because a guy is 3 or 4 inches taller he should have the green light?  Makes no sense.  

I want him doing all the things you listed him actually being good at until him and the staff collectively give him the green light because he has proven he can actually shoot the thing and make it.  

27% is bad.  Just bad.  I don't know what to anticipate with him at IU.  I imagine he will improve greatly.  Just not sold on him as a shooter.  Does he take any other jumpers?  71% from line is good.  

RACE IS 24 YEARS OLD!  Kel'el is 19!!  ... there isn't a green light/red light. Ware can shoot and will shoot. 

No lol what does his height have to do with that with being given the "green" light to shoot? That isn't what was said. 

"27% is bad. Just bad" ---no not really when you consider everything. Age, 7'1, wing span, ability to switch, and ability to defend the rim. Anything over 30% next season for Ware is solid, again, with all things considered.

Edited by btownqb

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

RACE IS 24 YEARS OLD!  Kel'el is 19!!  ... there isn't a green light/red light. Ware can shoot and will shoot. 

No lol what does his height have to do with that with being given the "green" light to shoot? That isn't what was said, whatsoever. 

"27% is bad. Just bad" ---no not really when you consider everything. Age, 7'1, wing span, ability to switch, and ability to defend the rim. Anything over 30% next season for Ware is solid, again, with all things considered.

I'm very hopeful he can and will shoot over 30%.  Much less than that, I don't want him shooting and he too will get the nooooo from the crowd.  Regardless of his age or height or draft stock.  

Watched o e highlight.   Had about 6 threes in it and they were all fairly contested.  That is a good sign to me.  It wasn't him out there shooting wide open threes with the defense begging him to shoot and still bricking it up.  

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

I'm very hopeful he can and will shoot over 30%.  Much less than that, I don't want him shooting and he too will get the nooooo from the crowd.  Regardless of his age or height or draft stock.  

Watched o e highlight.   Had about 6 threes in it and they were all fairly contested.  That is a good sign to me.  It wasn't him out there shooting wide open threes with the defense begging him to shoot and still bricking it up.  

No lol... he isn't Race. Not all shooting percentages are created equal. I think the form actually looks really good. 

I still contest... if the kid was much better of a shooter than that, he might not be in college for a second year, anyway. 

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

No lol what does his height have to do with that with being given the "green" light to shoot? That isn't what was said. 

To me anything under 35% from 3 is pretty bad. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

No lol... he isn't Race. Not all shooting percentages are created equal. I think the form actually looks really good. 

I still contest... if the kid was much better of a shooter than that, he might not be in college for a second year, anyway. 

I can barely remember how this started but Malik needs a body transformation.   Bottom line.  I'm sure Coach Woodson has relayed the same.  Sure kid, you want to reach the maximum potential of you as a player, then get rid of the baby fat and come in looking like Blake Griffin next year.  

• Like 1