Payton Sparks Commits to Indiana

KDB

12 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Poor mans TJD ?

Will be interesting to see if he can beat out MR

I think the plan is to get MR some minutes at the 4 and 5. He needs to get quicker and stronger. Work on the jump shot. He has the tools. He does those things and could be effective at the 4.  Let him and Banks play the time at 4. That can create good matchups 

• Like 1

Seen him play close to 20 times at ball state over the past 2 years. 

Definitely physical inside and will go after rebounds. Has a decent 12 ft jumper but majority of points come in the paint. Biggest opportunity is at the line. Gets there a lot but missed a lot. Assume that will be a lot of emphasis from the staff. He’s a banger with good touch around the rim. See him hit a lot of jumpers in warm ups and step out to three range a few times as well, but very rare. Needs to stay out of foul trouble too. Few games I watched he was out quick (playing the 3-4 foul game in and out the entire game) with fouls and BSU didn’t have much behind him. He did guard the teams biggest man every game as well playing the 5, so that contributed to the fouls. 

Seems like a good teammate and always plays with good energy. (Also work with a few people in Winchester who know him and all have very positive things to say)

Very excited as I think he brings some toughness around the rim. He gives us 10 and 7 next year as a backup or starter I’ll be happy. Def has the ability to average 12-15 a game though if he get his free throws in order imo. I’d think in either role he’s seeing 20 minutes a game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

I love that Woodson said he liked "his ability to draw fouls on the opposition, which was one of the best nationally". It suggests he's a banger and won't be afraid of other Big Ten bigs. One concern though is that while his free throw attempts in the first two years remained the same his percentage went from 70% to 52%. I don't know if this is form thing or possibly an underlying injury? Who knows but his upside is there and his fundamentals as a big man are there. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
32 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Good article on the "forgotten"portal pickup...

Can't overlook the fact this kid was the MAC Rookie of the Year and 2X All MAC (3rd team as a freshman, 2nd team as a sophomore)...

Watching his highlights, he's better than half the starting 5s in the Big 10...

I agree.  He is just going to get better and better with the resources IU has to offer.  I look forward to his contributions through his hard work.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Good article on the "forgotten"portal pickup...

Can't overlook the fact this kid was the MAC Rookie of the Year and 2X All MAC (3rd team as a freshman, 2nd team as a sophomore)...

Watching his highlights, he's better than half the starting 5s in the Big 10...

Yeah, he’s a very good player. We have four very high quality players at the 4 and 5, and for the most part they should all be interchangeable and all have different skill sets.

We obviously don’t have TJD, but I think as a group we can manage to avoid a falloff in the front court. 

On 6/10/2023 at 9:47 AM, Common Sense said:

I agree.  He is just going to get better and better with the resources IU has to offer.  I look forward to his contributions through his hard work.  

We always talk about coaches just needing a bigger platform to show how good they can be. Sometimes it works for players too. As others have said he's the forgotten commit but everything I read and see says Big 10 body ready and with the way Coach allows his guards to attack and dish I could easily him being a big contributor right away.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 9:03 PM, Hoosierfan1901 said:

As much as he doesn’t want to lose guys it’s also a feather in his cap at Ball St that he develop guys to play at the Power 5 level. When a kid goes to Ball St they likely aren’t thinking about being developed to go to the NBA but rather take the leap to a power conference.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Indykev said:

I am going to be rooting hard for this kid. Not saying other aren't but I have seen Sparks going into Cook hall 5 or 6 times now by himself. No one else around. Big kid, he is going to help. Keep working young man.

Probably a cute coed working there and dude ain't doing no work.

Well, maybe putting in work in a different way.   😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1