Players declaring for the 2023 draft...

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I thought Jalen was better than we even thought. Dude was asked to carry a heavy load once XJ went down and did so very well. 

After XJ went down--- JHS avged 35mins 15p 4r 4a 

I realize that JHS is an incredible talent but I really appreciate your post because I don't believe many people understand how hard it is to suddenly switch from being a SG to the primary PG as a freshman. Very few players handle that situation well even those who are lottery picks.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, SawatchHoosier said:

I realize that JHS is an incredible talent but I really appreciate your post because I don't believe many people understand how hard it is to suddenly switch from being a SG to the primary PG as a freshman. Very few players handle that situation well even those who are lottery picks.

I couldn't agree more. Dudes a stone cold killer. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I would not. But, that's an opinion. 

JHS being 6'6 215 would be the main reason behind that opinion. 

Depends on what you mean by "pro ready"? Some of it is situational, but Gordon averaged 16ppg shooting 45% from the field and 39% from 3 his rookie year. 

I'd be pretty shocked of JHS does that as a rookie. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Depends on what you mean by "pro ready"? Some of it is situational, but Gordon averaged 16ppg shooting 45% from the field and 39% from 3 his rookie year. 

I'd be pretty shocked of JHS does that as a rookie. 

I think EGs scoring was for sure better, currently, than JHS. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

And his defense too. He's always been a + defender. 

I think we will see much more out of JHS defensively when he isn't asked to carry that sort of load offensively. 

But, what JHS can do in the PnR is the big thing for me, outside of his measurables. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

And his defense too. He's always been a + defender. 

Quick highlight film so it isn't everything, but Gordon was really good.  I think JHS is one of those guys we might be thinking, "What if we got another year or two of that guy...?"  EG is definitely in that category.

• Like 1

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

Quick highlight film so it isn't everything, but Gordon was really good.  I think JHS is one of those guys we might be thinking, "What if we got another year or two of that guy...?"  EG is definitely in that category.

See.. I think the other way... I'm thankful this guys were forced to go to college, at all lol 

36 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I would not. But, that's an opinion. 

JHS being 6'6 215 would be the main reason behind that opinion. 

Even as a freshman at IU, I thought of EG as a man playing against boys.  JHS is good, but I cant say I ever thought of him in that manner.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think we will see much more out of JHS defensively when he isn't asked to carry that sort of load offensively. 

But, what JHS can do in the PnR is the big thing for me, outside of his measurables. 

The PnR thing is where fit/situation comes into play. Depends on where he's drafted. As a mid-to-potentially late 1st rounder, if he goes to teams like Memphis, Phoenix, Portland, Atlanta, etc., that have established All-Star guards and stars, he won't have a ton of opportunities to run the PnR as a rookie. 

Don't mean to be downplaying JHS, I think he has a shot to be a really good NBA, but Eric Gordon was a "dude" from the second he stepped foot on an NBA court. 

He's not a star, but again averaged 16ppg on efficient shooting while being a good defender. 

JHS would have to really overachieve as a rookie to match that production. 

• Like 3

Just now, btownqb said:

See.. I think the other way... I'm thankful this guys were forced to go to college, at all lol 

So I think that is probably one difference between those 2.  I think EG hit IU and was NBA ready.  He would have gotten drafted straight out of high school.  Credit to JHS in that I think he was a guy viewed as potential with a little to prove.  He answered questions this year, proving himself ready, while EG spent his year at Indiana highlighting what people thought of him already.

On a related note, JHS declaring is about the best thing that could happen from a recruiting standpoint.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

What gives EJ the slight edge to me is that the mere mention of his name makes a Whinin' Illini whine even louder :) 

But thinking about it, JHS makes a Boiler pee down his leg...So, even! ;) 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 1