Honest thoughts on CMW

Woodson, too, is an IU grad/born in Indiana guy. 

And yes... if Lewis or May PROVE themselves to be worthy of hiring them when CMW is done, I think either will jump at the opportunity if given the chance. I love who they are as people, the stories you hear, and the way they portray themselves in the media. Lewis, Woodson, and May all three handle the spotlight much better than some of our former assistant coaches, one of the reasons one is our current coach and two will/should be great candidates later on. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

17-16 (8-10), 17-15 (8-10), 13-10 (7-5), 19-15 (11-7) were his first four years.  They were 35-4 (18-2) this year and made the Final Four...which was a great year.  The first four years would have had people like you (and me to be honest) asking for a new coach.  You are just buying into the flavor of the moment fallacy right now.  Let's see what happens the next few years.  If Dusty continues to improve he may be the guy to step in down the road and take over whenever Woodson leaves.  He should have the dominant team in his conference now, so let's see how he maintains his program.

Idk if this is a CMW thread or a Dusty May thread... but... I think Dusty is a little more than a flavor of the month... 

Reason I say that... he's had 5 straight winnings seasons at FAU, in his first 5 years-- before Dusty they had only had 5 winning seasons since 1996 and only 5 winning season in their entire history. I mean, that's pretty well maintaining a program. Dusty's winning % at FAU is 63%, FAUs program winning % before he got there-- 37%. 

Any team not-- KU, IU, Duke, UNC, UK, etc... should have May at the top, top of their wish list, imo. To me... it's just a timing thing, if we DIDN'T have Woodson. Dusty would be priority #1 for me. JMO 

Edited by btownqb

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Idk if this is a CMW thread or a Dusty May thread... but... I think Dusty is a little more than a flavor of the month... 

Reason I say that... he's had 5 straight winnings seasons at FAU, in his first 5 years-- before Dusty they had only had 5 winning seasons since 1996 and only 5 winning season in their entire history. I mean, that's pretty well maintaining a program. Dusty's winning % at FAU is 63%, FAUs program winning % before he got there-- 37%. 

Any team not-- KU, IU, Duke, UNC, UK, etc... should have May at the top, top of their wish list, imo. To me... it's just a timing thing, if we DIDN'T have Woodson. Dusty would be priority #1 for me. JMO 

He is doing well.  This year is the outlier though, he was 54% winning percentage heading into this year.  (66-56).  Yeah, that was at a struggling program but still kind of middling results.  Nobody on here was talking about adding Dusty May as our next coach when we had an opening 2 years ago.  Nobody was talking about him last year.  Now he is the next savior because of a run to the Final Four.  This whole thread would not have been posted if not for the FF run, that is what I mean by flavor of the moment.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

He is doing well.  This year is the outlier though, he was 54% winning percentage heading into this year.  (66-56).  Yeah, that was at a struggling program but still kind of middling results.  Nobody on here was talking about adding Dusty May as our next coach when we had an opening 2 years ago.  Nobody was talking about him last year.  Now he is the next savior because of a run to the Final Four.  This whole thread would not have been posted if not for the FF run, that is what I mean by flavor of the moment.

Makes sense. Personally, I would consider 54% at FAU better than "middling", but 100% agree no one was talking about the guy before this year, I honestly didn't even know he was a former manager. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

CBS Sports had an article about FAU and May last week. He took the job without ever having seen their facilities, and when he did see them, he wanted to rescind his decision. His wife had to convince him to stay. Evidently, FAU's facilities were worse than many high schools' in that area. When he was bringing in recruits, he wouldn't let them see the gym, locker room, etc.

All in all, I think May has done an outstanding job overcoming some major hurdles. Looking at his record over the past 5 years, there is little reason to doubt why the first few years were a bit lean.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

CBS Sports had an article about FAU and May last week. He took the job without ever having seen their facilities, and when he did see them, he wanted to rescind his decision. His wife had to convince him to stay. Evidently, FAU's facilities were worse than many high schools' in that area. When he was bringing in recruits, he wouldn't let them see the gym, locker room, etc.

All in all, I think May has done an outstanding job overcoming some major hurdles. Looking at his record over the past 5 years, there is little reason to doubt why the first few years were a bit lean.

I don't want to knock the guy, he has done a great job for that school.  I am just saying that nobody was beating the Dusty May drum until about 2 weeks ago.  I hope he continues to improve because I do think Woody is on a shorter schedule than our past few hires, it would be nice to basically have our "Roy Williams" waiting to come home.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I don't want to knock the guy, he has done a great job for that school.  I am just saying that nobody was beating the Dusty May drum until about 2 weeks ago.  I hope he continues to improve because I do think Woody is on a shorter schedule than our past few hires, it would be nice to basically have our "Roy Williams" waiting to come home.

How many recruits has CDM gotten in the top 100? I bet 0. Top 200? Probably 0, maybe 1-2 over 5 years.

He has figured out how to motivate the guys he has, and play intense basketball. I bet he gets hired away this summer. And if not this year, probably next year if he has any kind of a winning season. 

IMO he's a undiscovered diamond (not in the rough).

On 4/2/2023 at 1:43 PM, Hoosierfan1215 said:

I would think coach has a couple years left at least. And we’re playing better. See what this season holds. May has a lot of his FAU team back next year. They make another run ( make tourney win a game or two) he will be offered somewhere else if he isn’t this year. Probably won’t be a top 15 gig but a mid power 5 team (although we fall into that right now if I’m being honest non historically speaking). I think when the time comes we will have those talks to gauge interest if it’s still a thing.

I love his demeanor on the sidelines and watching them switch on the perimeter was  a thing of beauty. 

IU (and Purdue IMO) are both top 15 gigs if for no other reason than fan support, B1G money, and recruiting footprint. I’d put IU closer to 10, Purdue closer to 15. 

I’ll never forget IU fans filling up AH to watch some TERRIBLE crean teams between 2008-10. THAT is what makes IU basketball special. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...