Transfers with IU Interest

6 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I’m having a really really difficult time understanding people WANTING IU players sitting on the bench?????????

Yeah, I’m confused like @kyhoosier29 and the wish lists of non IU players????!!! I’m with @FKIM01 My team is on the floor!! Apparently all of these wish list players aren’t on Coaches wish list!? But hey I’m confused?🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Bates > Gunn last year in every way I can think of, especially defensively.   And no one is against the kid.  We are for him.  

Last year bates definitely better than Gunn 

can Gunn be better as a sophomore thane sophomore Bates?  

No reason Gunn doesn’t become a better a defender and start knocking down some shoots.  This coaching staff has proven that players get better from year to year.  Bates improved defensively, he just struggled making shots.

Both Banks and Gunn have some ability and need playing time to prove it.  You have to balance recruiting freshman and the portal.  If Gunn and banks don’t get playing time they will likely leave.  If this staff can’t develop players like that, they will be in the portal every year trying to find 6 to 8 players.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Bates > Gunn last year in every way I can think of, especially defensively.   And no one is against the kid.  We are for him.  

I don't think y'all are against him for a moment...But I also think you're gauging what he can be on a very thin look-see...Bates had been through 1 college season, and was in the rotation getting his chance...Ultimately, that didn't pan out...Maybe Gunn won't work out either...

But after the loss in the NCAA Tournament to Miami, all I heard was "we need better athletes!" Well...

Indiana basketball vs. Elon: Welcome to the CJ Gunn Show in Bloomington

Remember this putback play right before the half versus Elon? That's the kind of athlete we're looking for...

We talk about "volume shooters." Look at CJ's senior numbers at Lawrence North against pretty fair high school competition...

Gunn-23.5 points 46.8% from the field 37.4% on 123 3-pointers.

All I'm saying is, he has the potential...All that's holding CJ back at the 6 inches between his ears...He listens to the coaches, gains his confidence he's got a high ceiling...

Tell you what though...Rather than have this back and forth that seems to make some angry, let's just wait until rosters are finalized, which should be in the next few weeks...Once the NBA draft kids are available, if we hear serious interest, then we can take up that debate...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 6

30 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't think y'all are against him for a moment...But I also think you're gauging what he can be on a very thin look-see...Bates had been through 1 college season, and was in the rotation getting his chance...Ultimately, that didn't pan out...Maybe Gunn won't work out either...

But after the loss in the NCAA Tournament to Miami, all I heard was "we need better athletes!" Well...

Indiana basketball vs. Elon: Welcome to the CJ Gunn Show in Bloomington

Remember this putback play right before the half versus Elon? That's the kind of athlete we're looking for...

We talk about "volume shooters." Look at CJ's senior numbers at Lawrence North against pretty fair high school competition...

Gunn-23.5 points 46.8% from the field 37.4% on 123 3-pointers.

All I'm saying is, he has the potential...All that's holding CJ back at the 6 inches between his ears...He listens to the coaches, gains his confidence he's got a high ceiling...

Tell you what though...Rather than have this back and forth that seems to make some angry, let's just wait until rosters are finalized, which should be in the next few weeks...Once the NBA draft kids are available, if we hear serious interest, then we can take up that debate...

I love the potential but I'm greedy I want to top five team next year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 94hoosier said:

Last year bates definitely better than Gunn 

can Gunn be better as a sophomore thane sophomore Bates?  

No reason Gunn doesn’t become a better a defender and start knocking down some shoots.  This coaching staff has proven that players get better from year to year.  Bates improved defensively, he just struggled making shots.

Both Banks and Gunn have some ability and need playing time to prove it.  You have to balance recruiting freshman and the portal.  If Gunn and banks don’t get playing time they will likely leave.  If this staff can’t develop players like that, they will be in the portal every year trying to find 6 to 8 players.

You know it would be pretty sweet is that Banks is so good he gets some playing time at the four as well. I really hope he's so good he has to play 25 minutes a game.

And I'm really hopeful that Gunn will be better than Bates but if he's not and we farted around and didn't get anybody better than that then we aren't a contender.  

Newton may very well be ahead of Gunn.  Idk

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

May 31st NBA deadline, June 1st the team will be back in Bloomington for the summer workouts and classes. We'll know very soon if the staff is happy with what they have or not.

If the staff is happy with what they got?  But, but, but what about HSN?  I mean we have been workin' our tails off 'round here to get the best possible additions.   I mean I got blisters on my fingertips for God's sake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, IUProfessor said:

For anyone interested in who's declared for the draft, here's a list:

https://www.rookiescale.com/early-entrant-tracker/

One possible target that stood out to me was Tristen Newton from UConn.

Love the site, but Tristan Newton isn't in the portal yet...I know he's a grad transfer and can enter any time, but I don't know whether he'd leave UConn or not...he was a starter...

7 hours ago, Indykev said:

Maybe we can get Boo Buie to grad transfer that way we won't have to worry about not having anyone to guard him...:coffee:

If i hear his name one more time....the announcers say his name more then Beyonce....he be in locker room they work it into conversation 10 times by break...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was just watching a youtube clip from Aaron Torres about the portal. He had an interesting take that's held true in our case. He said that at this stage, if a player enters the portal, the first schools to reach out to said player don't have a good chance to land him because they are already too late. He believes this is *typically* the case. 

It's an accusation of tampering without really making an accusation.

I'm not saying he's right, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's not wrong.  haha. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I was just watching a youtube clip from Aaron Torres about the portal. He had an interesting take that's held true in our case. He said that at this stage, if a player enters the portal, the first schools to reach out to said player don't have a good chance to land him because they are already too late. He believes this is *typically* the case. 

It's an accusation of tampering without really making an accusation.

I'm not saying he's right, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's not wrong.  haha. 

I always just kind of assumed that the first schools to formally reach out were the ones doing the tampering. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I always just kind of assumed that the first schools to formally reach out were the ones doing the tampering. 

I'd have to do a deeper dive, but IU and Washington were the first to reach out to Dingle. 

Dingle went to St. John.

Perhaps, the transfers have already narrowed down their lists and sent out 'signals' to those programs they are interested in. Or players from certain programs are just being extra friendly (via text and what not) with those transfers. Or there's straight up tampering going on. Two of those scenarios are flirting with the line. One is going over.

Either way, would a legit first contact with a transfer on the day he announces mean you're behind??? I just wouldn't be surprised if it's true. 

That said, I may temper my excitement if we're the first school to 'reach out' to a transfer this week - I'll be more hopeful if we unexpectedly announce a visit out of the blue.