The now relevant starting lineups thread 23-24!

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

An upgrade at those positions wouldn't be having XJ as the only ball handler/creator on the court. 

I also don't see us starting this big lineup (Knecht, Ludlum, Reneau and Ware) and then completely switching styles with Cupps, Galloway, Newton/Gunn and Banks when the bench comes in. 

There's just no flow there. There's no consistency in stylistically, and it goes against how Woodson has said he wants to play. 

Outside of Knecht/Ledlum being basically completely different players after they arrive on campus.... yeah, I agree 100%. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

An upgrade at those positions wouldn't be having XJ as the only ball handler/creator on the court. 

I also don't see us starting this big lineup (Knecht, Ludlum, Reneau and Ware) and then completely switching styles with Cupps, Galloway, Newton/Gunn and Banks when the bench comes in. 

There's just no flow there. There's no consistency in stylistically, and it goes against how Woodson has said he wants to play. 

I just ask this do you want a team that can win 21-22 games and lose in the first or second round or want a team competing for a championship. To me if you want the latter then Galloway would be coming off the bench. Do you think Galloway would have started for UCONN or Miami. I don't think he would even had started at Florida Atlantic or SD St.

Who's the primary scorer as it stands today? Adding Ware is a huge get but I'm not expecting him to put up 18-20 a game anytime soon. X? Malik? Trey? Not seeing it.

CMW better find a scorer he can count on or turn into the most dominate defensive team in the country and hope someone steps up.

• Like 1

• Drroogh changed the title to The now relevant starting lineups thread 23-24!
1 minute ago, Reacher said:

X, Trey, MM, Malik, Ware is my guess. I like that lineup. 

Hard to see it any other way at the moment. I agree. 

It will be interesting to see whonfills the need (starting or off the bench) for another ball handler.

Cupps, Gunn, Newton...another transfer?

That looks to be the biggest void right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I would not start any freshmen, transfers, or players coming off an injury.  Too much risk.

Let's go to the HPER building and find anyone we can to save these kids.

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

X, Trey, MM, Malik, Ware is my guess. I like that lineup. 

No rebounding issues with that lineup.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Remember when we thought our front court would be weak? Shewwwwwwww

It will be deeper this year than last year. I know no one will be as good as TJD but the overall talent is better.

MM over Kopp 

Reneau over Thompson

TJD over Ware 

Sparks over Duncomb 

Walker over Geronimo 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It will be deeper this year than last year. I know no one will be as good as TJD but the overall talent is better.

MM over Kopp 

Reneau over Thompson

TJD over Ware 

Sparks over Duncomb 

Walker over Geronimo 

Galloway over Galloway.

• Like 2

IF....IF Gallo can take another ½ step forward in his game, he'll be awesome. Nobody plays as hard as he does, and he also plays smart. He's a highlight reel with steals on defense, even though he's not what some would consider "quick".

My concern with Cupps, based on my limited viewing of his play, is that he takes a LOT of possessions off. Doesn't play nearly as hard as he could, makes cuts at a jog. But he is smart with a high BB IQ, which should make up for some of that. If Woody can kick him in the ass to play hard like Gallo, THEN Cupps could be a stud IMO. But from what I've seen he has a long ways to go. Probably won't be very productive until late soph or junior year.

Don't get me wrong, I think he'll be a solid player for us this coming year, but not nearly a star. If he gets more than 10-15 minutes I'll be pleasantly surprised. I think he'll be better than Bates, but not better than Gallo.

3 hours ago, DWB said:

IF....IF Gallo can take another ½ step forward in his game, he'll be awesome. Nobody plays as hard as he does, and he also plays smart. He's a highlight reel with steals on defense, even though he's not what some would consider "quick".

My concern with Cupps, based on my limited viewing of his play, is that he takes a LOT of possessions off. Doesn't play nearly as hard as he could, makes cuts at a jog. But he is smart with a high BB IQ, which should make up for some of that. If Woody can kick him in the ass to play hard like Gallo, THEN Cupps could be a stud IMO. But from what I've seen he has a long ways to go. Probably won't be very productive until late soph or junior year.

Don't get me wrong, I think he'll be a solid player for us this coming year, but not nearly a star. If he gets more than 10-15 minutes I'll be pleasantly surprised. I think he'll be better than Bates, but not better than Gallo.

10-15 is all he needs to play. Knock down a couple 3s…don’t be a liability on defense…and get us in our offense. We don’t need him to be Yogi as a freshman…let the game come to him…catch up to the speed and physicality and be a positive on the floor and not a negative when X is out. 24…now then he needs to be ready for prime time.

• Like 5