The now relevant starting lineups thread 23-24!

5 hours ago, DWB said:

IF....IF Gallo can take another ½ step forward in his game, he'll be awesome. Nobody plays as hard as he does, and he also plays smart. He's a highlight reel with steals on defense, even though he's not what some would consider "quick".

My concern with Cupps, based on my limited viewing of his play, is that he takes a LOT of possessions off. Doesn't play nearly as hard as he could, makes cuts at a jog. But he is smart with a high BB IQ, which should make up for some of that. If Woody can kick him in the ass to play hard like Gallo, THEN Cupps could be a stud IMO. But from what I've seen he has a long ways to go. Probably won't be very productive until late soph or junior year.

Don't get me wrong, I think he'll be a solid player for us this coming year, but not nearly a star. If he gets more than 10-15 minutes I'll be pleasantly surprised. I think he'll be better than Bates, but not better than Gallo.

I think the difference between what we call "quick" and not, is 1/2 step of position do to "smarts". If he follows in the foot steps of Tr3y, then it's not the sprinter speed, but the 1/2 step smarter IQ that makes him effective (other words a massive PITA for their offense). Right?

• Like 1

I'm telling you, don't sleep on Jakai Newton...

I'm sure he won't start, but he's got all of the tools to make an impact this year...

He's probably already the best athlete on the team... 42 inch vertical, and a 6'11 wingspan (he broke Romeo's record of biggest wingspan to height differential by 3 inches) and he's a basketball player... Not just an athlete that plays basketball...

I've watched 2 or 3 of his (full) games between ESPN and YouTube... The kid can play... I think initially his defense will get him on the floor, but he's got a nice offensive game too... 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

X, TG, MM, Malik and Ware would be my projected starters. More important than the starters is rotation and how they match up when good teams go small. Do you take Ware or Malik off the floor?

Just stick with your own rotation. But, yeah I do expect to see AW/MM/and maybe Banks playing some 4. 

Or combos of AW/KB/MM at the 3+4. I don't think Malik needs to play anymore than 22-24 mins, Ware 28-30... tops. 

I also think we could go--- Cupps, XJ, TG, one of MM/AW/KB, one of Ware/Sparks/Malik. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Just stick with your own rotation. But, yeah I do expect to see AW/MM/and maybe Banks playing some 4. 

Or combos of AW/KB/MM at the 3+4. I don't think Malik needs to play anymore than 22-24 mins, Ware 28-30... tops. 

I also think we could go--- Cupps, XJ, TG, one of MM/AW/KB, one of Ware/Sparks/Malik. 

We're still at the stage with this roster that I have to stop and think about the initials when I read posts like this.  We'll get there, but these guys aren't an automatic know like TJD and JHS with my brain yet.  🤣

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

We're still at the stage with this roster that I have to stop and think about the initials when I read posts like this.  We'll get there, but these guys aren't an automatic know like TJD and JHS with my brain yet.  🤣

When I re-read it, I thought the same. Too lazy to go back and change it all. lol

• Haha 1

I don’t see us going small very often if we don’t pick up another guard. I would expect to see Sparks and Malik together against a small lineup, but I definitely think between Ware and Walker we can handle smaller/quicker 4s just fine defensively.

Offensively, I think very few small lineups will be capable of slowing Mgbako at the 3. That dude has a very good mid post game and can shoot over people too. They’d also really struggle with who to put their one big on between Malik and Ware.