2024 F Kanon Catchings Commits to Purdue

btownqb

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

In the past--- the exact day Brunk would transfer, 3 days before knowing Romeo was for sure going to IU, getting a heads up that Kaufman was going to PU, and the fact Lander was committing to IU about 2 days before he did....  have been passed along to me by a "source" who is one of the most connected guys to Indiana HS basketball... and as you'll notice, those were all IN HS basketball kids...

My source says Kanon is coming to IU. His source is NOT twitter. lol 

I understand how that sounds, but again, this guy has been nails before and doesn't comment on everything because he simply doesn't have info on everything. 

As always, we will see and these things are fluid. 

As a 24 or a reclass? Asking because I've seen that floated around different places.

34 minutes ago, btownqb said:

In the past--- the exact day Brunk would transfer, 3 days before knowing Romeo was for sure going to IU, getting a heads up that Kaufman was going to PU, and the fact Lander was committing to IU about 2 days before he did....  have been passed along to me by a "source" who is one of the most connected guys to Indiana HS basketball... and as you'll notice, those were all IN HS basketball kids...

My source says Kanon is coming to IU. His source is NOT twitter. lol 

I understand how that sounds, but again, this guy has been nails before and doesn't comment on everything because he simply doesn't have info on everything. 

As always, we will see and these things are fluid. 

Good stuff man! Not only would this be a great pick-up, it would be HILARIOUS. 

• Like 8

Here's just one thing I noticed. In all the years of IU message boards I know this board has what I consider the most dialed in people. I also know they probably can't post certain things all the time because of sensitive information. What I will say is this. It's obvious the Catchings family has decades worth of knowledge on how to handle things privately. 

There wasn't a peep of this until 24 hours ago. Tells me people in this young mans camp knows how to keep things quiet until you just can't anymore. If I'm a Purdue fan it's a tough one but the family did you a solid so Painter can address in portal now and refocus on 24 guys. For IU fans its obvious we have all the right ingredients right now from staff to facilities to NIL.

You get a guy like this who is close to Sisley and Haralson...Lord. Just an annual reminder that 2026 Final 4 is in Indy.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Kids are asking around if they can get more NIL money from other teams then where they currently are.  If they get a concrete yes, solid chance they bolt.  

....this very sad and unfortunate. There will be kids who've always dreamed to play for IU and money is just icing on the cake. There is so much "back-channel" and "cherry picking"  recruiting going on, even more, now that NIL has taken the main stage......SMH. 

I love this post I found on (BTB)... Like Coach Ya said, "There are guys in the portal that are just looking for money. They're just straight looking for money. They don't care about winning...That can't be the primary reason you're coming to Indiana. At the end of the day, like everybody else here you're trying to hang a banner. You've gotta have the right type of people here to hang a banner."

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Artesian_86 said:

....this very sad and unfortunate. There will be kids who've always dreamed to play for IU and money is just icing on the cake. There is so much "back-channel" and "cherry picking"  recruiting going on, even more, now that NIL has taken the main stage......SMH.   Like Coach Ya said, "There are guys in the portal that are just looking for money. They're just straight looking for money. They don't care about winning...That can't be the primary reason you're coming to Indiana. At the end of the day, like everybody else here you're trying to hang a banner. You've gotta have the right type of people here to hang a banner."

agree 100%.  NIL will level the playing field but it'll also wreck havoc on some teams bringing in guys that aren't team players or only in it for money

14 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

....this very sad and unfortunate. There will be kids who've always dreamed to play for IU and money is just icing on the cake. There is so much "back-channel" and "cherry picking"  recruiting going on, even more, now that NIL has taken the main stage......SMH.   Like Coach Ya said, "There are guys in the portal that are just looking for money. They're just straight looking for money. They don't care about winning...That can't be the primary reason you're coming to Indiana. At the end of the day, like everybody else here you're trying to hang a banner. You've gotta have the right type of people here to hang a banner."

Who is that a quote from?

not saying I like it, but I know sure as s*** no one will complain no matter how another banner is hung. 

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

....this very sad and unfortunate. There will be kids who've always dreamed to play for IU and money is just icing on the cake. There is so much "back-channel" and "cherry picking"  recruiting going on, even more, now that NIL has taken the main stage......SMH. 

I love this post I found on (BTB)... Like Coach Ya said, "There are guys in the portal that are just looking for money. They're just straight looking for money. They don't care about winning...That can't be the primary reason you're coming to Indiana. At the end of the day, like everybody else here you're trying to hang a banner. You've gotta have the right type of people here to hang a banner."

That was Caleb Love 100%

• Like 3

Kanon is also former NBA player Harvey Catchings grandson. His career overlapped with Woody's a few years. I looked, but they never played on the same team... Missed each other by a year with the Clippers...

Might not have played together, but I'd bet they have a lot of common acquaintances... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1