2024 F Kanon Catchings Commits to Purdue

btownqb

2 hours ago, Beamerball said:

From the Purdue board regarding Kanon:

Last week, Catchings indicated to Purdue that he intended to re-open his recruitment. He did so suddenly and by himself outside of his family and coaches knowledge. It did not go over well with his family and coaches, who have been strongly in purdues corner, and remain so to this day. Since then, conversations between Purdue and the player and the family have been normal. Purdue will have an in-home visit with him Friday. 

Damage control. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Would you doubt it if Rabjohns had a similar update for an IU commitment?

Neubert is a great journalist who doesn’t pull people’s legs. Quite the opposite actually. 

I don't know Rabjohns, so yes I would be saying the same thing.   Unless I get information from the source (kid, parents, etc.) I assume it's no more than a tiny bit of facts smothered in a whole bunch of speculation.  Mostly for the sole purpose of getting clicks.  I've heard that you can make a good living doing this stuff in today's journalism/news practice.  However, like everyone else on here I do enjoy the entertainment factor and drama that boards like this bring during my normal boring work day.   BTW... I've read many of your posts recently.  I respect your opinions, insights, and temperament.   You're not too bad for a Boiler.   :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

my kid(4) changes his mind about what he wants for breakfast every 2 minutes.  I can't imagine how many times a high schooler, top 25 kid "changes" or has "thoughts" about changing schools and discusses it with a few individuals and word makes it out on the street.  

This is more than that. This probably isn’t over. 

I have said this about IU too.  If a player is not into your school, don’t act desperate. Let him go.  It’s not going to work well if the player is not that into the school.  It’s much like a relationship.   If one member is not that into it and the other member is clinging for dear life, it’s not going to work.  There are too many other good players.  Cut bait early and give yourself time to find someone else.  I would 100% say this about IU too.  

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I have said this about IU too.  If a player is not into your school, don’t act desperate. Let him go.  It’s not going to work well if the player is not that into the school.  It’s much like a relationship.   If one member is not that into it and the other member is clinging for dear life, it’s not going to work.  There are too many other good players.  Cut bait early and give yourself time to find someone else.  I would 100% say this about IU too.  

That's Painter. Painter has no issue telling someone if they aren't fully committed, go somewhere. Solid quality he has. 

• Like 2

Interesting Catchings update- coworkers fraternity brothers son plays in the Brownsburg team with Catchings and said Catchings said at workouts he is going to IU but his mom said at the banquet that nothing has changed or been decided at this point so people need to relax 

His parents are strict they say so the control it and supposedly Woodson barely gave them the time of day on the visit so they were not impressed 

15 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Interesting Catchings update- coworkers fraternity brothers son plays in the Brownsburg team with Catchings and said Catchings said at workouts he is going to IU but his mom said at the banquet that nothing has changed or been decided at this point so people need to relax 

His parents are strict they say so the control it and supposedly Woodson barely gave them the time of day on the visit so they were not impressed 

Does "Woodson barely gave them the time of day" sound anywhere close to plausible to you? Really?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Does "Woodson barely gave them the time of day" sound anywhere close to plausible to you? Really?

Honestly, in this entitled culture??? I know nothing about them, so no clue. 

Also, wasn't he a freshman or sophomore at that time on an unofficial visit?  

Edited by NotIThatLives

22 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Honestly, in this entitled culture??? I know nothing about them, so no clue. 

Also, wasn't he a freshman or sophomore at that time on an unofficial visit?  

I have not clue at all. But with all of the press we've seen, testimonials from past players, current players, press... When someone makes such a statement about a baller that is visiting, do you not take just a moment to question that it doesn't fit any other eff'ing story about CMW? 

On the other hand, per your question. If he was a Fresh Or Soph.. and his "handlers" expected "hookers and blow" level of emotional pandering..... Maybe, juuuust maybe, the handlers are pathetic attention whores, twisting a story for their own purpose. 

All I'm saying is that the story makes me question (not totally dismiss) it JUST A BIT.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I have not clue at all. But with all of the press we've seen, testimonials from past players, current players, press... When someone makes such a statement about a baller that is visiting, do you not take just a moment to question that it doesn't fit any other eff'ing story about CMW? 

On the other hand, per your question. If he was a Fresh Or Soph.. and his "handlers" expected "hookers and blow" level of emotional pandering..... Maybe, juuuust maybe, the handlers are pathetic attention whores, twisting a story for their own purpose. 

All I'm saying is that the story makes me question (not totally dismiss) it JUST A BIT.   

Don't hold back there Joe. Say what you really think 😉

• Haha 3

I can’t imagine Woody not being a parents type of coach. But also he’s a no bs guy I feel and maybe spent alot more time with Kanon since he was new here at the time and establishing a relationship and meeting the kid not the parents. Every person has their own flavor and some people just don’t mesh. If true maybe they didn’t. Can’t please everyone. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Well it's Tamika Catchings and I assume her sister is Kanon's mom or maybe they are sister in law?  Idk.  Either way, maybe they did think they should have been center of attention.  But yeah, sounds unlikely.  

Looking back, he came to a team camp and then an unofficial in June.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Purdue7 said:

This sounds like complete bs, sorry. I am sure there a couple of versions that folks could post. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Well it's Tamika Catchings and I assume her sister is Kanon's mom or maybe they are sister in law?  Idk.  Either way, maybe they did think they should have been center of attention.  But yeah, sounds unlikely.  

Looking back, he came to a team camp and then an unofficial in June.  

Yep. Tamika, and 2 other family members were professional athletes, or so I've read. They are kinda used to being the center of attention. SOOOOO, if they have a lean towards any school other than IU, saaaay some toilet maker school, They maybe, just might be able to dish out some misinformation about an experience at a school that isn't THEIR choice.

Again, not saying it's true, not saying it's not true. Trust but verify.

On 4/12/2023 at 3:25 PM, JJack said:

I don't know Rabjohns, so yes I would be saying the same thing.   Unless I get information from the source (kid, parents, etc.) I assume it's no more than a tiny bit of facts smothered in a whole bunch of speculation.  Mostly for the sole purpose of getting clicks.  I've heard that you can make a good living doing this stuff in today's journalism/news practice.  However, like everyone else on here I do enjoy the entertainment factor and drama that boards like this bring during my normal boring work day.   BTW... I've read many of your posts recently.  I respect your opinions, insights, and temperament.   You're not too bad for a Boiler.   :)

Actually most journalists are not making a very good living and switch jobs every few years. It's not a great field to get into these days nor has it been for like 10 years. Just because a lot of people do it, doesn't mean they are making any bread. 

2 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

That sounds at best bad for his relationship with Purdue, at worst really and for his relationship long term with his parents. 

• Like 3

If any of the rumors are true this isn’t ending well. You can’t make a kid do something he doesn’t want to do. He might do it but he’s not going to do it well. Look at TJD. His camp really wanted him at Michigan state. He ended up at IU. Why? Because that’s what he wanted. I shudder thinking about him under Izzo. Anyway, this is not over. 

2 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Actually most journalists are not making a very good living and switch jobs every few years. It's not a great field to get into these days nor has it been for like 10 years. Just because a lot of people do it, doesn't mean they are making any bread. 

Sure.  I guess what is defined as journalism is the question.  In today's internet world anyone can be a "journalist".   Now doing research by gathering first hand accounts and allowing the public to infer the facts is a different story.   That is sorely lacking and is a major problem with all the information flying at people today compared to the past. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Victobmyboy said:

If any of the rumors are true this isn’t ending well. You can’t make a kid do something he doesn’t want to do. He might do it but he’s not going to do it well. Look at TJD. His camp really wanted him at Michigan state. He ended up at IU. Why? Because that’s what he wanted. I shudder thinking about him under Izzo. Anyway, this is not over. 

And perfect example is Keion Brooks Jr. His family wanted him at Kentucky and he wanted IU

• Like 3