2024 F Kanon Catchings Commits to Purdue

btownqb

11 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I just think he’s pointless to talk about until something actually happens. Until then it’s just message board nonsense and it’s not just from you. There’s plenty of people all over IU message boards that keep bringing him up.

That is fair while I also just think 99% of what is talked about on all these boards and threads is pointless. We might have a higher chance with him than we do many of the portal players, other 2024/2025s etc

Purely honest questions that nobody can seem to answer. Seems to be a holding pattern for sure but lots unanswered. 

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Danomatic said:

Agreed. This is the easiest way for him to distance himself from them and his family.

Would be surprised if that happened. This move didn’t catch Purdue’s staff off guard by any means. 

I remember similar comments being made when Ivey transferred to LaLu that he’d never end up at Purdue too. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Okay? Care to elaborate?

Totally different scenario. Kanon has signaled he’s not sure. My take is he’s going to keep his options open. If he was headed to a private school like montverde imho he would probably go to college. Plus Katchings is a 5* riser. He’s going to maximize his earnings potential. Ivey at this point wasn’t on the radar or close to a 5*. 

32 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

Totally different scenario. Kanon has signaled he’s not sure. My take is he’s going to keep his options open. If he was headed to a private school like montverde imho he would probably go to college. Plus Katchings is a 5* riser. He’s going to maximize his earnings potential. Ivey at this point wasn’t on the radar or close to a 5*. 

My question is why does it matter if he’s going to OTE over a place like LaLu or Montverde? It’s smart to go to a place where he can earn some money. Ivey didn’t have that choice because NIL wasn’t available yet. Ivey went to LaLu which is one of the best prep schools in the country for basketball. He was absolutely on the radar. Both Ivey and Catchings realize going away to live on their own can help prepare them for the rigors of college. Catchings fortunately can make money while doing it too. Both Ivey and Catchings come from significant basketball families who know what the recruiting process entails and it makes sense why they trusted Painter.  

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

My question is why does it matter if he’s going to OTE over a place like LaLu or Montverde? It’s smart to go to a place where he can earn some money. Ivey didn’t have that choice because NIL wasn’t available yet. Ivey went to LaLu which is one of the best prep schools in the country for basketball. He was absolutely on the radar. Both Ivey and Catchings realize going away to live on their own can help prepare them for the rigors of college. Catchings fortunately can make money while doing it too. Both Ivey and Catchings come from significant basketball families who know what the recruiting process entails and it makes sense why they trusted Painter.  

I just don't see Catchings going to Purdue after this move. Probably won't play college at all. Has anyone gone from OTE to play college basketball 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just don't see Catchings going to Purdue after this move. Probably won't play college at all. Has anyone gone from OTE to play college basketball 

I have no idea re who has gone from OTE to play college basketball versus going straight to the pros. Not sure why this is being viewed so differently than if he had gone to LaLu or Montverde for example? I think it’s wishful thinking that folks assume he won’t end up at Purdue because of this move. 

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I have no idea re who has gone from OTE to play college basketball versus going straight to the pros. Not sure why this is being viewed so differently than if he had gone to LaLu or Montverde for example? I think it’s wishful thinking that folks assume he won’t end up at Purdue because of this move. 

Because it is not a prep school but an alternative to getting to the pros quicker.

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

There’s still an academic component to it though. 

I could be wrong on this but just tried to at some info. In the 3 years I see no one that went to college but it just showed notable alumni. Also this doesn't have to do with Purdue either. If he was committed to IU I would feel the same thing 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

OTE is an NBA training school first. They mirror it. A private school second. The only similarities is they play basketball. Those private schools are like prep for college vs prep for the league. Ivy was a fringe 4 star. He wasn’t close to what Catchings is. Ivey was a Purdue lock. Catchings probably not. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

OTE is an NBA training school first. They mirror it. A private school second. The only similarities is they play basketball. Those private schools are like prep for college vs prep for the league. Ivy was a fringe 4 star. He wasn’t close to what Catchings is. Ivey was a Purdue lock. Catchings probably not. 

I remember folks on here saying Ivey was going to open things up way back when he moved to LaLu. Catchings family in the indystar article cited they wanted to support whatever Kanon wanted to do and that he’d either go to OTE or come back to Brownsburg. The family trusts Painter and staff and is a big reason why he committed in the first place.  They care about the education part of this too. This is like the polar opposite of the DGL situation. 

39 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

And I’m sure the Catchings can see through any and all of the bs in recruiting since a lot of them have been through it. If they signed off on this, I’m sure it’s legit. 

You are discounting the drama that happened. His family might be all Purdue but imho Kanon isn’t.