Dusty May (FAU). Great interview

DWB

Just listened to Dusty May's interview with the Hysterics guys. It was a great insight to this former IU manager under Knight & Davis, as well as several others.

Solidified my feeling that he should definitely be (at least) a candidate for the IU job when it comes up.

Interview starts @ 31:30 mark.

https://art19.com/shows/the-hoosier-hysterics-podcast

• Thanks 5

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Hope we aren't getting a new coach for at least 6-8 more years, maybe Dusty will have the resume for it by then. That would be great if he does. 

Agree. 

I do wonder, him "signing" that contract, which I get means absolutely nothing whatsoever... but, at least to me.... He could be saying I'm either coaching at FAU or IU and there is nothing in between. I mean, a 10yr contract at FAU? Why? 

"IU" as in.. I'm willing to wait out Woodson, while at FAU. If all that made sense. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I mean, a 10yr contract at FAU? Why? 

It isn't really, as far as his obligation:

"If May takes another job before Feb. 29, 2024 he will owe the university $1.5 million. That number decreases to $1 million, $750,000 and $500,000 over the next three years."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2023/04/09/fau-basketball-coach-dusty-may-10-year-15-million-contract/11631690002/

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It isn't really, as far as his obligation:

"If May takes another job before Feb. 29, 2024 he will owe the university $1.5 million. That number decreases to $1 million, $750,000 and $500,000 over the next three years."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2023/04/09/fau-basketball-coach-dusty-may-10-year-15-million-contract/11631690002/

Still quite a few years.  

58 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Agree. 

I do wonder, him "signing" that contract, which I get means absolutely nothing whatsoever... but, at least to me.... He could be saying I'm either coaching at FAU or IU and there is nothing in between. I mean, a 10yr contract at FAU? Why? 

"IU" as in.. I'm willing to wait out Woodson, while at FAU. If all that made sense. 

I wouldn’t be surprised (assuming IU is in fact his dream job) if his contract extension includes an out clause specifically for IU should he get an offer. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, btownqb said:

Agree. 

That’s exactly how I interpreted it when it was announced. 

• Like 2

On 4/18/2023 at 12:58 PM, btownqb said:

Agree. 

I mean I don’t know too many people who would want to go elsewhere after living in Boca….geez it’s about as close to Paradise as there is in the Continental 48. Beauty all around that campus. And yes that bottom two pictures is of a campus building (SeaTech). With his raise he may actually be able to afford to live there now lol.

95E5D521-CC43-4CE4-A1EE-7D3B5243AEBF.jpeg

896D0771-D3EC-4AB1-A76E-9E4302D2AA11.jpeg

B962CE4B-DF87-4C6A-905C-66EE16B5BB3D.jpeg

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Guess you don’t have any pictures of the flooding 

Yeah…doubt they ever recover…probably just board everything up and everyone move away. Lol

Ian was awful in SWFL but in about another year it will totally be restored better than ever. Disasters will happen but fortunately for areas like SWFL and SEFL there will always be plenty of money ready to come in and invest in restoring it. Don’t get me wrong lots of us have been effected and some places will never be replaced the same but the worst is basically the millionaires are getting replaced with Billionaires from what I’ve seen.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Yeah…doubt they ever recover…probably just board everything up and everyone move away. Lol

Ian was awful in SWFL but in about another year it will totally be restored better than ever. Disasters will happen but fortunately for areas like SWFL and SEFL there will always be plenty of money ready to come in and invest in restoring it. Don’t get me wrong lots of us have been effected and some places will never be replaced the same but the worst is basically the millionaires are getting replaced with Billionaires from what I’ve seen.

I have clients who have 2nd or 3rd homes down there. Getting contractors to do the repairs has been a nightmare. Getting their properties insured is next to impossible.

We are within 1 1/2 years of retiring and those factors have helped us cross off Florida as a second home possibility 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

SW Indiana just had some very destructive tornados so they can happen anywhere

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I have clients who have 2nd or 3rd homes down there. Getting contractors to do the repairs has been a nightmare. Getting their properties insured is next to impossible.

We are within 1 1/2 years of retiring and those factors have helped us cross off Florida as a second home possibility 

If you have the right relationships it isn’t that difficult. A ton of progress has already been made. Most of the construction hold ups are from those buying and Wanting to tear down and Build homes that don’t meet the new codes because they want to build like it was before or outside of regulations. Certainly jumping through hoops to get them approved because they want special permits etc. is a pain and slows things down but hiring the right project managers is all the more important.

Obviously if you are worried about insurance then it probably isn’t the right place to live. I ain’t going to lie it’s expensive for sure. No doubt about that. I would assume those buying million dollar homes affording insurance shouldn’t be a problem. I’m just a working Joe and while my rates have doubled since I moved down here around 5 years ago my home value has also doubled. It isn’t ideal but the money I save from my electric bill alone from up north more than offsets it. I’m also fortunate God has provided well with salary increases too. For those not as fortunate to be retiring there after making a healthy nest egg it would not be on my list. Nor for young people trying to buy a first home etc. Certianly a specific market that requires financial stability, savy buyer, or very thrifty saver. But I love it…and pray God blesses us to countinue to live here.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

If you have the right relationships it isn’t that difficult. A ton of progress has already been made. Most of the construction hold ups are from those buying and Wanting to tear down and Build homes that don’t meet the new codes because they want to build like it was before or outside of regulations. Certainly jumping through hoops to get them approved because they want special permits etc. is a pain and slows things down but hiring the right project managers is all the more important.

Obviously if you are worried about insurance then it probably isn’t the right place to live. I ain’t going to lie it’s expensive for sure. No doubt about that. I would assume those buying million dollar homes affording insurance shouldn’t be a problem. I’m just a working Joe and while my rates have doubled since I moved down here around 5 years ago my home value has also doubled. It isn’t ideal but the money I save from my electric bill alone from up north more than offsets it. I’m also fortunate God has provided well with salary increases too. For those not as fortunate to be retiring there after making a healthy nest egg it would not be on my list. Nor for young people trying to buy a first home etc. Certianly a specific market that requires financial stability, savy buyer, or very thrifty saver. But I love it…and pray God blesses us to countinue to live here.

And, not meaning to pile on, but… Tamiani is a nightmare. Basically a parking lot. Too many people for our tastes 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

And, not meaning to pile on, but… Tamiani is a nightmare. Basically a parking lot. Too many people for our tastes 

Oh for sure! No arguements there. That said I’ve lived in many places and driven some horrible traffic without near the benefits of Naples and the surrounding areas. I will say if you’re driving Tamiami very much you’re probably not taking the best route to get where you want to go. 😉 

• 2 weeks later...