The “What are we selling to recruits” thread…

Maybe it’s just me but if I could play for a guy who played in the league and coached in the league, both at a high level, and who had connections to people in the league, and who knew the intricacies of what it took to get into the league… that would trump having a posh college apartment or the best gaming system.

But that’s just me…

Edited by Steubenhoosier
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Steubenhoosier changed the title to The “What are we selling to recruits” thread…
2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Maybe it’s just me but if I could play for a guy who played in the league and coached in the league, both at a high level, and who had connections to people in the league, and who knew the intricacies of what it took to get into the league… that would trump having a posh college apartment or the best gaming system.

But that’s just me…

Dang it...Beat me to it... :) 

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So here are Tennesee's facilites...I know video isn't the same as being there, but...

Miller Kopp giving a tour of IU's basketball facilities...

I find it fascinating that #5 has SEVEN pairs of shoes, while #2 only has ONE pair of shoes.  

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Man our facilities are a dump LOL! I saw this earlier in the year

Scott, this isn’t the point. How hard to I have to try and get you to even want to listen.

others are better, they beat us in the court, the athlete living facilities, the chefs, etc. I have been on these tours. 

Also, from this saying “well, better than where they came from.”

first, who doesn’t want the best, 2nd the Westfield and Carmel high schools have better weight rooms than IUs. It isn’t special 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Initial79 said:

For anyone that actually wants to discuss it, I will monitor. If you want to keep trying to prove why you are right, sorry. When you have been to these places you know. 

You have not addressed the topic of the thread. So, in your opinion facilities are the overriding factor? Seems to be what you are focusing on. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You have not addressed the topic of the thread. So, in your opinion facilities are the overriding factor? Seems to be what you are focusing on. 

For such a big ten college basketball insider he spends a lot of time on this message board with us pions

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

It is not a single thing. It is everything those schools have. When you experience it, it is more impressive.  This is not about IU being a dump before Scott says that again.

Few examples

- those schools don’t share with other teams. Weight rooms, private chefs, etc for BB, Football, Baseball for some etc. IU shares lot of resources across all sports 

-weight room is just ok. Heck, Westfield High School has a better weight room. 

- athlete living spaces, lounges, game rooms, etc. you see some there. Is it crappy…‘heck no. Same as those schools, no.

- this also kills our football team even more than BB and these guys like sports. Played football (many did) and like good football to go watch. 

then they beat us on the court too. So… what do we have to sell? My opinion is Woody has been great at pulling some top guys. I also think it is interesting that Ware comes from better facilities, etc but for him, he came from a very bad situation. His focus is 100% different than those Knecht/Ledlum 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Initial79 said:

It is not a single thing. It is everything those schools have. When you experience it, it is more impressive.  This is not about IU being a dump before Scott says that again.

Few examples

- those schools don’t share with other teams. Weight rooms, private chefs, etc for BB, Football, Baseball for some etc. IU shares lot of resources across all sports 

- athlete living spaces, lounges, game rooms, etc. you see some there. Is it crappy…‘heck no. Same as those schools, no.

- this also kills our football team even more than BB and these guys like sports. Played football (many did) and like good football to go watch. 

then they beat us on the court too. So… what do we have to sell? My opinion is Woody has been great at pulling some top guys. I also think it is interesting that Ware comes from better facilities, etc but for him, he came from a very bad situation. His focus is 100% different than those Knecht/Ledlum 

So, still focusing on facilities, v the coach and his ability to get guys to the league, which I would hope is the goal of every guy we recruit 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Initial79 said:

Few examples

Meanwhile, in the most recent NBA mock drafts I have seen, there is no one from Tennessee in the draft, while CMW has 2 players chosen in the first round.

Again, what should the emphasis be here?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Meanwhile, in the most recent NBA mock drafts I have seen, there is no one from Tennessee in the draft, while CMW has 2 players chosen in the first round.

Again, what should the emphasis be here?

These are not us man. Ware chose Woodson. Why? He aligns with that and already had the glitz and glam of Oregon facilities. What did that get him.

people are asking why? Why is this happening? I am giving you very legitimate reasons for those that choose door B. 

honestly, what needs to happen. People need to stop worrying about landing every guy like this. Some will chose others for those reasons. I have seen it recently with my own eyes. 

Edited by Initial79
  • Like 1

Just now, Initial79 said:

These are not us man. Ware chose Woodson. Why? He aligns with that and already had the glitz and glam of Oregon facilities. What did that get him.

people are asking why? Why is this happening? I am giving you very legitimate reasons for those that choose door B. 

What does that mean? “These are not us?” 

If what you’re saying is that guys are more swayed by the fluff, then we are better off without them.

If that’s what you’re saying, speaks volumes to the shallowness of a certain segment of that generation 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

What does that mean? “These are not us?” 

If what you’re saying is that guys are more swayed by the fluff, then we are better off without them.

If that’s what you’re saying, speaks volumes to the shallowness of a certain segment of that generation 

Why are you saying this like I’m at fault… haha 

yes, that is what I am saying. I am around younger kids like this a lot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I am not faulting you. Trying to understand you. 
So sad that this is what younger kids prioritize 

It is not all of them but so many do. 

You have to think like they do even if you don’t agree. Everything is about look at me. Social media posts for every freaking offer they get, etc. this even happens in very much lower tier sports. I see it all the time and I hate it. But this is what majority do.

so, if you think like them, they are willing to “look cool” over making sensible decisions. The facilities, brand swagger, Nike? Etc matter to them. 

it is like the kid who takes a walk on at a P5 school in football but could have had a ride at a lower d1 or d2. Happens all the time. Worst part is many parents like it too. Look at my kid, he is going to IU to play football (uh, kinda) 

we have to find the talent that wants to be coached and sensible. They are out there. Ware probably learned this prior stop when it didn’t work out. 

• Like 1

I think there is an important distinction to be made here between player specific facilities, game day experience, and the actual Assembly Hall building.

IU players have a pretty nice setup at Cook Hall, nutrition at the football stadium, a pretty badass locker room and awesome apartments .  It may not be top 5 but it’s way better than most.

SSAH on game day is amazing, especially for a big game but it’s definitely a top 10 game day experience in all of college basketball.

But…the upgrades to SSAH didn’t do enough.  Roof still leaks, tiles in really bad shape, still have rails blocking sight lines.  They had to get donors to chip in for the hand rails and the escalators on the north side after the original plan because they put all their money into the south entrance which is pretty much a brand new building section.  The concessions suck, the middle and north bathrooms suck, and I pretty much had a leaking toilet by my section half of all games this year.  I would compare it to what Chicago did to Soldier field.  There’s a reason the Bears are gonna move to Arlington Heights.

However, a but to my but, my complaints about the physical building really are something the players don’t experience.  The actual player experience is pretty solid from what I have seen and what I have been told by IU athletes.

Edited by iuthruandthru
Misspelling
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I think there is an important distinction to be made here between player specific facilities, game day experience, and the actual Assembly Hall building.

IU players have a pretty nice setup at Cook Hall, nutrition at the football stadium, a pretty badass locker room and awesome apartments .  It may not be top 5 but it’s way better than most.

SSAH on game day is amazing, especially for a big game but it’s definitely a top 10 game day experience in all of college basketball.

But…the upgrades to SSAH didn’t do enough.  Roof still leaks, tiles in really bad shape, still have rails blocking sight lines.  They had to get donors to chip in for the hand rails and the escalators on the north side after the original plan because they put all their money into the south entrance which is pretty much a brand new building section.  The concessions suck, the middle and north bathrooms suck, and I pretty much had a leaking toilet by my section half of all games this year.  I would compare it to what Chicago did to Soldier field.  There’s a reason the Bears are gonna move to Arlington Heights.

However, a but to my but, my complaints about the physical building really are something the players don’t experience.  The actual player experience is pretty solid from what I have seen and what I have been told by IU athletes.

Sensible response.

I am coming at it as someone who has seen behind the scenes. What you described that they have is available at any descent mid major and up. I have seen both. It doesn’t compare to top 35/40 schools. 

I think my point here is being debated 2 ways. That IU facilities are top notch. Top 10 good. No. They are not. 

kids don’t make decisions based on that alone. You would be shocked. At best, if it was 50/50, that will win. 

edit and add - again, this does not mean it sucks. Far from it but many of these guys come from high schools that rival it now. 

Edited by Initial79
  • Haha 1