The “What are we selling to recruits” thread…

32 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I don't know what the total was for Cook Hall or when the Texas Tech facility was built, but the Cook's gave $15,000,000 spread out over 15 years to fund that facility.  The commitment at the time would equal what is today a $20M commitment.  They still have 2 more payments to make on that facility.  When it was built, it was among the best in the country.  Now we need to do it again.  At a certain point, this is a waste of money for something that like 30 people at any given time get to enjoy.  

We are in an arms race with schools that make 10's to even about a hundred million more than Indiana.  This is an unwinnable game.

See, now that I buy. Not saying IU can compete there. These facilities for BB are around $30/$40 million for newer and better ones are building. Football - heck $200 million is cheap for one. 

but everyone saying it is the same, they don’t matter, players don’t care, don’t use them etc. not true. 

Just now, IndyResident16 said:

Did the recruit choose either school because of the gaming rooms or cereal bar in the lounging area? 

I already addressed this.

is this the reason? No, but it can be the deciding factor when someone is 50/50 and yes, I have seen it numerous times. 

you didn’t answer my question. What makes you such and expert on what kids want, NIL etc 

1 minute ago, Initial79 said:

is this the reason? No, but it can be the deciding factor when someone is 50/50 and yes, I have seen it numerous times. 

you didn’t answer my question. What makes you such and expert on what kids want, NIL etc 

Because I had a son go through the recruiting process about 7-8 years ago and the locker room amenities were about 80th on his list.

5 minutes ago, Initial79 said:

See, now that I buy. Not saying IU can compete there. These facilities for BB are around $30/$40 million for newer and better ones are building. Football - heck $200 million is cheap for one. 

but everyone saying it is the same, they don’t matter, players don’t care, don’t use them etc. not true. 

Right now, the better use of that money would be to dump it all into the Hoosiers For Good and just give it to the players if you are going to play the game at all.  I bet the ROE on that would be far higher than any facility.

Hey, you have amenities in a facility you will barely use that aren't as good as those guys.  Will an extra $50 to $100k make you feel better?

22 minutes ago, Initial79 said:

What makes you an expert and have more knowledge than the guy I posted that had IU 19th on facilities. I love these guys come on here to try to get attention by saying they are these so called insiders and try to get validation. I say that is a sad life if you have to go to multiple message boards talking like they know do much more than others. Talking about facilities over hand on BTB stating how you know where recruits are going by their social media follows. He is using different user name but the style of post are the same.

Edited by IU Scott

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What makes you an expert and have more knowledge than the guy I posted that had IU 19th on facilities. I love these guys come on here to try to get attention by saying they are these so called insiders and try to get validation. I say that is a sad life if you have to go to multiple message boards talking like they know do much more than others. Talking about facilities over hand on BTB stating how you know where recruits are going by their social media follows. He is using different user name but the style of post are the same.

Scott, the guy that posted that is well known on Twitter. He literally does lists like that to spark heated discussion and cause for tons of replies and arguments. This leads to more engagement. He is not an expert at all and if you took 5 min to read his lists and the replies you would see this is a known thing. I understand you don’t do social so maybe you can’t understand. It is fake. 

I didn’t claim not to be the same guy Scott. What is your point and already offered to DM you my phone number. You are obsessed with me because you disagree. 

Why do I have knowledge of this… I know lots and lots of high school kids getting recruited and going on visits. I went with my own kid in last few years. I have seen these schools with my own eyes very recently including IU. I also have been a part of recent conversations with players (not my own) who this stuff matters greatly too. 

your anger around this is crazy to me.

I will say again - I NEVER ONCE SAID I WAS AN INSIDER - I hate that freaking term and feel most all of them don’t know crap. 

Edited by Initial79

39 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Right now, the better use of that money would be to dump it all into the Hoosiers For Good and just give it to the players if you are going to play the game at all.  I bet the ROE on that would be far higher than any facility.

Hey, you have amenities in a facility you will barely use that aren't as good as those guys.  Will an extra $50 to $100k make you feel better?

Agree but… NIL and facilities are separate and the schools and NCAA want it that way. They want donations and sponsorships to be separate. The don’t want employees or they would be forced to share the TV money. The answer is IU needs to spend the TV money correctly and stop growing the endowments. That goes for a lot of schools. 

4 minutes ago, Initial79 said:

Scott, the guy that posted that is well known on Twitter. He literally does lists like that to spark heated discussion and cause for tons of replies and arguments. This leads to more engagement. He is not an expert at all and if you took 5 min to read his lists and the replies you would see this is a known thing. I understand you don’t do social so maybe you can’t understand. It is fake. 

I didn’t claim not to be the same guy Scott. What is your point and already offered to DM you my phone number. You are obsessed with me because you disagree. 

Why do I have knowledge of this… I know lots and lots of high school kids getting recruited and going on visits. I went with my own kid in last few years. I have seen these schools with my own eyes very recently including IU. I also have been a part of recent conversations with players (not my own) who this stuff matters greatly too. 

your anger around this is crazy to me.

I will say again - I NEVER ONCE SAID I WAS AN INSIDER - I hate that freaking term and feel most all of them don’t know crap. 

Chris Hansen enters the conversation......

Just kidding. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Initial79 said:

No what I said, I am saying kids today are not the same as kids from 8/10 years ago. 

I think for a lot of us that have been fans since the 70's and fell in love with college basketball, that the current state of the game is sad.  To me this kind of thing like the NIL, the portal and the arm races are not what college is meant to be.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Good Lord @Initial79... You and @BGleas act like I premised a whole  argument on why Ledlum didn't come to IU in the fact we couldn't show, in practical, real world application how he was going to be used... Nothing could be further from the truth...

My statement was...

"I thought about that a little the day Ledlum committed to Tennesee...We can show 50 hours of playing through Trayce, but our lack of modern day wing play makes tape on that important point basically nonexistent"

I also cited facilities (actually based on what you've been saying) NIL, and their coach (who's pretty good) in a later post... 

It would have been nice to show Ledlum (and we never got a chance to show Knecht) how he would be used based on player usage in the past... but no one said it was the reason he didn't pick IU...

Only one person really knows that answer... 

What are you talking about? I made one post about the topic, and I don't even think it was you I quoted?

I made a reply to a specific post about style of play being why wings aren't coming here, and my opinion is that that is easily overcome and not really an issue. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

You don’t have a clue as to what you’re talking about. Give it up man.

This entire board told you you didn’t have a clue this week and you still wouldn’t listen. 

keep blaming the staff while every SEC school builds their mansions and massive NIL collectives. 

Done responding to you 

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think for a lot of us that have been fans since the 70's and fell in love with college basketball, that the current state of the game is sad.  To me this kind of thing like the NIL, the portal and the arm races are not what college is meant to be.

And that is fine and valid for you. I have never once tired to argue that or sway your opinion.

I am lost on why you are so angry at me when I do know some of these things. I have tried wording things better to you, etc. you won’t stop. I get DMs from people telling me they agree but not willing to argue with people on this board and waste their time. Ready to give it up myself. Not worth it. 

I again say, not trying to be a pain when I say this but is the a case of “you can’t handle the truth” 😂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Initial79 said:

This entire board told you you didn’t have a clue this week and you still wouldn’t listen. 

keep blaming the staff while every SEC school builds their mansions and massive NIL collectives. 

Done responding to you 

We’re not discussing the football program. We’re talking basketball. Kids aren’t committing to UT and Arkansas over IU because Arkansas has a juice bar in their locker room and IU doesn’t. They’re committing to those schools because they have entirely better coaching staffs in place who can sell their program a lot better than our current staff. This isn’t hard to figure out.

I will assure you if IU hired Eric Musselman he wouldn’t have an issue getting his pick of the litter in the portal, just like Arkansas will go back to being decidedly mediocre when/if he leaves just like they were in the 25 year span between him and Nolan Richardson and no amount of money, slushee machines, or Xbox game rooms are going to change that. 

Arkansas is not a basketball destination. They currently have a very desirable college basketball coach who can sell his vision on par with the best in the country. This is what it comes down to, plain and simple.

Edited by IndyResident16

7 minutes ago, Initial79 said:

And that is fine and valid for you. I have never once tired to argue that or sway your opinion.

I am lost on why you are so angry at me when I do know some of these things. I have tried wording things better to you, etc. you won’t stop. I get DMs from people telling me they agree but not willing to argue with people on this board and waste their time. Ready to give it up myself. Not worth it. 

I again say, not trying to be a pain when I say this but is the a case of “you can’t handle the truth” 😂

It is like you come off as arrogant lnow it all and you won't listen to other people. I have been on message boards for years and have seen to many posters come on here out of know where. These posters want to act like they are the smartest and their opinion is the only one that is right.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Initial79 said:

The bold, it isn't the truth or fact but it is your opinion. Just like the guy on Twitter you say do it to cause discussion or clicks you are doing the same here. Just because you think this way does make it.tne truth or a fact.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

It is like you come off as arrogant lnow it all and you won't listen to other people. I have been on message boards for years and have seen to many posters come on here out of know where. These posters want to act like they are the smartest and their opinion is the only one that is right.

The irony 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IndyResident16 said:

We’re not discussing the football program. We’re talking basketball. Kids aren’t committing to UT and Arkansas over IU because Arkansas has a juice bar in their locker room and IU doesn’t. They’re committing to those schools because they have entirely better coaching staffs in place who can sell their program a lot better than our current staff. This isn’t hard to figure out.

I will assure you if IU hired Eric Musselman he wouldn’t have an issue getting his pick of the litter in the portal, just like Arkansas will go back to being decidedly mediocre when/if he leaves just like they were in the 25 year span between him and Nolan Richardson and no amount of money, slushee machines, or Xbox game rooms are going to change that. 

Arkansas is not a basketball destination. They currently have a very desirable college basketball coach who can sell his vision on par with the best in the country. This is what it comes down to, plain and simple.

you are so disconnected but cool. Keep believing it is 1987.  

you win, I believe you.