X Officially Back

I'll take Galloway on the wing and add a backup guard and wing and let's play. He's earned the spot. I also think we are way underestimating what we already have on the roster. Let's see what Banks and Gunn bring after a summer of development. These kids are not that much different than the Greg Graham's of years past. I don't know how we ever build a program if we are constantly trying to recruit over the young kids already on the team.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, cthomas said:

I'll take Galloway on the wing and add a backup guard and wing and let's play. He's earned the spot. I also think we are way underestimating what we already have on the roster. Let's see what Banks and Gunn bring after a summer of development. These kids are not that much different than the Greg Graham's of years past. I don't know how we ever build a program if we are constantly trying to recruit over the young kids already on the team.

I’d prefer we bring in a couple scoring wings. If Gallo and Gunn beat them out for starting spots, then we have depth and the team is better 

8 hours ago, cthomas said:

Well said... Exactly right where I'm at... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't know about that.  But I will say that Trey has a better offensive game than Dane.

Dane avged 5ppg playing 32 mins per game as a Junior... and had scored a whooping 400 total points in his first three seasons at Indiana. 

I'll take TG, and all his dumb hand off fouls, over Dane. 

• Like 1

X changes things for IU, if healthy.

He's a super senior who is physically strong and has the quickness needed to get by people. IU does not have a lot of guys who can go by someone off the dribble. He's a good defender when he doesn't foul and although he's a streak shooter from outside he can heat up. He also brings an attitude.

More than anything he can run the show. You can give him the ball and he'll get it up the court and into the offense. Takes a lot of pressure of the rest of the guards. Now Trey can just be Trey and the experience he received last season should make him that much better next season. The two together may not be an offensive power but that's a strong defensive group when they keep the other team's guards out of the lane. X allows CMW to keep more guys in their normal positions and that helps.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

X changes things for IU, if healthy.

He's a super senior who is physically strong and has the quickness needed to get by people. IU does not have a lot of guys who can go by someone off the dribble. He's a good defender when he doesn't foul and although he's a streak shooter from outside he can heat up. He also brings an attitude.

More than anything he can run the show. You can give him the ball and he'll get it up the court and into the offense. Takes a lot of pressure of the rest of the guards. Now Trey can just be Trey and the experience he received last season should make him that much better next season. The two together may not be an offensive power but that's a strong defensive group when they keep the other team's guards out of the lane. X allows CMW to keep more guys in their normal positions and that helps.

if? 

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

Hell Dane Fife, who wasn't as good as TG, started in a NC game. 

Come on young fella.....lol. Us older guys were able to watch four years worth if games with Fife back in the day. He was one of my favorite "All Purpose Players" and extremely fun to watch. Honestly, he was a stud defender, awesome guard/ball handler, great 3 pt and free throw shooter and not to mention a respected team leader. His motor was very, very similar to TG's.

Just now, Artesian_86 said:

Come on young fella.....lol. Us older guys were able to watch four years worth if games with Fife back in the day. He was one of my favorite "All Purpose Players" and extremely fun to watch. Honestly, he was a stud defender, awesome guard/ball handler, great 3 pt and free throw shooter and not to mention a respected team leader. His motor was very, very similar to TG's.

I watched every game Fife played in... He was NOT even a good shooter until his SR year (27%, 33-121) from 3 prior to his SR year. He never got to the foul line really, but still only shot 70% there. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/dane-fife-1.html here are Dane's stats... YUCK. 

I agree, similar players for sure... which is why I mentioned Trey is better. Dane was a bust for being a Top 20 player. 

But, it was mentioned you can't get to F4 with TG starting, which makes no sense... we got there with Odle+Fife in the same starting lineup, Trey is better than both. 

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings on Fife, but the fact that he is such a good "leader" is always an interesting one to dissect.

Are we lauding his leadership skills that force the admin to keep Davis long term? Or his leadership skills to sit by and do nothing while he was on staff in East Lansing for years? Which leadership skills are we talking about exactly? 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I have mixed feelings on Fife, but the fact that he is such a good "leader" is always an interesting one to dissect.

Are we lauding his leadership skills that force the admin to keep Davis long term? Or his leadership skills to sit by and do nothing while he was on staff in East Lansing for years? Which leadership skills are we talking about exactly? 

I don't hold that against him. He was a 20-21 year old who just lost his head coach. He pushed for the known over the unknown. The transfer portal didn't exist then. He didn't force the administration to do anything. They could have told him and any other players who didn't like it to pound sand. 

58 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I don't hold that against him. He was a 20-21 year old who just lost his head coach. He pushed for the known over the unknown. The transfer portal didn't exist then. He didn't force the administration to do anything. They could have told him and any other players who didn't like it to pound sand. 

I’m not saying hold it against him, but if we are going to laud his leadership as being so great as a player it’s a relevant thing to discuss.

Look I like Fife as a player and would love a guy like him on every team we have, but some of the things that get attached to him are just over the top. I mean when it came to Fife and Woodson last year, many folks acted like it was cray we would back an All-Time great IU player with an infinitely better coaching resume and basketball mind over Dane Fife, who’s most notable basketball achievement as an individual occurred when he was in high school. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I’m not saying hold it against him, but if we are going to laud his leadership as being so great as a player it’s a relevant thing to discuss.

Look I like Fife as a player and would love a guy like him on every team we have, but some of the things that get attached to him are just over the top. I mean when it came to Fife and Woodson last year, many folks acted like it was cray we would back an All-Time great IU player with an infinitely better coaching resume and basketball mind over Dane Fife, who’s most notable basketball achievement as an individual occurred when he was in high school. 

The leadership of Fife's senior "unit" was good, but I think it was so effective because of the pieces around it. Over the course of his career, he grew into that intense, demanding role, but it was balanced perfectly with Hornsby's stoic demeanor and Odle's "lunchpail" professionalism. They were also buoyed by Coverdale and Moye's intensity, and Jeffries & Newton's willingness to buy in.

Looking back, that was a well-balanced team. They played much better than the individual elements. But what we remember is the gravitas Fife & Coverdale had in leading that team. With the exception of Yogi (and maybe Hulls to a certain extent), we haven't had an overtly vocal and demanding leader since.

As far as a player, Galloway has shown and done more individually than Fife. I am very interested to see how he slots into the leadership pyramid this upcoming season.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I watched every game Fife played in... He was NOT even a good shooter until his SR year (27%, 33-121) from 3 prior to his SR year. He never got to the foul line really, but still only shot 70% there. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/dane-fife-1.html here are Dane's stats... YUCK. 

I agree, similar players for sure... which is why I mentioned Trey is better. Dane was a bust for being a Top 20 player. 

But, it was mentioned you can't get to F4 with TG starting, which makes no sense... we got there with Odle+Fife in the same starting lineup, Trey is better than both. 

I immediately thought no way but thinking back that team could be comparable to this past year.  A 5 seed, dominant big man.  Just didn't get everything clicking, healthy, and hitting and all the pieces together in time to make it happen.  

We as a fan base over rate that team as well since they were the last ones to make it to the Final Four.  But the reality is they were a top 20-ish team that got hot at the right time.

I think you won me over I'll take Trey Galloway over Dane Fife.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

I immediately thought no way but thinking back that team could be comparable to this past year.  A 5 seed, dominant big man.  Just didn't get everything clicking, healthy, and hitting and all the pieces together in time to make it happen.  

We as a fan base over rate that team as well since they were the last ones to make it to the Final Four.  But the reality is they were a top 20-ish team that got hot at the right time.

Oh we for sure overrate that team. Basically 4 dudes that could hit shot/were willing passers+one dude you couldn't guard one on one. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

The leadership of Fife's senior "unit" was good, but I think it was so effective because of the pieces around it. Over the course of his career, he grew into that intense, demanding role, but it was balanced perfectly with Hornsby's stoic demeanor and Odle's "lunchpail" professionalism. They were also buoyed by Coverdale and Moye's intensity, and Jeffries & Newton's willingness to buy in.

Looking back, that was a well-balanced team. They played much better than the individual elements. But what we remember is the gravitas Fife & Coverdale had in leading that team. With the exception of Yogi (and maybe Hulls to a certain extent), we haven't had an overtly vocal and demanding leader since.

As far as a player, Galloway has shown and done more individually than Fife. I am very interested to see how he slots into the leadership pyramid this upcoming season.

Just quoting to give a 👍. Good post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

The biggest difference in 2002 team was 3 point shooting where they hit 18 against UI and 16 in the elite 8 game vs Kent St 

• Like 1