More critical recruitment ?

milehiiu

I will go with Romeo.  Even when Crean got Zeller, recruiting kind of fell back off in terms of highly ranked kids, with the exception of “the movement”, and we all saw how good that class panned out.  I think Romeo could really spring board Archie/IU to the forefront of locking the state down and gaining traction with other highly touted kids.  He’s already proven he can get good players to commit (see incoming class), I just think Romeo could help him pull in the elite talent though.

This is almost an apples to oranges topic.  Without Cody, CTC would not have had nearly the success he had at IU.  In 3 to 5 years, it will be easier to say which player for which coach was more critical.  Do we make an elite 8 run or better if Romeo selects IU?

Thinking the question is regarding where Romeo is at in his recruitment vs the time just before Cody committed.  Its more apples to apples.  Cody may have the edge in that I believe the class coming in with the players in place, future recruits may not have as large of an individual impact.

Zeller, it allowed CTC to keep his job, no Zeller=no Yogi=no job for CTC.  It is too early to say if Romeo will be this important, but I really don't think he will be in terms of job security for CAM.  Now I think Romeo immediately makes us better than any team Zeller was on simply because CTC never had that type of impact player at his disposal.

my vote goes to...Zeller for Crean.

Crean needed Zeller's talent to start having successful seasons. I'm not sure what would happen if he didn't land Zeller. 

On the contrary, 5-star talent for Miller would more likely be an icing on the cake. Miller can still have successful seasons without 5-star talents, but having top talents can help him get over the hump. 

1 hour ago, StLHoosier said:

I will go with Romeo.  Even when Crean got Zeller, recruiting kind of fell back off in terms of highly ranked kids, with the exception of “the movement”, and we all saw how good that class panned out.  I think Romeo could really spring board Archie/IU to the forefront of locking the state down and gaining traction with other highly touted kids.  He’s already proven he can get good players to commit (see incoming class), I just think Romeo could help him pull in the elite talent though.

Hmm, Cody started a run of getting a McD AA every year for 5 straight years. After the Movement the 13 class was really good, 14 brought in Blackmon and Johnson and 15 may sneakily be one of the best classes in the history of IU. 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Hmm, Cody started a run of getting a McD AA every year for 5 straight years. After the Movement the 13 class was really good, 14 brought in Blackmon and Johnson and 15 may sneakily be one of the best classes in the history of IU. 

One McD’s is fine, but typically the classes had one good recruit and the others were pretty average.  If the classes were that good after Zeller left, we would’ve made deeper tournament runs aye?  Heck, last year even with Bryant, Blackmon and Morgan we didn’t even make the tourney.  I guess I look at it as overall success (tournament wins).  I guess I see Romeo leading to more success than we saw Crean ever have (excluding B10 reg season champs).  The coach may have something to do with that too though :D

2 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

One McD’s is fine, but typically the classes had one good recruit and the others were pretty average.  If the classes were that good after Zeller left, we would’ve made deeper tournament runs aye?  Heck, last year even with Bryant, Blackmon and Morgan we didn’t even make the tourney.  I guess I look at it as overall success (tournament wins).  I guess I see Romeo leading to more success than we saw Crean ever have (excluding B10 reg season champs).  The coach may have something to do with that too though :D

I think the issue was the coaching, not a lack of talented players. 

6 hours ago, btownqb said:

Crazy how similar these two recruits are when you compare what they could mean for IU. Mile I believe there is more hype around Romeo simply because he's a fair amount better than Cody was as a SR..  plus.. the possibility of him breaking Bailey's record. 

The thing is without Cody Crean is fired after year 3 or 4 at the latest and IU and coach Stevens might today be sitting on top of the college basketball world.  You could argue that Cody's commitment was AJ Moye's block all over again.  A curse in disguise.

Just now, dbmhoosier said:

The thing is without Cody Crean is fired after year 3 or 4 at the latest and IU and coach Stevens might today be sitting on top of the college basketball world.  You could argue that Cody's commitment was AJ Moye's block all over again.  A curse in disguise.

No, it wasn't. I loved watching him at IU.. I loved watching that team his SO year. I am a CTC fan. Brad Stevens is in the NBA coaching THE BOSTON CELTICS.. which is a 1000x better job than IU or any college job. 

28 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

That line of thinking reminds me of people that say I don't want to have kids because of the potential of pain and loss. As a fan how could anyone not enjoy having Cody a part of their program. Regardless of the overall outcome. If we are playing the what if. Maybe without Cody Vic never becomes the player he is and now he uses struggling musician trying to make it big.  All Pacer fans say thank you Cody for choosing IU

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

No, it wasn't. I loved watching him at IU.. I loved watching that team his SO year. I am a CTC fan. Brad Stevens is in the NBA coaching THE BOSTON CELTICS.. which is a 1000x better job than IU or any college job. 

He wasn't the coach of the Celtics then.  We'll never know what would've happened. 

At an equal point in their recruitment I would say Cody was more important. Same as others have said, it was year 3 for Crean and he needed a big recruit, and for Archie it’s his first real class and there will be others. Clearly though the answer changes with new info. If Langford comes to IU and the team goes to a Final Four or even more, then the answer changes. 

5 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

With all due respect...my coach is on the floor.  Brad Stevens is dead to me.  I wish him well, but I have no interest in discussing what might have been.

Archived