Iowa Post Game. ROJOOO

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice discussion guys. Players get judged really critically when they are struggling or don’t perform at the level of perceived expectations— but watching good players answer those criticisms with their play on the floor and resilience, and helping or leading our guys to W’s, shows just how good they really are.

Rob and Green have stepped up in a big way, great to see, props to them for sure.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Makes sense if another defender can't help on RoJo and has to stick with Green and guard against his drive or shot. 

Also think there is a psychological advantage of seeing a teammate make plays and make shots...it’s infectious.

I have coached some varsity basketball in the past and have always really appreciated Rojo’s game. I feel like one of his greatest strengths in his career is that he knows himself and knows the game. He fits into a team really well as a guy who moves the ball, drives opportunistically, hits open shots that other people create, defends with good positioning and a high effort level.

I really believe that his struggles earlier this year were two fold. 1) the team concepts shifted so he was less confident that what he was doing was exactly what he should be doing. As a team first guy, that doubt affected his shooting. 2) he moved from being the actual fifth option on the floor ( like an incredible fifth option) to being the second option on the floor and that is simply not his game. Why knock a great team guy for not being a great isolation player? He is Marshall Strickland and we are mad at him for not being Yogi Ferrel...I’m proud of him for an incredible career of maximizing his contributions to the team on and off the court.

If not for his injury two years ago we might have had a better showing in the sweet sixteen against UNC. I’ll Take Robert Johnson’s in every recruiting class from here on out.

35 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Makes sense if another defender can't help on RoJo and has to stick with Green and guard against his drive or shot. 

I'M seeing it as Green's play is helping collapse the defense which gives Rob better looks. No matter, it will be interesting to watch.

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

I'M seeing it as Green's play is helping collapse the defense which gives Rob better looks. No matter, it will be interesting to watch.

Yep. Vice Versa works too. We played our first 7-8 conf games with 1.5 options on offense (Juwan and whether RoJo was on). Feels nice to have Green going. Now we almost have 3 options.

59 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I haven't seen it posted,  but anybody else think Rojo,s improved play lately might be tied to Green,s emergence?

Most definitely.  RoJo is at his best when he doesn’t have to handle the ball and make plays for others (see his 6 turnovers in the Illinois game while Devonte struggled then left with the ankle injury), and he can just play defense and catch and shoot from the wings (see his explosion against Iowa while Devonte was playing well as the primary ballhandler).

5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Most definitely.  RoJo is at his best when he doesn’t have to handle the ball and make plays for others (see his 6 turnovers in the Illinois game while Devonte struggled then left with the ankle injury), and he can just play defense and catch and shoot from the wings (see his explosion against Iowa while Devonte was playing well as the primary ballhandler).

Romeo  should take note!

46 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

Also think there is a psychological advantage of seeing a teammate make plays and make shots...it’s infectious.

I have coached some varsity basketball in the past and have always really appreciated Rojo’s game. I feel like one of his greatest strengths in his career is that he knows himself and knows the game. He fits into a team really well as a guy who moves the ball, drives opportunistically, hits open shots that other people create, defends with good positioning and a high effort level.

I really believe that his struggles earlier this year were two fold. 1) the team concepts shifted so he was less confident that what he was doing was exactly what he should be doing. As a team first guy, that doubt affected his shooting. 2) he moved from being the actual fifth option on the floor ( like an incredible fifth option) to being the second option on the floor and that is simply not his game. Why knock a great team guy for not being a great isolation player? He is Marshall Strickland and we are mad at him for not being Yogi Ferrel...I’m proud of him for an incredible career of maximizing his contributions to the team on and off the court.

If not for his injury two years ago we might have had a better showing in the sweet sixteen against UNC. I’ll Take Robert Johnson’s in every recruiting class from here on out.

Love this comparison. Strickland was a 2 guard forced to play point for three years next to Bracey Wright, and got tons of flak from the fan base. Then his senior year we get a real PG in Earl Calloway, Strickland moved off the ball, and he looked like a different player.

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

I haven't seen it posted,  but anybody else think Rojo,s improved play lately might be tied to Green,s emergence?

Definitely part of it. Neither Rob or Newkirk is a creator. Green is, which lets Rob play to his strengths.

In the last game, Iowa's soft zone was a big part of it too. I might be slow, but if you let me get my feet set for a bunch of wide open kick out threes, I could make a run at the single game three point record too. :coffee:

Archived