The Sectional Pairings

milehiiu

43 minutes ago, cybergates said:

My old HS never won a sectional before class basketball and has won state since. Class basketball isn't just about the tournament either, during one of the first years of class basketball my old HS was ranked #2 in the state and played at #1. Tickets were hard to come by and the atmosphere was better than anything my HS had experienced up to that point (to my knowledge).

While the non-class tournament CAN produce incredible storylines with small schools upsetting large ones (like the one referenced by jefftheref and Milan of course), overall I believe class basketball benefits more kids than non-class does and that's what's most important IMO.

What is your old HS?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess when it was first announced I didn't like the idea of class basketball but I changed my tune years ago. If class basketball allows one thing it allows multiple communities to come to Indy and enjoy a chance for state title in Indiana Hoops.  How can getting more people to experience that setting/stakes be considered a bad thing?

6 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Hauser High School in Hope, IN. Tiny school that never won a Columbus sectional. Columbus North or East won it almost every year that I can remember, even when they had down years and potentially losing records.

I had a buddy from Hope!!!!!!!!!!!  

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I guess when it was first announced I didn't like the idea of class basketball but I changed my tune years ago. If class basketball allows one thing it allows multiple communities to come to Indy and enjoy a chance for state title in Indiana Hoops.  How can getting more people to experience that setting/stakes be considered a bad thing?

Nothing against you personally, but in my opinion, it comes down to --how much watering down of the tournament does it take before a state "title" becomes meaningless?

I taught in Columbus so I know the sectional you are referring to. I also taught in Wisconsin, and not only did they have 5 or 6 classes for the public schools, they had 3 more for private schools. 9 schools were able to say that they were "State Champs".

To me, this is overkill and really lessens the accomplishments. In this day of participation trophies, it seems that helping community pride seems to have taken precedence over actually winning something of value.

I'm old enough to remember the last few years of single class. Most years it seems a smaller school could make it to the final 4. I wonder what would have happened if they had semifinals and championship game on different days. The winner of the afternoon game was at a disadvantage with less rest and neither team in the finals really had much chance to scout/prepare. I would image a few more small schools would win it all if the games were on consecutive days. 

56 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Nothing against you personally, but in my opinion, it comes down to --how much watering down of the tournament does it take before a state "title" becomes meaningless?

I taught in Columbus so I know the sectional you are referring to. I also taught in Wisconsin, and not only did they have 5 or 6 classes for the public schools, they had 3 more for private schools. 9 schools were able to say that they were "State Champs".

To me, this is overkill and really lessens the accomplishments. In this day of participation trophies, it seems that helping community pride seems to have taken precedence over actually winning something of value.

But that really isn't that big of a deal? No one sees it that way while they're competing. Class basketball is good. I go to sold out sectional championships every year. If it's Floyd vs. NA next sat Seymour 8100 seat gym will be sold out. If it's Brownstown/Salem vs. Silver Creek/NH next sat at NH it will be sold out in a 3000 seat gym. This myth that class basketball isn't good or isn't followed is flat out a lie. Basketball in Indiana is not as big as it once was is because of football and cell phones. The end. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

But that really isn't that big of a deal? No one sees it that way while they're competing. Class basketball is good. I go to sold out sectional championships every year. If it's Floyd vs. NA next sat Seymour 8100 seat gym will be sold out. If it's Brownstown/Salem vs. Silver Creek/NH next sat at NH it will be sold out in a 3000 seat gym. This myth that class basketball isn't good or isn't followed is flat out a lie. Basketball in Indiana is not as big as it once was is because of football and cell phones. The end. 

I am not a fan of class basketball but I concede that it is here to stay.  But the one thing I really do like about it is the big schools don't get the advantage they once had.  I alluded to Marion a few posts back.  Marion for the most part had an easy ride right to the Semi-State.  Warsaw is another school that beat up on the little guys and won their sectional seemingly every year.  

5 minutes ago, rico said:

I am not a fan of class basketball but I concede that it is here to stay.  But the one thing I really do like about it is the big schools don't get the advantage they once had.  I alluded to Marion a few posts back.  Marion for the most part had an easy ride right to the Semi-State.  Warsaw is another school that beat up on the little guys and won their sectional seemingly every year.  

So why wouldn't you be a fan of class basketball then? It's ok to change your ways. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's wrong or bad. 

3 hours ago, cybergates said:

Hauser High School in Hope, IN. Tiny school that never won a Columbus sectional. Columbus North or East won it almost every year that I can remember, even when they had down years and potentially losing records.

The year you won State you defeated us in the regional. Which was only 3 ever sectional championship for us

1 hour ago, hoosiertildeath said:

IT has been 64 Years since those Milan Turkies lucked out and won the IHSSA State tournament !1 They've had a very hard time even getting out of a sectional tournament since INDIANA went to class basketball !! It is time to let SLEEPING DOGS LIE !!!!!!

Lucked out?  I guess my history must be messed up.  I could have sworn Milan made it to the FF the previous year?

1 hour ago, rico said:

It messed up a lot of local rivalries.

It also made a lot more travel for the sectional and regionals than schools use to have to travel for sectionals.  My school Knightstown had to travel 15 miles to New Castle for the sectionals and if we won the regionals.  Since class basketball we have played at Alexandria, Hagerstown, Triton Central and Shenadoah which is close to K-town so it makes it harder for people to travel to see the games.

5 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

4 schools out of ~413 get to call themselves a state champion. That's not watered down at all, it's less than 1%.

I went to a high school with less than 500 students and I would give my left nut to see them win a state title. Having 3 other champions wouldn't bother me at all.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Since class basketball my school Knightstown does not play New Castle any longer but played them every year in the one class system and oculd play them in the sectional as well.

Single class vs multiple class has nothing to do with regular season schedule. So that isn't a factor

Archived