IU Officially Mentioned in FBI Probe

bstall76

2 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I totally agree!! Good greif, that bold wording stating "OFFICIALLY IMPLICATED..." needs to be taken down by a Hoosiersportsnation administrator!!!!

check the topic is has been.

Edited myself for childish reaction

-- I was about to edit this. Thank you for self-editing, leave the name calling off the board.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Maybe you should as well then?

This is way, way more than enough to be worried. 

Maybe I should what? You’re the one spouting off that IU has been implicated and I’m correctly refuting it because it hasn’t happened. Be worried all you want but claiming our program has been implicated is false and trying to trash on Crean as a result is presumption without any due diligence. 

Just connecting a few troublesome dots...Martin was an assistant under Calipari at Memphis from 2006-2008. Around this same time ASM is formed. Memphis got into trouble and Calipari bolted. Based on all of that I would not be surprised that Martin had connections to ASM. I seriously doubt this was the first time someone from ASM reached out to Martin to gauge interest in a recruit. My hope is that he was not able/allowed to use those connections while at IU. It will be interesting, and hopefully provide relief, to hear more details about all of this. 

1 minute ago, bstall76 said:

Maybe let's not be so damn high and mighty, there is a very real possibility someone did something wrong.  If we did cheat we need to get our money back because we did not do it well or effectively. 

That may be, but the title of the thread and the hand wringing are over the top.  This guy probably fished Bowen to as many people as he could.  Martin could very well be as guilty as he looks.  He also may have never even spoken with Dawkins.  We DO NOT know right now, so there's no sense in getting worked up about it.

Some of you really have your heads in the sand and think that everything cream and crimson is next to godliness.  We got players we never should have gotten, Vonleh, Bryant.  We were involved until the end with players who received money, Diamond Stone, Whitehead.  There is a lot of smoke here.  I think everyone needs to have an open mind..  This could be nothing, it could be something minor, or it could be major.  Time will tell.

1 minute ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

That we should definitely be worried and some people will keep their head in the sand unless they see the smoking gun? Shouldn’t be hard to parse out. 

I think we have different definitions of a smoking gun. 

I am late to the party, so far all I see is an effort to get Martin involved. I remember well that we backed off this recruitment early. That's not hard to parse out. If you followed this recruitment, you'd know that we backed off and early. Why do you think that is?

No one has his or her head in the sand here.  Some of us just choose not to get worked up over hearsay and the mere mention of an IU assistant's name in regards to a recruit that we backed off from early and who never stepped foot on campus.

Even if IU ends up implicated and guilty, I'm still not going to get worked up, because there's absolutely nothing I can do about it, but I'll expect IU to act accordingly and see that it never happens again.

1 minute ago, bstall76 said:

I agree, that is why I edited my response.

Look there may be something to this but I highly doubt it. Crean is on record saying he wouldn’t play the money game so Im really not worried about a kid he barely recruited. Im sure Martin may have let his ambition get the best of him and entertained some shady characters in his short tenure but that doesn’t mean Crean went along with the offers and it doesn’t mean IU did anything wrong. Let the facts come to light before making accusations. All we know now is Chuck Martin got a shady email. Princes from Zimbabwe email me all the time taking mad inheritances and royal titles...doesn’t make me part of the scam 

But there's nothing here, "I told him ...." Dawkins tried to push for OG and Bryant. That is all this says. That's it. You guys are running around like the sky is falling over this?? If something comes out, then something comes out and then it's there to discuss, but there is nothing here, except your conjecture. 

We backed off that recruitment, we did not pursue this player, that's fact. 

9 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Are people really going to try to shrug this off as nothing? Do you need video of Crean with a bag of money to believe we may have been involved?

Evidence was presented that bait was dangled. Evidence of the bait being taken has not been presented.... yet. Considering that IU wasn't very involved in the Bowen recruitment, he went elsewhere, and both OG and Bryant signed with different agents such evidence would need to be pretty strong. Go ahead and panic if you must but I'm not sure what good it does either way. 

Just now, Hoosier82 said:

Look there may be something to this but I highly doubt it. Crean is on record saying he wouldn’t play the money game so Im really not worried about a kid he barely recruited. Im sure Martin may have let his ambition get the best of him and entertained some shady characters in his short tenure but that doesn’t mean Crean went along with the offers and it doesn’t mean IU did anything wrong. Let the facts come to light before making accusations. All we know now is Chuck Martin got a shady email. Princes from Zimbabwe email me all the time taking mad inheritances and royal titles...doesn’t make me part of the scam 

You mean that guy from Ghana is not really the executive of my long lost grandfathers will.  Damn I guess I will never get that money back.    Good points.  Still wish I had not sent all that money.:D

8 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

Some of you really have your heads in the sand and think that everything cream and crimson is next to godliness.  We got players we never should have gotten, Vonleh, Bryant.  We were involved until the end with players who received money, Diamond Stone, Whitehead.  There is a lot of smoke here.  I think everyone needs to have an open mind..  This could be nothing, it could be something minor, or it could be major.  Time will tell.

Nobody paid Whitehead and Stone to play at their schools. They took money from a sports agent to guarantee representation. That has nothing to do with recruiting. The only people who need to worry about those kids are Seton Hall and Maryland for playing ineligible players 

1 minute ago, hoosierBGH said:

Evidence was presented that bait was dangled. Evidence of the bait being taken has not been presented.... yet. Considering that IU wasn't very involved in the Bowen recruitment, he went elsewhere, and both OG and Bryant signed with different agents such evidence would need to be pretty strong. Go ahead and panic if you must but I'm not sure what good it does either way. 

Its a message board. 90% of what we do is speculate. 

5 minutes ago, hoosierBGH said:

Completely agree.  I haven’t seen one recruits name pop up yet that we even got onto campus.  You would think that if we did play that game, we would’ve gotten some of those highly touted guys we were after.  Granted there’s still more to come out, but I haven’t seen anything yet to cause worry.

I'd like to say , let the process play out, but there's not even a process to begin with.

Overreacting to this gives the impression that we really are guilty or that we don't have the confidence in the folks who are in position to deal with this.

Either way, not a good look.

Archived