IU Officially Mentioned in FBI Probe

bstall76

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

As my research last week into Andy Miller showed.... currently there is no connection between any IU player, past or present to either Dawkins or Andy Miller.  This is being published by people, unlike me.... who cover IUBB,  and get paid to do it. 

Technically, Jared Jeffries has a connection. He accepted a $4,000 loan. Jeffries was already a client. Nothing appears to be shady with any of that though. Their were other NBA players that had also accepted legitimate loans.

23 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Technically, Jared Jeffries has a connection. He accepted a $4,000 loan. Jeffries was already a client. Nothing appears to be shady with any of that though. Their were other NBA players that had also accepted legitimate loans.

Technically you are correct.  However, the connection was when Jeffries was already a pro.  Had nothing to do with recruiting.

Either way it is not a good look for IU to be mentioned in this but assuming and this is a big assumption that if they reached out to IU and IU did nothing in return then I think we will be fine.  I don't disagree that IU has a connection because reports said Miller or Dawkins reached out to IU, however I want to see evidence or see it from multiple writers that get paid to work for IU come out and say we were involved and are awaiting the punishment(if any are give).  I think right now every school even all the way down towards the middle of D-1 schools should be somewhat on alert until this comes to an end. 

Here's what I think.

• I do not think Tom Crean would have any part of anything that resembled this type of cheating.
  • I think people that assume that IU is not involved because of their belief in Tom Crean are naive.  Assistants and players cross the line without the head coach's knowledge on a regular basis.
  • Tom Crean did hire Kenny Johnson and Chuck Martin.  Johnson is nose-deep in the sh*t at Louisville.  This agent reached out to Chuck Martin for a reason.  It implies that he knew Chuck Martin was the type of guy who would broker a deal.  Now, maybe Crean had enough control to prevent Chuck from doing that at IU, but that does not mean that Chuck wasn't the type of guy to do that given the chance.  It's not unfair to Crean to say he made a couple of questionable hires.
  • Every single significant basketball school will be touched by this scandal in some way.  So, yes, IU will have ties to something or someone related to this.  It's that pervasive.  You're sticking your head in the sand if you think IU is squeaky clean.  because no school will avoid this all-together if all of the facts come out.  
  • What IU, and any program, should focus on avoiding, is a case where the head coach himself is implicated.  Louisville paid that price.  Arizona is now paying the price.  Others are to come.  I think we're good with Crean.  If Sean's mess doesn't keep Archie in line, then I don't know what would.  Let's just hope Archie hasn't crossed that line already in the 10 months he's been on the job.
  • As far as this thread is concerned.  The name 'Indiana' appears in the text.  That is fact.  So, yes, the thread is appropriate and the topic is cause for discussion and concern.  The text does not make IU, or even Martin, guilty of anything.  But, it sure implies that the agent thought that Martin may be someone that would make a deal.  
  • College basketball is a cesspool of unmentionable slime.  I think it may look totally different 10 years from now.   

11 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Lol.  Figures we would get implicated in this before UK, Duke, Kansas, or UNC.  Time to blow up the program because we “do things the right way.”

Just goes to show, you never know if "we" are doing things the right way or not.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

All kidding aside, man does this highlight how inept, incompetent, and inconsistent the NCAA has been.

Yes, and just like Pitino having a recruit "fall into his lap", the FBI probe is the same for the NCAA - none of this would have seen the light of day if it were up to them to discover it.

All kidding aside, man does this highlight how inept, incompetent, and inconsistent the NCAA has been.

Hopefully all of this forces the NCAA to actually do something, and I don’t see how it won’t.  I wouldn’t mind the NBA getting involved too, since it does involve agents who represent players within their organization.

Well, how about this article -- lots and lots of programs named, officially or unofficially. But not IU.

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-federal-documents-detail-sweeping-potential-ncaa-violations-involving-high-profile-players-schools-103338484.html

Documents reviewed by Yahoo regarding Dawkins, Andy Miller and ASM Sports revealed impermissible benefits and preferential treatment for players at Duke, UNC, MSU, UK (shocker), Texas, Alabama and a "host of other schools." Could IU be found in there somewhere, sure -- but the fact that IU has not been named, identified, or "implicated" at this point in these several articles seems to say something. This article mentions "at least 20" D1 programs, and it doesn't mention IU.

Okay, so my question is for those that are following- why focus on an email that mentions Chuck Martin and not Duke?  I really hope that there is a focus and not a blind eye with Coach K.  We all know he works the CPS system Chicago Public Schools, his players have been busted with gold chains.  All the top recruits are going there.  Lately, he has won recruiting battle with Arizona who is willing to pay big bucks.  The Carter piece should not be all.  Now, what I don't understand is if this is focused on only this agency - what about all the other agents and big time recruits?  Can someone help inform me more?  I guess I'm confused why there are more articles on Martin, which obviously never had legs, then the famous Coach K.  And of course, K says "I haven't been following it.". Really??

45 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Here's what I think.

• I do not think Tom Crean would have any part of anything that resembled this type of cheating.
  • I think people that assume that IU is not involved because of their belief in Tom Crean are naive.  Assistants and players cross the line without the head coach's knowledge on a regular basis.
  • Tom Crean did hire Kenny Johnson and Chuck Martin.  Johnson is nose-deep in the sh*t at Louisville.  This agent reached out to Chuck Martin for a reason.  It implies that he knew Chuck Martin was the type of guy who would broker a deal.  Now, maybe Crean had enough control to prevent Chuck from doing that at IU, but that does not mean that Chuck wasn't the type of guy to do that given the chance.  It's not unfair to Crean to say he made a couple of questionable hires.
  • Every single significant basketball school will be touched by this scandal in some way.  So, yes, IU will have ties to something or someone related to this.  It's that pervasive.  You're sticking your head in the sand if you think IU is squeaky clean.  because no school will avoid this all-together if all of the facts come out.  
  • What IU, and any program, should focus on avoiding, is a case where the head coach himself is implicated.  Louisville paid that price.  Arizona is now paying the price.  Others are to come.  I think we're good with Crean.  If Sean's mess doesn't keep Archie in line, then I don't know what would.  Let's just hope Archie hasn't crossed that line already in the 10 months he's been on the job.
  • As far as this thread is concerned.  The name 'Indiana' appears in the text.  That is fact.  So, yes, the thread is appropriate and the topic is cause for discussion and concern.  The text does not make IU, or even Martin, guilty of anything.  But, it sure implies that the agent thought that Martin may be someone that would make a deal.  
  • College basketball is a cesspool of unmentionable slime.  I think it may look totally different 10 years from now.   

If Crean didn’t want any part of dirty recruiting, why did he hire two slimeballs as his head recruiters?  Crean wasn’t dumb or naive.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

If Crean didn’t want any part of dirty recruiting, why did he hire two slimeballs as his head recruiters?  Crean wasn’t dumb or naive.

Calling an assistant coach who had not previously been implicated in any wrongdoing a slimeball doesn't change anything.

The simple fact is that IU has not been implicated, and it is extremely well documented that Crean was doing everything he could to run a clean program, you know, he cleaned up after Sampson. Crean repeatedly backed off recruits, many times commenting or alluding publicly to things going on and how we had to back off. That's the actual evidence, instead of this kind of finger pointing in the complete absence of evidence. 

You hire coaches based on connections, both AAU and high school.  Coach Knight hired guys for the same reason.  For example, Coach Davis and connections to the south.   Martin and Johnson had the east coast connection, doesn't mean they operate by dirty standards.  It's the head coach that allows it or not - simple.  And in this business you change based on what program you are in.  We know IU lost recruits and didn't get beyond the foyer for some because of not playing the game.  

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I firmly believe that Kenny Johnson left IU for UL because Crean would not let him do the things that Louisville allowed him to do.

I also believe that the offer made to Martin regarding Bowen was based on Martin's reputation from prior associations, and because IU had two draftable players, not because the agent specifically saw IU as a target.  It's likely Martin never even took the offer to Crean.

Crean made bad hires.  I personally do not believe Tom Crean cheated, or would have tolerated cheating, on his watch.

I’m not going to blindly defend IU, because until everything comes out, we don’t know with certainty yet.  

But, as of now, no money has changed hands involving IU and no recruit that landed at IU due to illicit behavior.  

I say, let it all come out and let the chips fall where they may.  The culture around the sport is unseemly. Too many people are living in a culture trying to use shortcuts.  The most depressing part is that I don’t trust the NCAA to fix anything even after the fact.  

Calling an assistant coach who had not previously been implicated in any wrongdoing a slimeball doesn't change anything.

The simple fact is that IU has not been implicated, and it is extremely well documented that Crean was doing everything he could to run a clean program, you know, he cleaned up after Sampson. Crean repeatedly backed off recruits, many times commenting or alluding publicly to things going on and how we had to back off. That's the actual evidence, instead of this kind of finger pointing in the complete absence of evidence. 

If Martin was so squeaky clean like you’re assuming, why would he be taking Dawkins’ call in the first place?  The funny thing is, after all this, Martin is now coaching Bowen at South Carolina (which has also been implicated in dirty recruiting).

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

If Martin was so squeaky clean like you’re assuming, why would he be taking Dawkins’ call in the first place?  The funny thing is, after all this, Martin is now coaching Bowen at South Carolina (which has also been implicated in dirty recruiting).

No, you're looking backwards again. When IU hired him, what had he done? What had he been accused of? What had he been implicated in? Nothing.

Regardless, go read the yahoo article I posted above, Yahoo's review of hundreds of pages relating to this investigation, specifically naming multiple schools. IU - nowhere. What does that tell you? Why are you so keen on saying IU or Crean must've been dirty, when there is zero evidence of that, at this point? 

7 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

No, you're looking backwards again. When IU hired him, what had he done? What had he been accused of? What had he been implicated in? Nothing.

Regardless, go read the yahoo article I posted above, Yahoo's review of hundreds of pages relating to this investigation, specifically naming multiple schools. IU - nowhere. What does that tell you? Why are you so keen on saying IU or Crean must've been dirty, when there is zero evidence of that, at this point? 

Agree, and people want to say look at D. Rose.  Those around different circuits will tell you that World Wide Wess was the recruiter for him.  And, furthermore why is his name not brought up?  Can't phone tap him?

Archived