IU Officially Mentioned in FBI Probe

bstall76

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

So, based on your logic, if we're walking down the street, and I hear some sketchy guy quietly offer drugs to you, then I should arrest you? Even though you never bought or used them? I mean he offered you a deal! If a prostitute approaches you and you walk away, were you soliciting a prostitute? Your logic is so flawed. If an agent is trying to cut deals with UK, Vanderbilt, Arizona, etc...why would he not TRY to cut a deal with IU...who had 2 potential first rounders? It would be really stupid not to. There aren't many schools with multiple first round picks in the same year.

Right, because that ridiculous hypothetical is in any way comparable to the actual situation. Poor Chuck Martin, innocently trying to scrupulously abide by NCAA regulations and getting hounded by agents through no fault of his own.  Talk about flawed logic.  

But to answer your question, if I had previously been involved in a drug selling conspiracy in the past, and I’m walking with a group of people that are all currently buying drugs from the sketchy guy, then yeah, you probably could argue there’s probable cause to arrest me.

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This quote from Jay Bilas didn't age well.

I know Sean Miller to be a man of great honesty and integrity. I don't believe for a second he knew of any improper behavior.

— Jay Bilas (@JayBilas) September 28, 2017

Bilas is a moron who gets on his soapbox and proclaims players need to be paid to anyone who listens because he doesn’t understand title 9 and how employment laws work. You can’t continuously scream “the NCAA must let schools pay players” without taking the time to understand why that isn’t possible.  

26 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

You guys can keep sticking your heads in the sand, but Crean had two assistants that were clearly dirty.  Crean didn’t even bother to deny anything in the statement he made.  Every single major program was engaged in this stuff... If you can’t see that, I don’t know what to tell you.  All we can do now is hope the FBI doesn’t have any more dirt on IU.

I don’t think anyone is sticking their head in the sand.  Most people are just going by the facts that have been presented, and are not making assumptions like others.  You state that IU had two assistants that were clearly dirty, yet you have no proof.  There has been no evidence that IU has done anything wrong.  Could that change? Possibly, but until evidence is presented, all you can go off of is the information that’s been released.

59 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

You guys can keep sticking your heads in the sand, but Crean had two assistants that were clearly dirty.  Crean didn’t even bother to deny anything in the statement he made.  Every single major program was engaged in this stuff... If you can’t see that, I don’t know what to tell you.  All we can do now is hope the FBI doesn’t have any more dirt on IU.

Any more dirt?   There is no dirt.  Maybe some dust but there is nothing that shows any coaches did anything to land a recruit.   It's like the 18 year old kid hanging at the liquor store that asks you to buy him beer.  You say, "sorry kid I can't do that".   And you did nothing wrong.  

Sure an IU coach may have cheated to get a player but right now there is no dirt or facts that have been shared implicating IU.  So why worry?  

Go Hoosiers!!!

3 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Right, because that ridiculous hypothetical is in any way comparable to the actual situation. Poor Chuck Martin, innocently trying to scrupulously abide by NCAA regulations and getting hounded by agents through no fault of his own.  Talk about flawed logic.  

But to answer your question, if I had previously been involved in a drug selling conspiracy in the past, and I’m walking with a group of people that are all currently buying drugs from the sketchy guy, then yeah, you probably could argue there’s probable cause to arrest me.

Chuck was offered a deal that would be against the rules. You are offered a deal against the rules. Chuck declined. You declined. Seems like a reasonable hypothetical, but it doesn't fit your narrative. You're assuming guilt of Chuck, despite the evidence. Why can't I assume guilt of you, despite the evidence? Such a HORRRRRIBLE hypothetical. 

You would actually have a point even if Bowen didn't sign with us, but OG and/or Bryant signed with ASM. Or vice versa. But it's a negative on both sides. 

20 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Are people really going to try to shrug this off as nothing? Do you need video of Crean with a bag of money to believe we may have been involved?

It never said Martin or IU instigated the conversation and if you look at it I don't see IU did anything wrong.  The agent contacted different teams and to me it looks like IU turned them down.  Neither OG or Bryant signed with the agency and Bowen did not come here.

52 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

With all of this $$ being handed out, will the FBI go after each of the players that took money to sign or visit a school?  The only reason I wonder is because I assume none of them reported the income on their federal income tax.

That would be treasury/IRS, but yes, I would expect a referral.  That's easy money for the IRS and they will get penalties and interest on top of the tax revenue.

Interesting soundbite(s) from South Carolina Head Coach, Frank Martin, on Chuck Martin & Dawkins emails...

Frank: "When you have good players on your team, like they do at Indiana, you know who calls the assistant coaches EVERY SINGLE WEEK?"

Reporter: "Agents"

Frank: "For what?"

Reporter: "To get those boys."

Frank: (Laughs) "Imagine that?! So what are you supposed to do? Say, 'Hey, don't ever call me again', and hang up on the guy?! No, that's not the way it works. So, as an assistant, I took calls from a gazillion agents, because it's a part of your job. Head coach don't wanna talk to agents in the middle of the season, man. Please! I don't have time for that nonsense. That's part of the assistant coaches, you gotta talk to these agents...Chuck's a man of family, a man of value, a man of character... Tom Crean wouldn't have hired him, and I wouldn't have hired him if he's got a shady reputation."

It's definitely worth watching the whole interview. He goes in depth about his time as an assistant coach, dealing with agent relationships, head coach accountability and more. Link below.

http://spursandfeathers.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/Releases/Frank_Martin_Yahoo_Sports_PJ_Dozier_Chuck_Martin_agents_fbi_investigation

12 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

Interesting soundbite(s) from South Carolina Head Coach, Frank Martin, on Chuck Martin & Dawkins emails...

Frank: "When you have good players on your team, like they do at Indiana, you know who calls the assistant coaches EVERY SINGLE WEEK?"

Reporter: "Agents"

Frank: "For what?"

Reporter: "To get those boys."

Frank: (Laughs) "Imagine that?! So what are you supposed to do? Say, 'Hey, don't ever call me again', and hang up on the guy?! No, that's not the way it works. So, as an assistant, I took calls from a gazillion agents, because it's a part of your job. Head coach don't wanna talk to agents in the middle of the season, man. Please! I don't have time for that nonsense. That's part of the assistant coaches, you gotta talk to these agents...Chuck's a man of family, a man of value, a man of character... Tom Crean wouldn't have hired him, and I wouldn't have hired him if he's got a shady reputation."

It's definitely worth watching the whole interview. He goes in depth about his time as an assistant coach, dealing with agent relationships, head coach accountability and more. Link below.

http://spursandfeathers.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/Releases/Frank_Martin_Yahoo_Sports_PJ_Dozier_Chuck_Martin_agents_fbi_investigation

He has a point. If you're Chuck Martin and you don't answer the call/email from agents then you're doing your current players (JBJ, Bryant, OG at the time) a disservice. You have the deal with them, it's part of the job. The devil will be in the details, as in how did this particular coach respond to the agent. 

45 minutes ago, BGleas said:

He has a point. If you're Chuck Martin and you don't answer the call/email from agents then you're doing your current players (JBJ, Bryant, OG at the time) a disservice. You have the deal with them, it's part of the job. The devil will be in the details, as in how did this particular coach respond to the agent. 

Something I thought about also... would Chuck Martin be that big of an idiot to bring Brian Bowen to USC if he knew the FBI could have some incriminating evidence against him? If Chuck did something wrong, wouldn't he want to lay low and not bring more attention to his relationship with Bowen? 

10 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Something I thought about also... would Chuck Martin be that big of an idiot to bring Brian Bowen to USC if he knew the FBI could have some incriminating evidence against him? If Chuck did something wrong, wouldn't he want to lay low and not bring more attention to his relationship with Bowen? 

You would think so, anyway.

I still don't think they ever get Bowen eligible, but they must know something I don't.

Archived