5* PG Ashton Hagans decommits, reclassifies to 2018

cohete15

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So not only do we not want the most talented players, we only prioritize the ones that are in state? I'm so confused. So we can recruit over someone as long as the guy we are recruiting over isn't from IN or if the guy we're recruiting is from IN? Can't believe what I'm reading 

Well, it is generally more likely that you can get interest from an Indiana player if you're the IU coach.  There are exceptions, of course.  Perhaps you want to make a priority for an out-of-state player because of some factor such as his dad, mom, sister, bother, uncle, etc. playing for IU.

14 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

In my opinion? It sends a bad message (Indiana kids are not good enough so we are going out of state to get our starters).

Some of the same people saying it's OK today would bitch later about Indiana kids playing out of state.

I agre. One of the problems with CTC and high school coaches was him telling kids they would play then recruit over them on a national stage.

I understand its the big boys etc... but in my opinion not a good way to start off your relationship with our in state players and coaches

23 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Is there something out there indicating that Hurt may reclassify to 2018?  It's pretty late now to do so.  Of course, I think Thompson reclassified late, also.

not that im aware of but considering how the process in Minnesota works and if Hurt is Eligible maybe he wants to as reclassifying is becoming so much more common.

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

No there's not. You get talent that fits your team.. Who is better plays. The end. 

Normally I would probably agree with this thought, but I think this could be a unique situation timing for Archie. 

Having heard how CTC may have burned some bridges with local Indiana ties in the past, I think this could be a situation where you stand pat with RP for this time. 

Getting a 5 star PG who may or may not pan < Maintaining the healthy Indiana pipeline for years to come 

Only Archie can get a feel for the appropriateness for this situation, but without more facts I'd be hesitant to upset people when Archie is trying to plant roots long term in IN.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I wouldn't. I don't care where any of our players are from. 

You wouldn't want a rich Indiana pipeline in your backyard to pick from?

Agree, the ultimate goal is to "get the best players". The best way to do that is with Archie's inside out approach. You are more likely to land an in state talent as opposed to the same level of player out West/East, etc. 

You could see Creans recruiting was taking a nosedive toward the end as he lost this great pipeline through perceived burned bridges. 

If this kid's a OAD, I don't see how that would hurt. Phinisee was completely fine with playing with Garland. Rob is a 4- year player and would definitely benefit from having an elite point guard to compete with in practice and grow from.

If this kid isn't a OAD, I say keep the scholarship for a guy like D.J Carton. At the end of the day, Rob is going to have to compete for the gig. If he feels that he should be a starter for all 4-years at a Division 1 program, then IU might not be the place for him. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

No there's not. You get talent that fits your team.. Who is better plays. The end. 

Oh there is absolutely recruiting over, and when you do it you hurt your integrity as perceived by high school recruits, their coaches, and parents. If you tell a kid, his family and coaches that you're recruiting him to play the 1, that he's your key target at the 1, etc., and then you recruit a higher ranked kid to play that position, you just recruited over the first and sent the message that your word should not be trusted in recruiting -- and it will be used against you by other coaches, and by the high school coaches you just lied to get a kid. This is, absolutely, over-recruiting.

But then there's also recruiting more than one point guard when you're going to run multiple ball handlers, when you're going to develop a kid -- and have told him so -- as a combo guard or multi-position player. That's not over-recruiting. And it's also not over-recruiting when you tell the kid, his coaches and parents, when you're recruiting him, that he's going to have the chance to compete to start and play the 1, but this is DI college ball and there will be competition, always, to start and for positions. That's honesty, and there is no fall out when you recruit the way you informed the kid you would.

The question is what was Rob P, his coaches and his family told? I don't think we know that. It's not as simple as saying there's no over-recruiting, the question is how was he recruited, and what was he told.

55 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Oh there is absolutely recruiting over, and when you do it you hurt your integrity as perceived by high school recruits, their coaches, and parents. If you tell a kid, his family and coaches that you're recruiting him to play the 1, that he's your key target at the 1, etc., and then you recruit a higher ranked kid to play that position, you just recruited over the first and sent the message that your word should not be trusted in recruiting -- and it will be used against you by other coaches, and by the high school coaches you just lied to get a kid. This is, absolutely, over-recruiting.

But then there's also recruiting more than one point guard when you're going to run multiple ball handlers, when you're going to develop a kid -- and have told him so -- as a combo guard or multi-position player. That's not over-recruiting. And it's also not over-recruiting when you tell the kid, his coaches and parents, when you're recruiting him, that he's going to have the chance to compete to start and play the 1, but this is DI college ball and there will be competition, always, to start and for positions. That's honesty, and there is no fall out when you recruit the way you informed the kid you would.

The question is what was Rob P, his coaches and his family told? I don't think we know that. It's not as simple as saying there's no over-recruiting, the question is how was he recruited, and what was he told.

Great post....and I will further add that over-recruiting has cost some schools some dang fine players.

Archived