Rutgers Postgame Thread

5 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

Worst loss of the year.  Gave up a 16 point lead to the worst team in the league.

IU turtled in the second half. First half fell apart, but there was a full halftime and second half to get right. Instead, the seniors played like it was last year, and they folded. Disappointing end to the season

Ken Bikoff is that you?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disappointing loss, disappointing season. But there were some bright spots to give us hope going forward.

One thing I thought was interesting from tonight. At 56-50, Archie calls timeout. We come out of the timeout and run like 10 consecutive dribble handoffs at the top of key, go nowhere, I think Al eventually turns it over. If that possession happened after a timeout under Crean, he would have been crucified on this board. I think Archie has done a pretty good job overall out of timeouts this season, but man that one was terrible.

3 minutes ago, Montana Hoosier said:

When your up sixteen and the other coach makes an adjustment to stop us, like he did, and you continue to try to do the same thing that got you lead, well that is the definition of dumb. This has been Archie’s MO the whole year, he is a defensive coach, but if you stop his offense or make adjustments on defense against us you will beat us every time. Funny thing is we would be in this same position and arguably better if Crean was still here. Crean sure wasn’t the answer and neither is Archie. Oh and the can’t wait until Archie gets his guys here crowd will be disappointed because that’s just another excuse.

What is the exact adjustment that was made that Archie didn’t respond to?

and if a coach can draw up the “make a ton of really difficult and off balance shots” play in timeouts like Rutgers did, then why don’t more coaches draw that up?

1 minute ago, Montana Hoosier said:

When your up sixteen and the other coach makes an adjustment to stop us, like he did, and you continue to try to do the same thing that got you lead, well that is the definition of dumb. This has been Archie’s MO the whole year, he is a defensive coach, but if you stop his offense or make adjustments on defense against us you will beat us every time. Funny thing is we would be in this same position and arguably better if Crean was still here. Crean sure wasn’t the answer and neither is Archie. Oh and the can’t wait until Archie gets his guys here crowd will be disappointed because that’s just another excuse.

Lol I think You need to walk off this loss. We are going to be fine. Coach K had a miserable first couple of years. I'm not saying you are wrong, but I am saying it's too early to tell. This team played a ton better over the course of the season. 

8 minutes ago, Montana Hoosier said:

Must have forgotten the ND game where we routinely -- out of timeouts often, too -- out-schemed the defense. Archie showed he can hang in that game.  Same with Duke. 

He isn't perfect but I'm not sure how many coaches within the B1G take THIS team to 6th place. 

We frequently played lineups with Freddie, Zach, and Al. Between them they are maybe 1 offensive player. 

This team was left high and dry. 

Well, I threw the remote tonight. I guess I get to go to Charter tomorrow and get a new one. I don't have the guts to tell them I threw it after Indiana got beat by Rutgers. They would probably give me another one for free if I had thrown it after the Ohio State game. 

1 minute ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Must have forgotten the ND game where we routinely -- out of timeouts often, too -- out-schemed the defense. Archie showed he can hang in that game.  Same with Duke. 

He isn't perfect but I'm not sure how many coaches within the B1G take THIS team to 6th place. 

We frequently played lineups with Freddie, Zach, and Al. Between them they are maybe 1 offensive player. 

This team was left high and dry. 

I won't get into the rest of it, but I don't like the ND game as an example.  That game was Juwan Morgan.  It didn't matter where we got him the ball.  A lot of times at the end he got the ball at the top of the key and just worked his guy over.

13 minutes ago, Montana Hoosier said:

Oh and the can’t wait until Archie gets his guys here crowd will be disappointed because that’s just another excuse.

I think that those who say "wait til Archie's recruits are here" are simply reasonably asking others to give him a chance as coach.  

Are you suggesting get rid of Archie now?  Did IU not hire "your guy"?  Not trying to bash you, trying to get insight into your posts.

If you don't respond, I will believe you are frustrated and responding as such due to the loss.  I think every fan is frustrated with that performance. 

2 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

I think that those who say "wait til Archie's recruits are here" are simply reasonably asking others to give him a chance as coach.  

Are you suggesting get rid of Archie now?  Did IU not hire "your guy"?  Not trying to bash you, trying to get insight into your posts.

If you don't respond, I will believe you are frustrated and responding as such due to the loss.  I think every fan is frustrated with that performance. 

I'm obviously not him (I don't know if I could live in Montana!), but I think it is fair to question Archie and not want him fired.  This was not a good way for him to go into his first offseason.

A few things here

1. Juwan morgans has looked really slow and tired for about the past 3 or 4 games. Maybe he hit a wall with all those minutes and one day turn arounds. Regardless still playing well but not the same Juwan. 

2. Seniors. Horrible. Besides Freddie who actually didn't play to bad considering his talent he has to work with and he actually sparked us a little in the second half.

3. Was not impressed with Archie tonight for really maybe the first time all year. In the first half Rutgers got a little momentum and Archie decided to play through it instead of calling time out which he eventually had to but was about 4 possessions to late. The run and momentum had already brought the lead down to 3 with the crowd fully engaged. You have got to call a timeout earlier, regroup the guys, and come out with a quick play to score and seize the momentum. Bruiser was even off the bench begging Archie to call timeout. That's one is on Archie! I'm a big supporter of him but I won't make excuses for anyone. That was poor coaching and left us dead in the water at halftime. 

4. Rob Johnson should of been guarding sanders from the tip. Sanders is to strong and explosive for Green and shot right over the top of him. Archie switched Rob on to him in the second half but it was to late once again. First time all year I thought losing this game had a lot to do with Archie's decisions and obviously it's not all on him when you go 5/22 from three. Seniors are really poor but Archie didn't help us tonight either like he usually does. 

Archived