Rutgers Postgame Thread

The curse of the BTT.  With last night’s deuce, IU is now 12-20 all-time in the Big Ten Tournament.  They have never won it, and only played in championship once.   Mike Davis was 7-6 in the BTT, so other than his years, IU is 5-14 all-time.   

Last night’s game has been thoroughly addressed above, but when is IU finally going to get back to a consistently tough program?  I am glad we have Archie Miller, and expect he will get us rolling.   BUT, I admit this season was well below what impact I thought he would have even though it’s only year one.  

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, bstall76 said:

Too early to ask the question or something to worry about.

Josh Margolis @MargolisNews
FollowFollow @MargolisNews
More

Juwan Morgan says he has not made a decision on whether he will return for his senior season

Translated that means Juwan Morgan thought "Archie better land a guard that can shoot from deep, score off the dribble, and create his ow shot because I'm not going through another season like this".

I'm not seeing why there's so much hyperbole with this loss. Yeah, it sucked, and it was really frustrating to watch. But, the loss to Syracuse in the S16 a few years ago was a lot worse, IMO. I mean, last night wasn't the way you want to end the season, but there wasn't much expected from this team in the first place, and even in a bad loss last night, there were things that were positive, particularly the FT shooting. 

I do agree that CAM made some mistakes last night, particularly not calling a TO on that big run (the announcers said he admitted that he was waiting for the TV TO), but he's also a fairly young coach, and is going to keep improving with experience. Once he has more talent and his players in his system, you'll see less of those mistakes. 

It was a bad loss, but the only real tragedy in it is if you don't learn anything from it. I don't think that'll be the case with CAM.

Got to agree in part with Montana.  I've waited all year to be encouraged about the offense,  but even given the roster issue,  this offense doesn't appear to generate enough good shots to compete for a championship.  Hope I'm proved wrong with a little better roster next year.  The better teams average in the 80s. 

19 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I'm not seeing why there's so much hyperbole with this loss. Yeah, it sucked, and it was really frustrating to watch. But, the loss to Syracuse in the S16 a few years ago was a lot worse, IMO. I mean, last night wasn't the way you want to end the season, but there wasn't much expected from this team in the first place, and even in a bad loss last night, there were things that were positive, particularly the FT shooting. 

I do agree that CAM made some mistakes last night, particularly not calling a TO on that big run (the announcers said he admitted that he was waiting for the TV TO), but he's also a fairly young coach, and is going to keep improving with experience. Once he has more talent and his players in his system, you'll see less of those mistakes. 

It was a bad loss, but the only real tragedy in it is if you don't learn anything from it. I don't think that'll be the case with CAM.

These are my thoughts as well. Losing to Cuse was far more devastating as well as several other games. 

Looking forward to off season. We get you know who and add another shooter, Davis gets serious about playing, Morgan comes back we are in the tourney next year and could be a pretty good team.

36 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

I've waited all year to be encouraged about the offense,  but even given the roster issue,  this offense doesn't appear to generate enough good shots to compete for a championship.  Hope I'm proved wrong with a little better roster next year.  The better teams average in the 80s. 

This is my one worry with Archie.  If you are a top recruit why would you want to play in his system when you can go to other schools that put up 80+ pts per game?  Trust me I love the defensive approach, but I doubt many 16-18 year olds do.

22 minutes ago, hoosier10 said:

This is my one worry with Archie.  If you are a top recruit why would you want to play in his system when you can go to other schools that put up 80+ pts per game?  Trust me I love the defensive approach, but I doubt many 16-18 year olds do.

Hmmm.... I know, maybe IU could hire back FCTC as an assistant and let him handle the offense??

IU came out and really socked it to Rutgers early.  I think we were up 16 early.  Then Freeman came in, and he was very active.  We had no answer for him early.  Juan and Freddie but Juan had foul issues and Freddie couldn't handle him.  It would've been nice to have De'Ron last night.  Although Rutgers overall didn't hurt us badly in TOs , Sanders picked off two lousy passes at the end of the 1st half which closed the gap to 1, his and Rutgers game just went through the roof from that point on.  When Sanders got going, we just couldn't handle him.  Meanwhile we couldn't get anything going consistently on offense.

OUCH!

When your only dynamic guard can go jekl or Hyde (Green) your offence is going to look bad. Rob P can't get here soon enough. I wouldn't be opposed to another ball handerler as well. We need the spoon to stir the drink before I start to worry about the offense as a whole. 

We lost. Seasons done. World goes on.

IU's two major sports went through similar seasons. Both football and basketball welcomed new head coaches, and with the new staffs, expectations were high and excitement to move on from the previous regimes was contagious.

Neither team performed up to the expectations of the fan base and alumni, and neither met their own expectations. However, both have a lot to look forward to . 

Those on here that think that IU basketball is going to be mired in mediocrity, need to step back and consider that turning around a program, a mindset, a culture, takes time.

This basketball team went from not being able to spell defense to being one of the best defensive teams at the end of the year. Certainly, last night was not a good performance, but as someone else mentioned, Rutgers shot at a crazy rate. I don't think they have shot that well all year, and I highly doubt they will repeat that performance again. For the most part, we played decently. They just made tough shots.

Emotions right after a game like this are bound to be high and the hurt/anger is at a peak. We'll get by last night, and the program will move forward. 

1 hour ago, hoosier10 said:

Sometimes it's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's. IU consistently got good shots this season IMO, but didn't have the horses to capitalize. It's tough to be a good offensive team when you have literally not a single player on the roster that can shoot consistently, your guards are terrible, you have no athletic wing with any length, and nobody that can penetrate and finish from the wing. 

This team was always going to be a grind on the offensive end. 

11 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

We lost. Seasons done. World goes on.

IU's two major sports went through similar seasons. Both football and basketball welcomed new head coaches, and with the new staffs, expectations were high and excitement to move on from the previous regimes was contagious.

Neither team performed up to the expectations of the fan base and alumni, and neither met their own expectations. However, both have a lot to look forward to . 

Those on here that think that IU basketball is going to be mired in mediocrity, need to step back and consider that turning around a program, a mindset, a culture, takes time.

This basketball team went from not being able to spell defense to being one of the best defensive teams at the end of the year. Certainly, last night was not a good performance, but as someone else mentioned, Rutgers shot at a crazy rate. I don't think they have shot that well all year, and I highly doubt they will repeat that performance again. For the most part, we played decently. They just made tough shots.

Emotions right after a game like this are bound to be high and the hurt/anger is at a peak. We'll get by last night, and the program will move forward. 

IU fans were saying the same thing in 2010.

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Sometimes it's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's. IU consistently got good shots this season IMO, but didn't have the horses to capitalize. It's tough to be a good offensive team when you have literally not a single player on the roster that can shoot consistently, your guards are terrible, you have no athletic wing with any length, and nobody that can penetrate and finish from the wing. 

This team was always going to be a grind on the offensive end. 

Says it all.

18 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

IU fans were saying the same thing in 2010.

If you feel the same about IU basketball and this coaching staff as the staff in 2010, then I guess you are right.

Personally, I think that CAM has shown, in one year, that he knows how to improve a team in areas that matter....defense, toughness, a style of play that can win. Never, in the Crean era, did I feel that we were on the right track. 

13 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

If you feel the same about IU basketball and this coaching staff as the staff in 2010, then I guess you are right.

Personally, I think that CAM has shown, in one year, that he knows how to improve a team in areas that matter....defense, toughness, a style of play that can win. Never, in the Crean era, did I feel that we were on the right track. 

I've always been optimistic in the past, but it gets hard to be that way with Davis, Sampson, and Crean in the rear view mirror.

Embarrassing loss but a fitting one I suppose. Season really came full circle last night. Lost to Rutgers ranked 142 in Kenpom. Very close to season opening loss to ISU ranked 140 in Kenpom. The beginning of the game was a joy to watch. Seemed they were playing Archie Ball and playing it well. Morgan going to the bench really turned the tide and once it was on Rutgers side it stayed there (due to their desire, some incredible shots by Sanders, and our inability to score). Regarding our inability to score, very frustrating to watch and reminded me of various times during the FCTC era where we went on long scoring droughts. Don't think it's a game-changer, but was really frustrated with the refs at the end not calling our intentional fouls to stop the clock and put them on the line several times (especially Sanders being fouled by Smith and Johnson I think and flying in for the uncontested dunk instead of having to make 2 FTs).

One thought about last night, Morgan going to the bench with his 2nd foul isn't what turned the game around. Rutgers started their run a good 2-3 minutes before Morgan went out. The game turned around when DeSean Freeman decided midway through the first half that he was going to outwork and out-tough anyone else on the court. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

One thought about last night, Morgan going to the bench with his 2nd foul isn't what turned the game around. Rutgers started their run a good 2-3 minutes before Morgan went out. The game turned around when DeSean Freeman decided midway through the first half that he was going to outwork and out-tough anyone else on the court. 

I agree.  In addition near the end of the 1st half Sanders stole two lazy IU passes and took both directly to the hole for 2 scores.  They were either on back-to-back possessions or very close to that.  From there on out Rutgers confidence was sky high.

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Great stat.  Where did you find that?

Thanks @5fouls! I used the SportsReference College Basketball search engine. I limited the search to all players who made no field goals but made 10 or more free throws. When I saw the box score I knew Al's performance had to be rare. Here's a link to the list. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=game&year_min=2011&year_max=2018&game_type=A&is_range=N&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&c1stat=fg&c1comp=eq&c1val=0&c2stat=ft&c2comp=gt&c2val=10&order_by=pts

What's crazy is there was a player who scored 19 points without making a field goal!

19 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I won't get into the rest of it, but I don't like the ND game as an example.  That game was Juwan Morgan.  It didn't matter where we got him the ball.  A lot of times at the end he got the ball at the top of the key and just worked his guy over.

McRoberts won us that game.  Go back and watch the last 5 mins. of it.

Archived