Transfers you wish never left.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:11 PM, 5fouls said:

Lawrence Funderburke.  

If Knight and Funderburke could have co-existed, IU very well would have one or two more banners.

I thought about him but if he had stayed I wonder if Allan Henderson would have came to IU since they played the same positions.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

As I recall, Knight wanted to redshirt him, and Rob wanted no part of that.  You’d think they could have worked something out.  

That is the way I remember it too. I guess he thought it was better to sit out a year as a transfer than as a red shirt. I believe he came in with a pretty big class, so maybe he felt the red shirt was indicative of where he fell on the pecking order. 

21 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

That is the way I remember it too. I guess he thought it was better to sit out a year as a transfer than as a red shirt. I believe he came in with a pretty big class, so maybe he felt the red shirt was indicative of where he fell on the pecking order. 

Didn’t he come in as a part of that highly ranked class of Miller, Patterson, Reed, etc? 

1 hour ago, rico said:

We can be thankful that he didn't come here.

He was one big ass. I dealt with him when I officiated. I hated giving technical fouls but when I nailed him I truly enjoyed it. I was hoping he would keep it up so I can could send him packing. 

11 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I wonder why he would transfer then. Wouldn't he have to sit out the year out anyway? 

Interesting question.  He never played for IU(just like Bird).  Be curious as to what the rules are on this.  But Rob did play 4 years at Rutgers.

On 3/2/2018 at 3:42 PM, BEKA said:

Delray Brooks. I don't really know any back story about why he began losing playing time, but if he could have stuck around...who knows? 

Delray had it all when it came to the offensive end of the BB court.  An Indiana Mr. Basketball , and USA National Player of the year.  Heady stuff for a kid from Michigan City, Indiana.  What Delray had in offensive talent, he lacked on the defensive end.   On defense, he was slow of feet. Something that a coach that stressed man to man defense was not tolerant of.   Knight was constantly on Delray about his defensive abilities.  While other  IU players, at the time would let it run off their backs, whenever Knight got on them about something.... Delray internalized the rancor Knight heaped upon him.  Eventually, during his Sophomore year, as his time on the bench increased.... Delray had had enough, and chose to transfer, rather than put up with the ranting from Knight that seemed to increase from week to week.   

Knight chased Larry Bird off the team.  And Delray Brooks.  Albeit for different reasons.  But in both cases, it was Knight and his personality that caused both transfers.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Delray had it all when it came to the offensive end of the BB court.  An Indiana Mr. Basketball , and USA National Player of the year.  Heady stuff for a kid from Michigan City, Indiana.  What Delray had in offensive talent, he lacked on the defensive end.   On defense, he was slow of feet. Something that a coach that stressed man to man defense was not tolerant of.   Knight was constantly on Delray about his defensive abilities.  While other  IU players, at the time would let it run off their backs, whenever Knight got on them about something.... Delray internalized the rancor Knight heaped upon him.  Eventually, during his Sophomore year, as his time on the bench increased.... Delray had had enough, and chose to transfer, rather than put up with the ranting from Knight that seemed to increase from week to week.   

Knight chased Larry Bird off the team.  And Delray Brooks.  Albeit for different reasons.  But in both cases, it was Knight and his personality that caused both transfers.

Mile, do you have any specifics as to how he chased him off? I have heard that Benson was a jerk to him and that Bird was really homesick because he was such an introvert>

Thank you

20 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Mile, do you have any specifics as to how he chased him off? I have heard that Benson was a jerk to him and that Bird was really homesick because he was such an introvert.

Thank you

My personal recollection was that it was more inaction than action on Knight's part.  He knew Benson was being a prick but he didn't do anything about it.  Mile may have more to the story, but that's what I was told.

28 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Mile, do you have any specifics as to how he chased him off? I have heard that Benson was a jerk to him and that Bird was really homesick because he was such an introvert>

Thank you

I am thinking you are talking about Larry and not Delray.   Larry, quite literally was the "Hick from French Lick".  And I don't mean that in a demeaning way.  When he came to IU he was backward. And yes, Benson abused Larry mentally, because of it.  Knight was of no help.  I know of one story. IU was to have a gathering which required the players to wear a suit and tie.  Larry never owned a suit before coming to IU.  So he went to Knight, seeking help with getting a suit and tie.  Instead of helping Larry, Knight kicked Larry out of his office.  Upon reflection, years later, Knight admitted that was the greatest mistake he ever made as a coach.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I always heard that Benson chased Bird off but Knight did nothing about it. 

18 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I am thinking you are talking about Larry and not Delray.   Larry, quite literally was the "Hick from French Lick".  And I don't mean that in a demeaning way.  When he came to IU he was backward. And yes, Benson abused Larry mentally, because of it.  Knight was of no help.  I know of one story. IU was to have a gathering which required the players to wear a suit and tie.  Larry never owned a suit before coming to IU.  So he went to Knight, seeking help with getting a suit and tie.  Instead of helping Larry, Knight kicked Larry out of his office.  Upon reflection, years later, Knight admitted that was the greatest mistake he ever made as a coach.

I commented before seeing your post. same story I always heard.

20 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

The suit & tie story is new for me.  Dang it Bobby...that likely cost you another ring.

47 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I have heard the suit story before. I also heard Bird only had a couple pairs jeans and a few shirts to wear and his roommate had all kinds of clothes and Bird felt intimidated by it. Wouldn't it be an incredible story to interview Bird and get his side of the story. In today's world that story would be plastered all over the internet. 

49 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yes I was and thank you

Archived