2018 coaching vacancies

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/10/2018 at 11:23 AM, Seeking6 said:

It's official. Mark Fox let go by Georgia. To me this is the perfect situation for Crean. 

I agree. However UGA doesn't.

Thad Matta: Georgia offers ex-OSU, Xavier coach job in Athens

Oh by the way.  I have lived in Georgia for a while.  Georgia is a pretty state.... if you like heat, humidity, and dangerous snakes.

6 Most Dangerous Snakes in Georgia

2 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

The University of Evansville Purple Aces have parted ways with Marty Simmons. The front runner is said to be none other than.......  Calbert Chaney! (Remember him?)

http://www.14news.com/story/37717073/sources-ue-parts-ways-with-simmons-cheaney-front-runner-for-new-coach

Cheaney would be a nice splash hire for U of E, but is he actually interested in the job?

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Cheaney would be a nice splash hire for U of E, but is he actually interested in the job?

Just yesterday, I was reading an interview of Cheaney. And when asked if he would entertain a return to IU.... his answer was yes.

My thought.... confirmed my suspicion that Calbert was not a fan of Crean's style. 

Now, with a possible job offer at Evansville.... we may not see Calbert on the IU bench again.  All, I can say, is I wish him the best.

2 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

The University of Evansville Purple Aces have parted ways with Marty Simmons. The front runner is said to be none other than.......  Calbert Chaney! (Remember him?)

http://www.14news.com/story/37717073/sources-ue-parts-ways-with-simmons-cheaney-front-runner-for-new-coach

Having lived in Evansville for part of my life this is actually the perfect fit for Tom Crean.  They should go after him hard.  He knows the state and they could probably afford him.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Just yesterday, I was reading an interview of Cheaney. And when asked if he would entertain a return to IU.... his answer was yes.

My thought.... confirmed my suspicion that Calbert was not a fan of Crean's style. 

Now, with a possible job offer at Evansville.... we may not see Calbert on the IU bench again.  All, I can say, is I wish him the best.

I always wondered why he left myself.  And I am with you........I wish him the best, no matter what those endeavors might be.

Calbert always good in my book even after he left. Why? Because even after 25 years he played for us. Played exceptionally well for us and delivered. He had his reasons to leave and now they make sense...but he gets that benefit of the doubt because of the first two things. Think hard Romeo. This is how it works. 

Ole Miss to poach Kermit Davis from MTSU. Actually good move and a first for the conference in not hiring an experienced head coach who was fired. Howland, Martin, Barnes, Matta if he says yes....it's almost like the SEC was retirement plans for all these coaches. 

Interesting situation with Matta. He told the Georgia AD that he was not capable at this point to give everything necessary to be successful as a HC .

If this is a health issue, wouldn't he have known this prior to going to Athens on a campus tour, interview, etc. Wouldn't one of the first things the AD asked about be, "hey Thad, how is your back doing?"

Matta is still owed something like $9 million from OSU on his buyout. The contract says he has to make "good faith" efforts to find employment in order to still get paid by Ohio St.

Conspiracy theory is that Matta just led Georgia along, played the game if you will, so that he could go back to OSU and say that he tried.

May be a spot for Crean. However with the tournament about to start,  I could see Georgia wait to see who's the next mid-major coach to win a couple of games .

The guy from St. Bonaventure has got a good start and next plays an SEC school. Could see Georgia taking a look at him if he can beat Florida.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I liked him as a person so I hope he gets another chance and Pitt would be a good place for him.

Tom Crean has never spoken badly of IU, since his dismissal.  I read recently that he would lead the team in prayer before every game.  Something I never knew before.

Let's not forget the person outside of Devin Davis's family who spent an entire night in the hospital with DD, after his accident. It was Coach Crean.

As a result of all of the above..... all I can do is wish Coach Crean the best.

Whomever hires Coach Crean as their next HC, may not be getting the best HC in all of D-1 basketball. Yet, far from the worst.   But rest assured, they will be getting one of the best people in D-1 basketball.

31 minutes ago, rico said:

I just don't see Pitt as a good job.  But if CTC likes it then I wish him the best.

I agree that UGA would be a better option than Pitt, for Coach Crean.  Basically I believe he is control of his own destiny.... considering the great job he did this season on ESPN.

Nothing more true for Crean.... when one door closes, another opens up.  He has options.

32 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I agree that UGA would be a better option than Pitt, for Coach Crean.  Basically I believe he is control of his own destiny.... considering the great job he did this season on ESPN.

Nothing more true for Crean.... when one door closes, another opens up.  He has options.

UGA would be the one that I would take if I were him.

Archived