18-19 Lineup(just for fun)

I think McRoberts could turn into a Zeisloft. He just needs to be more confident in handling and shooting. My lineup next year without Langford is definitely I think Phinesse Green Morgan Smith and Davis only if Smith can find range and extend out to the 3 point line along with Morgan. I think that would give us length the only problem I would have is to see if Morgan could get quicker footed and guard 3's. I am very interested in seeing how Race has progressed. If he is good to go place him in at the 3 and Morgan at the 4. If not that then place McBob in at the three and allot him the green light on the three also make him work on his ball handling. I would put Green on the other teams best guard and have him stay there all game. Green seems to get a competitive streak going when he gets beat. Also I hope he finds his consistency cause if he does he would be almost unstoppable with his passing. Honestly next year it is pretty open based upon what is going to happen to these players since they will be immersed in the new system. The only players I know that would be starting is Morgan and Davis if he got his stuff together. I am definitely excited for this upcoming year and if we get Langford then he will be in the lineup as soon as he steps foot on campus. 

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My line-up with Langford:

1- Green (back up Phinese who gets quite a few minutes) 

2- Langford (back up Anderson-- 10th/11th man in terms of minutes ) 

3- McRoberts (with Hunter getting lot of minutes) -- I would guess they will get about the same number of minutes

4- Smith (with Morgan getting minutes here and Race/Moore could get a few minutes here) 

5- Morgan (will also get a significant minutes at the 4) (back up Davis who gets quite a few minutes)

Going to be difficult for Moore to break through in the rotation and for Race to get many minutes.  Its not a slam on his game because I actually think he has some potential but I bet Forrester essentially redshirts.

Put me in the camp who is not writing off Green - he has more upside than anyone else on the team right now, imo. He reminds of a better/more talented Verdell Jones: makes a great play one minute and a bone-headed play the next minute. Both were were thrust into a new system with a line-up that DESPERATELY needed a ball handler, creator and scorer....before they were ready to completely take on that role. VJIII became a good player his junior and senior year because a) he had a whole bunch of game time experience within the new system and b) he was surrounded with better guards who could take the heat off of him (just like Greeen will).

AND defensively Green has shown flashes of having the ability to be a lock down defender when his heads in the game. 

Even with Romeo, there's no way his minutes will decrease next year. If Phinissee is more ready than I'm expecting him to be then I think we'll see some 3 guard line-ups with Phinissee, Green and Romeo. Green and Romeo have enough length that we wouldn't get exploited defensively. 

6 hours ago, Coach McDingle said:

My line-up with Langford:

1- Green (back up Phinese who gets quite a few minutes) 

2- Langford (back up Anderson-- 10th/11th man in terms of minutes ) 

3- McRoberts (with Hunter getting lot of minutes) -- I would guess they will get about the same number of minutes

4- Smith (with Morgan getting minutes here and Race/Moore could get a few minutes here) 

5- Morgan (will also get a significant minutes at the 4) (back up Davis who gets quite a few minutes)

Going to be difficult for Moore to break through in the rotation and for Race to get many minutes.  Its not a slam on his game because I actually think he has some potential but I bet Forrester essentially redshirts.

3 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Put me in the camp who is not writing off Green - he has more upside than anyone else on the team right now, imo. He reminds of a better/more talented Verdell Jones: makes a great play one minute and a bone-headed play the next minute. Both were were thrust into a new system with a line-up that DESPERATELY needed a ball handler, creator and scorer....before they were ready to completely take on that role. VJIII became a good player his junior and senior year because a) he had a whole bunch of game time experience within the new system and b) he was surrounded with better guards who could take the heat off of him (just like Greeen will).

AND defensively Green has shown flashes of having the ability to be a lock down defender when his heads in the game. 

Even with Romeo, there's no way his minutes will decrease next year. If Phinissee is more ready than I'm expecting him to be then I think we'll see some 3 guard line-ups with Phinissee, Green and Romeo. Green and Romeo have enough length that we wouldn't get exploited defensively. 

While I like the idea of Phinisse starting with Romeo, that is two freshman and I think our defense would suffer as a result. For that reason I think Green definitely gets the opportunity to start. Have him shut down their top guard and play within himself. Rob can come in if he starts going to fast. Damezi can spell Romeo and take over for him as a starter in year 3.

Davis may start but I like the idea of bringing him in off the bench and using him as a focal point on O with our other reserves and him going up against a back up center.

I think Race will get more minutes than Forrester and have to wonder if Moore will still be here. 

I really like the interchangeable pieces and the flexibility Archie will have. 

On 3/7/2018 at 9:12 PM, Shooter said:

Our guards this year ranged from mediocre to terrible, and Archie still played a three guard lineup almost exclusively. Justin Smith was buried on the bench until Davis got hurt. More minutes for Newkirk, Durham, and McRoberts was deemed a better option than Justin Smith playing the three.

I'm not trying to make a statement on what we should or shouldn't do. Just looking at reality and how Archie sees things. I would be shocked to see Smith or Morgan get significant minutes at the three. My stab at a lineup:

Phinisee - Langford - Hunter - Smith - Morgan

I think this might be our best lineup next season if we have Langford and Morgan on board.  Langford and Morgan would compete for first team all-conference.  Smith is going to be really good, and I have high hopes for Hunter.  Maybe Green will start over Phinisee if he figures it out, but I’m not going to hold my breath — hopefully Phinisee will be ready to go from Day 1.  And I just don’t think our best lineup will include Davis at the 5... he’s just not quick enough for the pack line defense.  

As others have said, starting all freshmen at the 1-3 might be pretty tough.  Regardless, Green (if he’s still here) and McBob will be getting a lot of minutes, and Durham will be in the rotation.  I also expect Thompson to get a lot of minutes at the 4/5, along with 15-20 minutes a game for Davis.  Not expecting much out of Anderson and Forrester next season.  Moore is a wildcard, he’s going to have to improve a lot to get minutes.

1 minute ago, CapnRon said:

Seems like it would benefit us greatly in the long run.

Not only that but I look at it as he would need to pretty good to start as a freshman over Green and Durham. 

I also understand the point of view saying that is not too high of a bar to clear. 

Coaches play who they trust. 

Archie is going to trust Phinese with the ball in his hands.  Green can start at off guard if Langford doesn't come.

1. Phinese  - point guards know other point guards, Archie starts the only point guard on the team.

2. Green - put some good stretches and can create his own shot but if he starts passing to the other team, Anderson will take his place.   

3. Hunter - this is the recruit I was really hoping to get.  

4. Morgan - needed a helping hand from a 6-6 linebacker to play the post.  Morgan is really good at the 4.

5. Davis  - if healthy he will start.  Our improved defense coincided with the guards starting to figure out how to play.  Not because of Davis getting injured.  

The second unit looks very strong.

1. Durham

2. Anderson who I think will take Green's place if he starts tossing the ball to the other team again.

3. McRoberts - I really like him, but if we don't have other guys playing better than him, we are going to have a long season.

4. Smith  I like Smith for a lot of minutes somewhere on the court.   

5. Race and Jake.  I like Jake's potential and think he is going to help.

Interesting comments in this week's Sports Illustrated from former NBA GM regarding bigs. Said that back to the basket bigs are things of the past. Said that bigs need to be flexible and quick on their feet-able to hedge and to defend the pick and roll/pop. 

When I read this I immediately thought about Deron and how he doesn't fit the description. I hope that he can reinvent himself to adapt to how the game is played today. I hope that Archie has options in the event he can't 

24 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

If Hunter is good enough to start in front of Smith...he's going to be special. I'm very high on Smith's potential.

Different players, different positions. Smith is a modern 4. Jerome is a scoring wing who can really shoot it. I'm high on them both, but they aren't really competing for the same spot on the floor.

Hunter is a unique talent with his combination of length and guard skills. He lets you play three "guards" in terms of guys who can handle and shoot, but still give you length for defense and rebounding. We don't have anyone else like him. This season we mostly played McRoberts or Al Durham at the 3. No offense to those guys, but I think Hunter can do things they aren't capable of.

1 hour ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Interesting comments in this week's Sports Illustrated from former NBA GM regarding bigs. Said that back to the basket bigs are things of the past. Said that bigs need to be flexible and quick on their feet-able to hedge and to defend the pick and roll/pop. 

When I read this I immediately thought about Deron and how he doesn't fit the description. I hope that he can reinvent himself to adapt to how the game is played today. I hope that Archie has options in the event he can't 

I think that today’s game has more to do with fit than anything else. More coaches choose to play fast, therefore bringing in kids that may fit what they’re trying to do... or in other words, players that fit their system. However, there just aren’t many players like Davis left. He’s definitely an old school type that can dominate the block when healthy. 

People often confuse what Archie did at Dayton, with what he’s trying to do at IU. He wasn’t able to land players of Davis caliber consistently enough to play like that. Also not saying that we’re going to play slow, at all. He just has the option to utilize Davis’s assets as needed. Because there will be games when his skill set is needed and relied upon.

2 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

It doesn't fit Davis but it fits Smith and Morgan. Morgan played a ton of minutes at the 5 and was one of the best players in conference and now people act like it's a problem if he plays the 5. I just don't get it. 

14 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I think that today’s game has more to do with fit than anything else. More coaches choose to play fast, therefore bringing in kids that may fit what they’re trying to do... or in other words, players that fit their system. However, there just aren’t many players like Davis left. He’s definitely an old school type that can dominate the block when healthy. 

People often confuse what Archie did at Dayton, with what he’s trying to do at IU. He wasn’t able to land players of Davis caliber consistently enough to play like that. Also not saying that we’re going to play slow, at all. He just has the option to utilize Davis’s assets as needed. Because there will be games when his skill set is needed and relied upon.

It has nothing to do with pace. It has everything to do with spacing and the amount of ball screens. Davis is a great low post scorer but he does hurt us on defense and frankly he hurts our spacing on offense. He will have a role but it's hard to imagine him being a better fit that Smith or Morgan. 

It's not like a serious leg injury is going to make him come back more athletic. 

44 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It has nothing to do with pace. It has everything to do with spacing and the amount of ball screens. Davis is a great low post scorer but he does hurt us on defense and frankly he hurts our spacing on offense. He will have a role but it's hard to imagine him being a better fit that Smith or Morgan. 

It's not like a serious leg injury is going to make him come back more athletic. 

I’m not disagreeing with you about how well Morgan played at the 5, when McSwain and Davis were off the court. Archie will play Davis at the 5 when healthy though, and he’ll log more minutes at the 5 than anyone. Morgan is phenomenal and can play 3-5 very well. He’ll get utilized on the weak side pick and pop at a large clip, if everything pans out of course. 

Davis hurt us more at the free throw line than defensively, imo. He lacks lateral quickness, no doubt about it. But Archie hasn’t and won’t ask him to do more than he’s capable of doing... because he’s limited athletically. 

When Davis was healthy, he played extremely well against Duke’s bigs. In fact... he pretty much kept us in the game. Then he couldn’t hit his freebies down the stretch. If Davis isn’t healthy, Morgan will get plenty of run at the 5 next season. But if Davis does happen to come back healthy, he’ll see all the minutes at center that he can handle, which may or may not be around 20-22 minutes. Time will tell. 

And as someone previously mentioned, I could see Davis running with the 2nd unit on occasion, too. Lots of possibilities and lots to like about an Indiana team that features Romeo and Morgan.

14 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I’m not disagreeing with you about how well Morgan played at the 5, when McSwain and Davis were off the court. Archie will play Davis at the 5 when healthy though, and he’ll log more minutes at the 5 than anyone. Morgan is phenomenal and can play 3-5 very well. He’ll get utilized on the weak side pick and pop at a large clip, if everything pans out of course. 

Davis hurt us more at the free throw line than defensively, imo. He lacks lateral quickness, no doubt about it. But Archie hasn’t and won’t ask him to do more than he’s capable of doing... because he’s limited athletically. 

When Davis was healthy, he played extremely well against Duke’s bigs. In fact... he pretty much kept us in the game. Then he couldn’t hit his freebies down the stretch. If Davis isn’t healthy, Morgan will get plenty of run at the 5 next season. But if Davis does happen to come back healthy, he’ll see all the minutes at center that he can handle, which may or may not be around 20-22 minutes. Time will tell. 

And as someone previously mentioned, I could see Davis running with the 2nd unit on occasion, too. Lots of possibilities and lots to like about an Indiana team that features Romeo and Morgan.

Davis will play the five when he is in because he can't play anything else, but I don't see any reason to think he's going to play more than Morgan or Smith. Those two have never played the three in Archie's system and are perfect fits for what we try to do. Davis is a bit of a square peg in a round hole for us. He has to be able to hedge and recover and he got torched doing that last year. 

Our best game of the year involved a healthy Davis on the bench. Archie saw before the injury how much he was getting exposed on defense. I think we can all agree Morgan is the best of the three, but what has Davis really proved that Smith hasn't? I know Davis had a couple strong games but so did Smith. Smith scored double figures in four straight conference games, has Davis scored double figures in any four game stretch at IU? 

I agree Davis will play 20 minutes per game, give or take. I just think that will be spelling Smith and Morgan who will both play closer to thirty. Then you'll mix in a little Race to round out the bigs. 

25 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Davis will play the five when he is in because he can't play anything else, but I don't see any reason to think he's going to play more than Morgan or Smith. Those two have never played the three in Archie's system and are perfect fits for what we try to do. Davis is a bit of a square peg in a round hole for us. He has to be able to hedge and recover and he got torched doing that last year. 

Our best game of the year involved a healthy Davis on the bench. Archie saw before the injury how much he was getting exposed on defense. I think we can all agree Morgan is the best of the three, but what has Davis really proved that Smith hasn't? I know Davis had a couple strong games but so did Smith. Smith scored double figures in four straight conference games, has Davis scored double figures in any four game stretch at IU? 

I agree Davis will play 20 minutes per game, give or take. I just think that will be spelling Smith and Morgan who will both play closer to thirty. Then you'll mix in a little Race to round out the bigs. 

I thought Smith played pretty well on the wing early on, when Hartman was still working back from injury at the beginning of the season, and before McBob became a viable option. He has some Troy tendencies, but imo, a better shooter than Troy, when he was a freshman. And I absolutely agree that Morgan, Smith and Romeo will see close to thirty minutes per contest. 

I’m really intreagued how Hunter and Anderson will contribute. I know that both figure to be utilized right away, but how much? I still think that a lot of us are selling Green short, too. He and Durham are going to have another full offseason of development and Phinisee will get a lot of run also.

21 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I thought Smith played pretty well on the wing early on, when Hartman was still working back from injury at the beginning of the season, and before McBob became a viable option. He has some Troy tendencies, but imo, a better shooter than Troy, when he was a freshman. And I absolutely agree that Morgan, Smith and Romeo will see close to thirty minutes per contest. 

I’m really intreagued how Hunter and Anderson will contribute. I know that both figure to be utilized right away, but how much? I still think that a lot of us are selling Green short, too. He and Durham are going to have another full offseason of development and Phinisee will get a lot of run also.

Totally agree on Green. He has MAJOR upside; it's not crazy to think a junior can put it all together and be consistent. 

I think Hunter and Anderson are really intriguing. Obviously landing Romeo would impact their minutes, but so will the development of Green and Al. I will say, if we land Romeo I think that will make McRoberts really hard to keep off of the court unless someone can defend, rebound and do little things like he can. Doing all the little things will make life much easier for Romeo. 

I think Davis will be situational player. Maybe he’ll start against teams that won’t expose him defensively, but for the most part I think we’ll play the match ups and get him in when the opponents athletic starters go to the bench. 

I also think he can be a tremendous asset to use when the opponents bigs are in foul trouble. Just feed him the ball and he’ll take it to them. Let’s hope he works on his free throws though. 

I can see him averaging a good 15-20 minutes - easy, but I think it will come to fruition as over 20 minutes one game and under 15 the next. We also have to remember that there will be times when he’s a matchup problem for the other team too - let’s not lose sight of that.  

Edit: I’d also like to add that with the emergence of Juwan, it’s not going to be as crucial keep Deron out of foul trouble because we won’t have to depend on him to play huge minutes (like we thought he was going to have to at the beginning of this season). Maybe/hopefully this will allow him to play a little more aggressively on the defensive end of the court

I’m a little scared for Davis. I’m told achilles injuries are difficult to recover from and many people (well, normal people like you and me anyway) never get their full range of motion back. I am not at all affiliated with any medical field, but back in the day when I played rugby I got to know quite a few people who were.  My understanding is that even having top notch doctors and the best rehab regiment doesn’t always result in the patient getting back to where they were before the injury.

Archived