Rumor floating around.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to hear this, and I really don’t care where the games are played.  We are UK’s little brother right now and are in no place to be dictating terms.  Wins over UK on neutral courts will be huge for our national profile, both in terms of recruiting and tourney seeding.  Plus it’s just a great rivalry... The series with Louisville isn’t nearly as exciting, even with those games being played home and away.

41 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

What is the draw/benefit of having this at Bankers Life? It only holds 600ish more people. Having a game at a neutral site just for the sake of doing so just dumbs down the atmosphere and screws over season ticket holders. 

Sorry, I can't help you there.  I am just reporting what the guy who runs KSR was saying on his radio show.

This is one situation where as much as I can't stand Cal and hate UK, I've always sort of agreed with them in this dispute. I would love for the series to be at AH and Rupp, I really would, but Cal and probably Izzo/MSU's old AD have been out in front on this neutral court mentality. We might not like it, but that's where the preseason landscape is going and IU has been left out of it a bit. 

These big arena neutral court showcases, while not as passionate or fun as home/home matchups, get all the pub and quite honestly they prepare you for March more than anything. Tournament games are quite often played in these cavernous arenas and domes that are half filled. 

The vast majority are going to hate this, but the only thing I would do if I was IU was rotate it on a 4-year cycle so there is some more exposure to it and Cal doesn't get to play in Indy every other year. Maybe something like Banker's Life, Yum Center, MSG, Chicago.

Get it back any way possible.  It will always be a high ranked opponent and IU will be back out of it's relatively dark ages in a short time with Archie as coach.  However, if we are playing all BIG teams twice, there is not much room for non-conference games.  IU will have to play around 34 games (which it appears that many teams do now based on their records going into this year's tournament),  including pre-season tournaments, to get in enough decent competition as well as the required few cupcakes (which hopefully will return to being cupcakes going forward).

I would prefer an annual IU vs Arizona tilt.  I realize there is not a rivalry "hatred" between the two as seems to be the case with Kentucky.  However, a home and home with AZ would provide an opportunity to get a quality resume' win, media outlets would have interest due to the brother vs brother aspect, and the money aspect should match IU vs UK.  A primary difference would likely be no fans split down the middle; given the lack of close proximity on the part of the two fan bases.  Still, I can see this becoming a friendly rivalry with sportsmanship on display (neither brother would want his team disrespecting the other or the team) and that would be very refreshing considering all the past allegations/rumors/innuendo on both sides after another heated IU/UK battle.  

32 minutes ago, iu2win said:

I would prefer an annual IU vs Arizona tilt.  I realize there is not a rivalry "hatred" between the two as seems to be the case with Kentucky.  However, a home and home with AZ would provide an opportunity to get a quality resume' win, media outlets would have interest due to the brother vs brother aspect, and the money aspect should match IU vs UK.  A primary difference would likely be no fans split down the middle; given the lack of close proximity on the part of the two fan bases.  Still, I can see this becoming a friendly rivalry with sportsmanship on display (neither brother would want his team disrespecting the other or the team) and that would be very refreshing considering all the past allegations/rumors/innuendo on both sides after another heated IU/UK battle.  

Way too much uncertainty around Arizona for that. 

Frankly, it's the idea that IU MUST play UK at all costs. 

Bull manure.

I'm not for a series that gives Calipari 100% of what he wants, which is a recruiting showcase in Indianapolis.  If he gets a four year rotation that includes two neutral sites and a home & home, that should be plenty acceptable.  If Calipari gets an Indianapolis recruiting event, I want a marquee game at Assembly Hall where we can invite 35 recruits to see the effect an AH home crowd has on Calipari's delicate daisies, since he apparently feels like he needs to shield them from the big bad AH fans.

We all know it's a total crap trade otherwise.  Who cares if IU gets to play in Kentucky. Seriously...how many players have we recruited from there compared to the number Cal has stolen or attempted to steal from the Hoosier state?  All I'm saying is, IU doesn't need a deal that gives slimeball Cal another recruiting advantage.

22 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Frankly, it's the idea that IU MUST play UK at all costs. 

Bull manure.

I'm not for a series that gives Calipari 100% of what he wants, which is a recruiting showcase in Indianapolis.  If he gets a four year rotation that includes two neutral sites and a home & home, that should be plenty acceptable.  If Calipari gets an Indianapolis recruiting event, I want a marquee game at Assembly Hall where we can invite 35 recruits to see the effect an AH home crowd has on Calipari's delicate daisies, since he apparently feels like he needs to shield them from the big bad AH fans.

We all know it's a total crap trade otherwise.  Who cares if IU gets to play in Kentucky. Seriously...how many players have we recruited from there compared to the number Cal has stolen or attempted to steal from the Hoosier state?  All I'm saying is, IU doesn't need a deal that gives slimeball Cal another recruiting advantage.

Don’t understand this thinking at all.  How would playing a rotating series between Indy and Louisville give Cal any more of a recruiting advantage over IU than he already has?  A game between IU and UK in Banker’s Life will do a LOT more for IU’s recruiting than it will for UK’s.  Regardless of a single game played in Indy every other year, UK already has a national brand that attracts five star recruits from all over the country, including Indiana.  IU does not.  Beating UK on a neutral court would go a long way toward building IU’s brand and making it an attractive destination for high-level recruits, like UK already is.  I don’t see how you could argue that UK has more to gain from resuming the series than IU does.  

If anything, it’s a lose-lose situation for UK, much like many IU fans argue that the Crossroads Classic is a lose-lose situation for IU.  Not much to gain from beating little brother, and a lot to lose.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Don’t understand this thinking at all.  How would playing a rotating series between Indy and Louisville give Cal any more of a recruiting advantage over IU than he already has?  A game between IU and UK in Banker’s Life will do a LOT more for IU’s recruiting than it will for UK’s.  Regardless of a single game played in Indy every other year, UK already has a national brand that attracts five star recruits from all over the country, including Indiana.  IU does not.  Beating UK on a neutral court would go a long way toward building IU’s brand and making it an attractive destination for high-level recruits, like UK already is.  I don’t see how you could argue that UK has more to gain from resuming the series than IU does.  

If anything, it’s a lose-lose situation for UK, much like many IU fans argue that the Crossroads Classic is a lose-lose situation for IU.  Not much to gain from beating little brother, and a lot to lose.

...and I don't understand your thinking at all.  IU is already in Indiana and IU already has the Crossroads game.  IU gains nothing by playing at the YUM center or wherever in Kentucky.  IU is not really interested in Kentucky talent anyway.  UK gains a ton of Indiana exposure with Indiana recruits playing at Banker's life.  It matters not where IU beats UK.  IU got a TON of exposure for the WatShot.  That shot still gets replayed again and again and again.  You think it matters if that shot is at AH or Banker's life? I don't.

I have no desire to have Cal in Indiana any more than he already is.  If he comes here, I at least want him to have to face the crowd at AH every few years.  Otherwise, he can pound sand.

We're going to have to agree to disagree...because I could not disagree more.

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

...and I don't understand your thinking at all.  IU is already in Indiana and IU already has the Crossroads game.  IU gains nothing by playing at the YUM center or wherever in Kentucky.  IU is not really interested in Kentucky talent anyway.  UK gains a ton of Indiana exposure with Indiana recruits playing at Banker's life.  It matters not where IU beats UK.  IU got a TON of exposure for the WatShot.  That shot still gets replayed again and again and again.  You think it matters if that shot is at AH or Banker's life? I don't.

I have no desire to have Cal in Indiana any more than he already is.  If he comes here, I at least want him to have to face the crowd at AH every few years.  Otherwise, he can pound sand.

You’re proving my point.  I agree that it doesn’t matter at all whether the WatShot happened in AH or Banker’s Life, or the YUM Center for that matter.  All that matters is that it happened, and that it was huge for IU’s brand and national exposure.  Why would you want to deny IU an opportunity to get a win like that out of some misplaced sense of pride?

IU would gain way, way more from a game against UK in the YUM Center than UK would gain from a game against IU in Banker’s Life.  It has nothing to do with recruits from Kentucky, and everything to do with showing recruits all over the nation (and in Indiana) that IU can beat an elite program like UK.  Cal already has a huge presence in Indiana.  One game in Indy every other year isn’t going to have an effect on that at all.  The IU brand doesn’t carry a lot of weight with elite recruits right now.  A rotating series with UK at neutral sites would have a huge effect on that.  Like you yourself said, it doesn’t matter where the game is played, so there’s really no reason to insist on a home-and-home.

16 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

We shouldn't get too caught up with locations. This game is made for prime time TV that will draw huge number of audience, which is what IU needs right now. On the other hand, UK doesn't have to play IU and they can still attract other marquee programs for non-conference games on neutral courts. If I were an UK fan, I wouldn't want UK to play IU 'cause there's not much to gain. IU has been down for almost 3 decades. 

I'm an IU alum and love IU, but we gotta set aside our crimson-colored glass for a minute and see what's best for the program. 

Archived