American Education System

17 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I didn't mean to come off sounding as though reading wasn't important.  Looking back, it might have come off that way, but it is definitely important.  Earlier on this page, I made the point that I don't want to see English required for less than 4 years.  I was mostly just saying that all the English teachers I've had and work with are very set in their ways.  They're going to read To Kill a Mockingbird, Fahrenheit 451, The Scarlet Letter, etc., and it doesn't matter if everyone hates it and doesn't read a word.  There are very few things that have changed over the last 30 or so years.  That's the main point I was trying to make.  The current system is fine for the small percentage of kids who like to read, but it really struggles reaching those kids who don't.

Math and science are definitely an area of need.  As a chemistry and physics teacher, if I left my job, our school would be lucky to have a single qualified person apply.  If anything, they would likely get people who have experience in Biology.

I would say that English probably has the most qualified teachers because there aren't that many great jobs if you love English.  As someone who is a chemistry major, I could probably find a job making around $100,000.  Not many people pass that up to go teach.  Same thing for most math and science positions.  Most math teachers right now are baaaad.  Like, really bad.  A lot of science teachers aren't good either (not me of course! lol).  That's why I would love to see more resources given to teachers.  There aren't enough good workers going into education in math and science right now.

Overall though, I just want to see a top to bottom restructuring of the whole system.

Looks like I read your post beyond what you meant to express. I very much agree, on what I know, that there are not enough we’ll qualified or accomplished teachers in math and science - but would say that’salso true across the board, and yes, an education system overhaul is long overdue. Putting resources - money and prestige - into teaching would help. I don’t understand why we, as a country, do not place teaching among the “lawyers and doctors” and engineers in prestige, and pay. Make teaching an economically attractive profession, make it an encouragers, lauded profession, get our brightest teaching. Countries that value teachers like that have stronger education systems, through high school

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived