Haas out for rest of tourny

7 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

So I know Purdue hasn't done much in the tournament over the years, but Painter has has several solid seasons, especially late.  I don't think they can do any better than him, and I don't see them trying anytime soon.  He's a good coach, just not a great one.

Sounds like the perfect description of Coach Crean. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

So I know Purdue hasn't done much in the tournament over the years, but Painter has has several solid seasons, especially late.  I don't think they can do any better than him, and I don't see them trying anytime soon.  He's a good coach, just not a great one.

Can you elaborate when you say “I don’t think they can do any better than him?” What is that based on? 

49 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Can you elaborate when you say “I don’t think they can do any better than him?” What is that based on? 

I'll take a stab...you guys wouldn't be able to reel in a Top 10-15 coach. Coach K obviously isn't coming knocking on Purdues door, but maybe a more reasonable comparison would be Shaka Smart/Archie level. Maybe some of these midrange guys would say yes in getting called up to a Power 5 conference school, but it seems less likely for them to pull the trigger to accept at Purdue instead of IU. The two programs have been comparable for quite some time now if you were to run some data I would imagine...but I think our richer tradition and recognition still makes up a Top10 job unlike Purdue

1 hour ago, ArchieBall13 said:

I'll take a stab...you guys wouldn't be able to reel in a Top 10-15 coach. Coach K obviously isn't coming knocking on Purdues door, but maybe a more reasonable comparison would be Shaka Smart/Archie level. Maybe some of these midrange guys would say yes in getting called up to a Power 5 conference school, but it seems less likely for them to pull the trigger to accept at Purdue instead of IU. The two programs have been comparable for quite some time now if you were to run some data I would imagine...but I think our richer tradition and recognition still makes up a Top10 job unlike Purdue

Agree. To frame the example, IU landed Archie and Texas landed Shaka who were both thought of as future stars in coaching (whether they achieve that level is a different story) from the mid major level. Purdue isn’t attracting the next great star, they’re probably more at the  John Groce level. Groce was considered a good mid-major coach but not a high level future star. 

That doesn’t mean a guy like Groce (just an example, obviously he didn’t work out) can’t become a great coach, just saying Purdue isn’t going to attract the guys that are being hyped as the next great coach. 

I’m not saying Purdue is a top 10 job but I’d say they’re a top 25 job. If Painter was fired or left Purdue, I feel like Purdue could land a good coach with a solid track record. 

15 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I’m not saying Purdue is a top 10 job but I’d say they’re a top 25 job. If Painter was fired or left Purdue, I feel like Purdue could land a good coach with a solid track record. 

Yea, agreed. I actually thought in my head after posting what range I thought they were and came to the conclusion of Top 25 as well. You guys obviously have solid tradition in your own right with a solid fanbase and being in a basketball state.  

28 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Yea, agreed. I actually thought in my head after posting what range I thought they were and came to the conclusion of Top 25 as well. You guys obviously have solid tradition in your own right with a solid fanbase and being in a basketball state.  

Agree with you there. 

53 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Agree as well. Purdue is a really good job. In my post, I just meant it’s not a job that attracts the “star du jour” in the coaching world at the moment. That doesn’t mean Purdue wouldn’t attract a really good coach, as the rising star coach of the moment can often be more hype than substance. 

I think Painter is a good coach and purdue would be really dumb to fire him.  Is he perfect? No.  And i disagree pu is a top 25 coaching job. Pu is maybe the 6th best coaching job in the bigten and maybe a top 30 job. They have a great shot this year, and if haas was playing I'd say they have as good a chance as anybody, to win it all.

1 hour ago, CapnRon said:

I think Painter is a good coach and purdue would be really dumb to fire him.  Is he perfect? No.  And i disagree pu is a top 25 coaching job. Pu is maybe the 6th best coaching job in the bigten and maybe a top 30 job. They have a great shot this year, and if haas was playing I'd say they have as good a chance as anybody, to win it all.

So we’re arguing about top 25 versus top 30? That’s not really a huge difference. So what if it’s 6th best? The conference has a lot of good programs. I’d say it’s in the 5-7 range in terms of best B1G jobs.

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

So we’re arguing about top 25 versus top 30? That’s not really a huge difference. So what if it’s 6th best? The conference has a lot of good programs. I’d say it’s in the 5-7 range in terms of best B1G jobs.

30 is important because teams are really insignificant after that number if you look at a list of every team. Purdue over achieves 2 out of 3 years,  which is solid. There is nothing wrong with painter, which is the actual debate.

17 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

30 is important because teams are really insignificant after that number if you look at a list of every team. Purdue over achieves 2 out of 3 years,  which is solid. There is nothing wrong with painter, which is the actual debate.

Remind me why 30 is the arbitrary number here?

Painter has done a good job at Purdue.  The fact is that for all their tradition and locale, they just seem to fail in the tournament.  Why?  I have no idea.  It is easy to say "Well, they are Purdue".  That being said, I look at a school like Xavier which has had a plethora of good/great coaches.  Where is their tournament success?  

8 hours ago, CapnRon said:

If we would have overachieved in 2 of every 3 years while Crean was coach, he would probably still be here.

I would think that standard would be something that most every program would strive for

8 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think I'd put them 5th behind IU, MSU, OSU and Michigan...probably could make arguments for Maryland at 5 though. 

Extrapolate that out to the Power 5...5 x 5...plus or minus on both ends for mid majors (Gonzaga and maybe Wichita St) and we're pretty much having the same discussion 

4 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

I think I'd put them 5th behind IU, MSU, OSU and Michigan...probably could make arguments for Maryland at 5 though. 

Really what I was thinking as well.  5-6.  Although Maryland has only been to two FF's as well and that was back to back.

39 minutes ago, rico said:

Really what I was thinking as well.  5-6.  Although Maryland has only been to two FF's as well and that was back to back.

And they have 1 non-mythical Championship that I am sure we will all never forget.

Extrapolate that out to the Power 5...5 x 5...plus or minus on both ends for mid majors (Gonzaga and maybe Wichita St) and we're pretty much having the same discussion 

I think that you'd have to extend this even more beyond the Power 5.

For sure Villanova would be considered a better job. Others in Big East? Georgetown maybe. Maybe UCONN. 

9 hours ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Along with Maryland, you could argue that Illinois is on par with Purdue, or better.  I would say Purdue and Illinois are probably about equivalent actually, although they’ve been wandering in the wilderness since they got rid Weber.  Speaking of that, it’s hilarious he’s back in the Sweet 16.

Archived