Big East recommends replacing one-and-done with two-or-none

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22860872/big-east-replace-1-done-2-none

....I guess it's a start. 

But unless the NBA agrees a 'two or none' rule then I don't see how the NCAA could enforce that on their own and legally. If you watch the clip Stephen A. says that adults have contracts, thus, college kids can sign 2 year contracts. This is true, but in exchange for the 'real-life' contracts you get paid money. If you break said contract you don't get paid that money.

Athlete's would be promised a scholarship in exchange for their contract, but if they break that contract they're only losing that scholarship? If the NBA doesn't agree to this rule, those players would be able to walk right into the NBA. In the end what has changed? 

And before you say it, there is no way that a university will be able to impose greater penalties than just a loss of scholarship on a player who would break their contract. I just don't see how that case would be held up in court, not to mention it'd be horrible PR for any school that'd choose to take it that far. 

Nothing will change unless the NBA changes their rules because the NCAA can't make kids stay in school.  I wish they would go to the MLB rule and let the kids go to the NBA or if they go to college they have to stay 3 years before entering the draft.  Also I like the idea and it was one of my solutions as well is to get the shoe companies out of the summer basketball world and have the NCAA take that over.  also if they can get rid of individual schools getting shoe contracts and just have one company do all of the NCAA.

For pet'e sake !!That in NO SOLUTION !! The only decent and proper decision is to  STOP TELLING HIGH SCHOOL GRADS THEY CAN'T DECIDE ON THEIR OWN WHETHER TO GO TO COLLEGE OR NOT !! The United States of America is SUPPOSED to be a DEMOCRACY !! That crap of telling a high school grad he HAS TO GO TO COLLEGE IS A FLIPPING DICTATORSHIP ! Let us get back to letting FREEDOM OF CHOICE RING SUPREME and STOP all of this DICTATORSHIP CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!

20 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

For pet'e sake !!That in NO SOLUTION !! The only decent and proper decision is to  STOP TELLING HIGH SCHOOL GRADS THEY CAN'T DECIDE ON THEIR OWN WHETHER TO GO TO COLLEGE OR NOT !! The United States of America is SUPPOSED to be a DEMOCRACY !! That crap of telling a high school grad he HAS TO GO TO COLLEGE IS A FLIPPING DICTATORSHIP ! Let us get back to letting FREEDOM OF CHOICE RING SUPREME and STOP all of this DICTATORSHIP CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!

So if a kid is good in science in high school should they be able to just become a doctor with out going to college and medical school.

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just saying every profession has a requirement to gain employment so why should it be any different for professional sports.

No, not every profession. I can see your point with Doctor because they hold our life/health in their hands and it needs to be regulated to a certain degree. And basketball players don't need a high level education to play in the Pros. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT BASKETBALL.....haha. 

By that logic, If somebody is a great at writing then they need a college education to become an author????

5 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

No, not every profession. I can see your point with Doctor because they hold our life/health in their hands and it needs to be regulated to a certain degree. And basketball players don't need a high level education to play in the Pros. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT BASKETBALL.....haha. 

By that logic, If somebody is a great at writing then they need a college education to become an author????

If writers want a good job they need to go to college.  You think all the great writers who wrote for newspapers and magazines did not have to go to college to get those jobs.

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If writers want a good job they need to go to college.  You think all the great writers who wrote for newspapers and magazines did not have to go to college to get those jobs.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2013/11/10-famous-authors-who-never-graduated-from-college.html

Well, these folks have done pretty well for themselves.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Sure, most writers do have to go to college in order to find a job. But on occasion an extremely talented author will come along and not need college to become successful. I'm thinking of authors like Mark Twain and Maya Angelou, both who did not go to college. 

it's kinda like when a very talented basketball player comes along who does not need college to become successful. 

EDIT. And remind me again what curriculum better prepares a basketball player to have a profession in basketball? Was it one of those topics courses IU offers? Maybe Gender Religion and History? Elvis and the Post War Era? Earthquakes and Volcanos?

*proud to say I took all those topics courses and the only thing they prepared me for was a better understanding of 'Madmen' and that sometimes it's not worth a dull subject matter to avoid a Friday morning class. THANKS COLLEGE!

31 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Sure, most writers do have to go to college in order to find a job. But on occasion an extremely talented author will come along and not need college to become successful. I'm thinking of authors like Mark Twain and Maya Angelou, both who did not go to college. 

it's kinda like when a very talented basketball player comes along who does not need college to become successful. 

EDIT. And remind me again what curriculum better prepares a basketball player to have a profession in basketball? Was it one of those topics courses IU offers? Maybe Gender Religion and History? Elvis and the Post War Era? Earthquakes and Volcanos?

*proud to say I took all those topics courses and the only thing they prepared me for was a better understanding of 'Madmen' and that sometimes it's not worth a dull subject matter to avoid a Friday morning class. THANKS COLLEGE!

It has nothing to do with how htye play on the court but the NBA wants to be able to evaluate the players against higher competition so they don't have so many bust.  also most players who are 18 years old is not mature enough off the court to handle the NBA life style so it does then some good living on their own on a college campus.

One potential annoyance I could see with this is the top HS kids wanting to get NBA feedback by entering the draft process without an agent. It could become much harder trying to recruit the 5-Star talents and may be left waiting until June to get the top kids to decide whether they are going pro or going to college.

People I was talking about basketball players ! You can be the DUMBEST jackass on the planet and still play pro ball if you ARE 7'0" TALL OR TALL ER AND PUT THAT DAMN BASKETBALL IN THE THAT OLD PEACH BASKET ,VBG !! Of course you would not want any dumbass off the street to be your Doctor ! Of Course , you should want  a Doctor who has been trained by skilled Doctors !1 However , playing basketbal is not Brain Surgery , for pete's sake !!  Some of you are trying to compare Oranges to Apples!1 An Orange will always be an Orange , ( unless it becomes Orange Juice , vbg ! However , you can not make a dumbass smart by making him go to college !! That is my POINT !! Some basketball players are just dumb and no silly rule making him go to college for one or two years and never go to class [ or seldom go to any classes } or take courses on making paper airplanes ,etc , VBG !! P.S. There are still some players currently playing in the NBA who went straight out of high school into the NBA and they have done okay !! 

Not a single basketball in the world is forced to go to college. Is the best option still go to go college if you're a one and done? Sure, it's the best option, but you are not forced to go. Romeo Langford could go to the G-League next season if he wanted to. He could go to any host of overseas leagues and probably make 7 figures. He does not have to go to college. He just can't go to the NBA. 

This post is not a defense of the one and done rule, or to try and claim the system doesn't need fixing, just clearing up the idea that any of these guys are forced to go to college. 

I still say any rule that tells a kid he has to play one year {or two -or 3} of College basketball  before he can apply for work as a player in the NBA when that kid does not want to go to College in the first damn place is a dictatorship and not a Democratic process !! I believe that silly rule is why we so so much cheating that is now going on in College Hoops !! There has always been a little bit of cheating , but I feel it has MUSHROOMED today because of that silly rule that tells kids that they CAN'T GO STRAIGHT TO THE NBA right out of high school ! I agree there are other options than the NBA !! But , the rule doesn't say those kids can't use those other options !! It only prevents kids from going straight to the NBA out of high  !! And. I will never approve or agree with a [censured] system that tells a kid that he can not apply for a playing position in the NBA right out of HIGH SCHOOL !! It makes no sense to me whatsoever to have such a rule and it never will !! 

8 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

I still say any rule that tells a kid he has to play one year {or two -or 3} of College basketball  before he can apply for work as a player in the NBA when that kid does not want to go to College in the first damn place is a dictatorship and not a Democratic process !! I believe that silly rule is why we so so much cheating that is now going on in College Hoops !! There has always been a little bit of cheating , but I feel it has MUSHROOMED today because of that silly rule that tells kids that they CAN'T GO STRAIGHT TO THE NBA right out of high school ! I agree there are other options than the NBA !! But , the rule doesn't say those kids can't use those other options !! It only prevents kids from going straight to the NBA out of high  !! And. I will never approve or agree with a [censured] system that tells a kid that he can not apply for a playing position in the NBA right out of HIGH SCHOOL !! It makes no sense to me whatsoever to have such a rule and it never will !! 

There is no rule forcing anyone high school basketball to go to college before entering the NBA. At this point college is the best option, but Romeo Langford could go play in the G-League next season if he wanted to. He could go to a league overseas. 

He does not HAVE to go to college. 

Archived