Big East recommends replacing one-and-done with two-or-none

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

There is no rule forcing anyone high school basketball to go to college before entering the NBA. At this point college is the best option, but Romeo Langford could go play in the G-League next season if he wanted to. He could go to a league overseas. 

He does not HAVE to go to college. 

Romeo is a great example in the here and now.  I wonder what a European League would pay him to play?

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Not a bad salary......any others?

Looks like Terrance Ferguson made right around $1 million in Australia two years ago. 

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/6/12/15788188/terrance-ferguson-nba-draft-college-overseas-alabama-arizona

And, Emmanuel Mudiay made about $1.2 million in China.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2014/07/22/emmanuel-mudiay-notches-12-million-contract-in-china/12997021/

1 hour ago, hoosiertildeath said:

I still say any rule that tells a kid he has to play one year {or two -or 3} of College basketball  before he can apply for work as a player in the NBA when that kid does not want to go to College in the first damn place is a dictatorship and not a Democratic process !! I believe that silly rule is why we so so much cheating that is now going on in College Hoops !! There has always been a little bit of cheating , but I feel it has MUSHROOMED today because of that silly rule that tells kids that they CAN'T GO STRAIGHT TO THE NBA right out of high school ! I agree there are other options than the NBA !! But , the rule doesn't say those kids can't use those other options !! It only prevents kids from going straight to the NBA out of high  !! And. I will never approve or agree with a [censured] system that tells a kid that he can not apply for a playing position in the NBA right out of HIGH SCHOOL !! It makes no sense to me whatsoever to have such a rule and it never will !! 

If you let the kids go pro who does not want to go to college I am fine with it but I think if you go to school you should be there for at least 3 years.  Why should the NBA not have the right to implement a system for who can play in their league.  All companies has certain requirements you have to meet before being considered for employment.  the owners are paying millions of dollars on players salaries and they should be able to say who can or can't come into their league.

35 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I guess I'm surprised with those kind of numbers that burger boys don;t go straight overseas.  Travel, see the world and make a million.  That sounds better than Wildcat Lodge to me.

I work in the office for a trucking company and you don't have to go to college to get a job driving trucks but you do have to pass certain written and driving test to gain employment.  See every company have requirements to gain employment and the NBA should be no different.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

I guess I'm surprised with those kind of numbers that burger boys don;t go straight overseas.  Travel, see the world and make a million.  That sounds better than Wildcat Lodge to me.

As a parent I would not want to send my 18 old son over seas by himself and have him live on his own.  there is more than just on the court things when determining  if a player is ready for the pros.  Most 18 year old boys are not mature enough to handle living on their own without any supervision and taking care of every day living.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

As a parent I would not want to send my 18 old son over seas by himself and have him live on his own.  there is more than just on the court things when determining  if a player is ready for the pros.  Most 18 year old boys are not mature enough to handle living on their own without any supervision and taking care of every day living.

For a million bucks, I'd personally travel with my son for a year.

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

For a million bucks, I'd personally travel with my son for a year.

Just watch some of these shows and going over seas is not as glamerous as it sounds.  Some leagues don't always meet payroll and some of the places the fans are just brutal.  I watched 60 minutes last night and they talked about Annis from the Bucks and his bother who played at Dayton this year.  they talked about the league they played at in Greece and how terrible of conditions they play in and to me it would not be worth it to send you child over there.  Also I would much rather watch my son play in college basketball in front of huge crowds every night and play in the NCAA tournament.

10 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Understand what you are saying, but if the kid is truly a burger boy, then the likelihood is that he is going to play in the tournament. That's a lot of free exposure to help build his brand--assuming he plays well. No one is viewing overseas games, and very few are watching the G League games. Play well in the tournament and you are a household name to millions.

Imo, short term pain for long term gain (not guaranteed, I know)

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just watch some of these shows and going over seas is not as glamerous as it sounds.  Some leagues don't always meet payroll and some of the places the fans are just brutal.  I watched 60 minutes last night and they talked about Annis from the Bucks and his bother who played at Dayton this year.  they talked about the league they played at in Greece and how terrible of conditions they play in and to me it would not be worth it to send you child over there.  Also I would much rather watch my son play in college basketball in front of huge crowds every night and play in the NCAA tournament.

It's not that cut and dried and not all leagues are the same. You might have to choose more carefully, but I've seen plenty of players speak highly of their overseas experiences.  If I'm a one & done and the NCAA is telling me I'll have to stay in school two or even three years (and actually go to class!), I don't see your scenario playing out.

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

It's not that cut and dried and not all leagues are the same. You might have to choose more carefully, but I've seen plenty of players speak highly of their overseas experiences.  If I'm a one & done and the NCAA is telling me I'll have to stay in school two or even three years (and actually go to class!), I don't see your scenario playing out.

If they want to go to the NBA then let them but if you go to college I think they should have to stay 3 years.  get the people out of the college game that does not want to be part of it and leave it for actual student athletes.  I will still enjoy the game even if the one and done players are not playing and just look at the final four because there are no one and done players in it.

There seem to be some good example of kids making some good money overseas and it's a viable alternative. Obviously, the majority of them are sticking around to go to college and miss out on the money. Sure the reason may be that they are 18 and don't want to travel to a foreign country/be on there own. But I also think that there may be an unmeasurable factor of how college exposure increases their brand value later in life. Just look within our program. Of the player's who went pro how many of their Jersey sales have come from IU fans. How much does the overall IU fan-base play into their marketability and increase the dollar value of their endorsement deals. Look at Trae Young - how much will all that exposure play into his endorsement contracts? When all said and done, do all these 'intangibles' add up (or surpass) that million dollars they may make overseas for that one year?

Every player is different, but i'm sure it's something they think about.

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If they want to go to the NBA then let them but if you go to college I think they should have to stay 3 years.  get the people out of the college game that does not want to be part of it and leave it for actual student athletes.  I will still enjoy the game even if the one and done players are not playing and just look at the final four because there are no one and done players in it.

I'd be fine with two years.  We might have missed a Cody Zeller with a three year requirement, although it would not have shocked me if he'd gone three years.

I suspect in the end, you'll see a hybrid solution...(assuming we see at least a two-year college mandate): (1) The LeBrons who jump straight to the league, (2) the kids that really want to be in college, and (3) The kids stuck in between...not quite good enough to go right out of high school but no desire to do any more school.  These kids will either toil in the G-league or go overseas for the bigger money.

Agree with those saying there is a lot more to the overseas thing than just the money. Here's an article during Brandon Jennings year overseas, it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. 

A quote from Jennings, "I don't see too many kids doing it. It's tough man. I'll tell you that. It can break you."

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/24/sports/basketball/24recruit.html

I see a lot of people referring to other leagues' entry protocol's, namely MLB.  One thing to remember in regards to these other sports is the development needed to get to the top tier.  MLB and NFL require a lot more development to actually get there than basketball.  MLB requires development of hand/eye coordination and NFL requires physical development, that can take years to develop, on top of the time the individual has already spent developing these skills/traits.  Basketball doesn't require a whole lot of development to put the ball in the basket.  I think this is one reason it's hard to say that these kids should have to stay or go.  From a selfish stand point, I want kids to stay in school, to make the college game even better, but from a capitalist stand point, they should be able to go and make their money whenever they see fit.

Archived