Is Mack a better hire than Archie?

19 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Archie is better. Mack is a solid recruiter and Tom Crean level in game coach. I didn’t even have Mack on my list of coaches when IU was looking. Louisville can have him. Mack can collect a huge payday. When sanctions hit UL, Mack can decide to retire and enjoy the rest of his life or move on to another lucrative job. 

Look at it this way.....when a "blue blood" comes calling you take the job.  

My dad is the reason I am an IU fan. I grew up on bobby knight basketball. I lost my dad in 2006.When I look at IU basketball I put myself in my dads shoes. Right now CAM is the first coach I can say has me feeling the same way I did when growing up with RMK.

Not saying CAM can fill those shoes but he is the first coach since then I truly believe in. 

11 hours ago, DunkinDipo said:

Well I can't prove anything but I live close to Louisville and have friends with connections to the program. Everyone I have spoken to said he was at the top of their list. Take it FWIW. 

This is a true statement.  In fact, the mutual interest between the two parties had been established well before the end of the season.

12 hours ago, Feathery said:

Archie is better. Mack is a solid recruiter and Tom Crean level in game coach. I didn’t even have Mack on my list of coaches when IU was looking. Louisville can have him. Mack can collect a huge payday. When sanctions hit UL, Mack can decide to retire and enjoy the rest of his life or move on to another lucrative job. 

Agreed, mack has had a lot of early exits in the tourney with xavier, this years being the worst.  Maybe slightly better in game coach than crean. I'll take an up and coming coach any day over more sweet 16s.

18 hours ago, DunkinDipo said:

Please don't roast me because I do like Archie very much but it's kinda irritating that Louisville got their first choice even with the possible dumpster fire that's about to happen and we arguably did not get our first choice (depending on if you trust what Glass said or not). His record seems a bit better and he has done it in a better conference than Dayton. I realize that X underachieved in the conference and NCAA tourney this year but they've been a darn good team all year. Plus Mack seems to recruit our state very well which worries me a little bit. 

I'd argue the results Archie had at Dayton relative to their historical success are better than what Mack did at X relative to historical success. Both were very successful, but X was a really good, well-established program with roots put in place by two great coschss before he got there. 

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'd argue the results Archie had at Dayton relative to their historical success are better than what Mack did at X relative to historical success. Both were very successful, but X was a really good, well-established program with roots put in place by two great coschss before he got there. 

I would say X had 4 good/great coaches before Mack got the job.  But regardless the Muskies have seemed to be knocking on the door for quite some time, just cant get in.  

If I get a chance to pick one of the two, I will always pick CAM 10 times out of 10. I don't know much about Mack's coaching style and his game, but as I've watched a full season under CAM, I believe we don't need to look elsewhere and think 'what if'. It's only a matter of time; what he needs is a group of upperclassmen he handpicked and trained for a few years. 

As of now I'd take CAM on what he demonstrated at Dayton. He built that program into a repeat tourney team, whereas Mack inherited a team and has had at best ok results.

If CAM had the tourney record that Mack has had, as posted above, I think people would be wondering whether CAM has what it takes to bring IU basketball back. 

CAM's had one season here following the loss of all but one double-digit scorer and our best players, and then injuries. It wasn't a great season, but it did look, to me, like a good start particularly defensively. Landing key recruits will be key, but seems we're on a good path.

On 3/27/2018 at 4:30 PM, DunkinDipo said:

Please don't roast me because I do like Archie very much but it's kinda irritating that Louisville got their first choice even with the possible dumpster fire that's about to happen and we arguably did not get our first choice (depending on if you trust what Glass said or not). His record seems a bit better and he has done it in a better conference than Dayton. I realize that X underachieved in the conference and NCAA tourney this year but they've been a darn good team all year. Plus Mack seems to recruit our state very well which worries me a little bit. 

I think IU did get their second choice, but they aimed much higher than UL did.  No info, but it sounds like IU went for BD first. 

I think Archie is a very good coach and better than Mack at that aspect.  The only question I have regarding Archie is recruiting.  The jury is still out on that question and Romeo along with Brooks and TJD will likely answer it for us.  I'm fairly certain that Mack will be a good recruiter.

1 hour ago, BeerBQ said:

I think IU did get their second choice, but they aimed much higher than UL did.  No info, but it sounds like IU went for BD first. 

Donovan was 2nd choice.  Brad Stevens was most certainly choice #1, albeit one that never realistically had a chance given the timing.

Admittedly didn't know much about Archie prior to the hire....but after watching the product he put on the floor this past season with none of his own recruits....I couldn't be more excited about the future of Indiana University basketball. IU has a "Basketball Coach"...in every sense of the term.

Archived