18-19 Depth Chart

dwtaylor1055

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

To start the year, McRoberts.  I think outside of a guy like Romeo Archie is going to take his time on starting freshman.  If you recall, many on this board were wanting Al in the starting lineup early last season a few games before Archie started him.  (Obviously he didn't stay in the starting lineup, but he was there a few games),  Several of us wanted Smith getting more minutes long before he was.  It wasn't until Davis got hurt he was moved into the starting lineup and started seeing increased minutes.  

Nothing against McRoberts because I love his hustle and get the dirty work done mentality, but I hope by late December heading into B1G play that Hunter has shown that he deserves that spot.   

Edit:  This is also why I think Green starts ahead of RP at pg to start the year.  I hope we get the Green of that four week or so stretch he had last year and not the out of control Green we saw at times.  If we get good Devonte, RP comes off the bench all year.  If bad Devonte is the norm, it hastens RP taking his spot if he is ready.  

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Another good debate. Assuming Langford comes, I have a hard time seeing two freshmen starting on the wings. Also, I think if you go Green at point and McRoberts opposite Langford on the other wing you're doing a good job of protecting Langford defensively and allowing him to ease into getting comfortable on that end. McRoberts could take a ton of pressure off Langford defensively.

The flip side is, how ready is Hunter. If he's an immediate impact guy, which many think he could be, then it might be tough to keep him off the floor. I could see Hunter coming along next season sort of how Smith did last season. 

I agree with both of you. I think think Green, Romeo, McRob, Smith and Morgan provides the maximum flexibility and also put the reserves in the best possible situations.

Rob (and the other freshman) can ease into PT based on matchups and readiness. Don't see Al as a starter yet. Like Davis coming in off the bench and dominating a backup big. 

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

To start the year, McRoberts.  I think outside of a guy like Romeo Archie is going to take his time on starting freshman.  If you recall, many on this board were wanting Al in the starting lineup early last season a few games before Archie started him.  (Obviously he didn't stay in the starting lineup, but he was there a few games),  Several of us wanted Smith getting more minutes long before he was.  It wasn't until Davis got hurt he was moved into the starting lineup and started seeing increased minutes.  

Nothing against McRoberts because I love his hustle and get the dirty work done mentality, but I hope by late December heading into B1G play that Hunter has shown that he deserves that spot.   

Edit:  This is also why I think Green starts ahead of RP at pg to start the year.  I hope we get the Green of that four week or so stretch he had last year and not the out of control Green we saw at times.  If we get good Devonte, RP comes off the bench all year.  If bad Devonte is the norm, it hastens RP taking his spot if he is ready.  

Durham and Langford are two different animals.  At 6'5 and one of the best Shooting Guards in the country, i think he gets alot more time that we think.  Its going to be hard to keep him off the court if he is as good as advertised.

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Durham and Langford are two different animals.  At 6'5 and one of the best Shooting Guards in the country, i think he gets alot more time that we think.  Its going to be hard to keep him off the court if he is as good as advertised.

I think you misunderstood me.  A freshman like Romeo starts for sure. Archie will take his time with Hunter and RP. 

Archived