McRoberts/Scholarship

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Not sure what you're getting at. I said i would look unfavorably at a 5th year senior taking a scholarship.  Kids who already have scholarships when they reach their firth year is something different all together.  

I agree, shut this topic down

I am so confused... so you would look down on someone who never had a scholarship and took one their 5th year, but wouldn't look down on someone who had a scholarship for 4 years and used it their 5th year, as well? 

Where is the line? I do not understand. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Oh course McRoberts isnt the most talented player to ever walk-on; we were talking about on IU currently. 

Without mentioning that he doesn't score as much as you like, can you explain why you don't think he is talented? 

I should have clarified a little more.  I would say that he's more talented than the average person (obviously), since he did start some games for a D1 school in the BIG, but I don't think he's as talented as a typical BIG player.  I think everyone can get behind him and root for him because he makes all of the hustle plays that you want and is very heady.  He's not going to beat you with his athleticism, he's not going to beat you with his offensive repertoire, but he's going to be a decent defender due to his hustle and get a lot of those 50/50 balls.  I like the way the kid plays, but he just doesn't scream super talented when I see him play.  That's just my opinion though.  He's a glue guy, which every team needs, but I don't think  you can win big with a team full of McBob's.  This is why improving the roster by luring a huge need to our team with the open scholarship, seemed like the best choice imo. 

44 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I am so confused... so you would look down on someone who never had a scholarship and took one their 5th year, but wouldn't look down on someone who had a scholarship for 4 years and used it their 5th year, as well? 

Where is the line? I do not understand. 

Where does Hartman fall into this for "wasting" a scholarship? 

9 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

I should have clarified a little more.  I would say that he's more talented than the average person (obviously), since he did start some games for a D1 school in the BIG, but I don't think he's as talented as a typical BIG player.  I think everyone can get behind him and root for him because he makes all of the hustle plays that you want and is very heady.  He's not going to beat you with his athleticism, he's not going to beat you with his offensive repertoire, but he's going to be a decent defender due to his hustle and get a lot of those 50/50 balls.  I like the way the kid plays, but he just doesn't scream super talented when I see him play.  That's just my opinion though.  He's a glue guy, which every team needs, but I don't think  you can win big with a team full of McBob's.  This is why improving the roster by luring a huge need to our team with the open scholarship, seemed like the best choice imo. 

There's more to McBob than hustle (or BB IQ).  Watch him closely.  He has great hands.  He gets his hands on lots of balls and knocks them loose.  He also gets "into" guys and makes it tough for them to get shots off because he knocks the ball loose when the try to go up with the ball.

36 minutes ago, slojoe said:

There's more to McBob than hustle (or BB IQ).  Watch him closely.  He has great hands.  He gets his hands on lots of balls and knocks them loose.  He also gets "into" guys and makes it tough for them to get shots off because he knocks the ball loose when the try to go up with the ball.

He's also an above average athlete. You don't become one of the better defenders in a Power 5 league without having some talent. 

I am out, i am done.  Between @btownqb and @KoB2011 there is nothing anyone can say that isn't wrong concerning Zack McRoberts or Colin Hartman. 

You're right.  I have no idea what i am talking about.  My personal opinion on whether someone should take/use/keep a scholarship is completely incorrect.  You have beaten me soundly with your logic, tenacity, and rhetoric.  I bow to your knowledge and wisdom and forever vow to only speak highly of Zack McRoberts and Colin Hartman from this point forth.  May both of them live forever in IU basketball history and henceforth be known as the greatest of unsung hero.  May good fortune shine upon them the rest of their lives.

14 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I am out, i am done.  Between @btownqb and @KoB2011 there is nothing anyone can say that isn't wrong concerning Zack McRoberts or Colin Hartman. 

You're right.  I have no idea what i am talking about.  My personal opinion on whether someone should take/use/keep a scholarship is completely incorrect.  You have beaten me soundly with your logic, tenacity, and rhetoric.  I bow to your knowledge and wisdom and forever vow to only speak highly of Zack McRoberts and Colin Hartman from this point forth.  May both of them live forever in IU basketball history and henceforth be known as the greatest of unsung hero.  May good fortune shine upon them the rest of their lives.

Okay man. 

4 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I'm sorry. I can't detect whether this is sarcasm or not.

- Sincerely, Sheldon Cooper

😁

16 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Ummmm......Is a statement like that really necessary?  Really?  I enjoy what their thoughts are on subjects.   I don't always agree with their stances, but I respect what they think and type.  Just my random thoughts.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Ummmm......Is a statement like that really necessary?  Really?  I enjoy what their thoughts are on subjects.   I don't always agree with their stances, but I respect what they think and type.  Just my random thoughts.

Agreed.  We're all not going to see eye to eye on everything, and people value different things more than others.  It mostly brings good discussion to the board in a slow period for basketball news.  Sometimes we just have to agree to disagree.

18 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Agreed.  We're all not going to see eye to eye on everything, and people value different things more than others.  It mostly brings good discussion to the board in a slow period for basketball news.  Sometimes we just have to agree to disagree.

As I agree to disagree with you!  The Cards suck!!!!!  LOL

18 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

I get his frustration though, some people are pretty militant on this topic, and it's kind of strange considering our locker rooms seems like it has a really good group of guys who really like each other, along with a solid group coming in next year who have already built solid bonds.  To me, it comes off as a couple people being offended for someone else who is not bothered by this in the least bit, and don't we have enough of that right now in this country?  Why stir the pot?  What's the benefit?  I personally prefer a more positive conversation for an offseason where big things have happened for a program who quite frankly deserves a break.

Plus his comment wasn't that bad, it made me chuckle.

1 hour ago, CapnRon said:

I get his frustration though, some people are pretty militant on this topic, and it's kind of strange considering our locker rooms seems like it has a really good group of guys who really like each other, along with a solid group coming in next year who have already built solid bonds.  To me, it comes off as a couple people being offended for someone else who is not bothered by this in the least bit, and don't we have enough of that right now in this country?  Why stir the pot?  What's the benefit?  I personally prefer a more positive conversation for an offseason where big things have happened for a program who quite frankly deserves a break.

Plus his comment wasn't that bad, it made me chuckle.

None of us are offended. Iowa was never clear when he was saying what 5th year guy should be allowed to get a scholarship and which ones shouldn't. It honestly was just confusing, and I just made one comment and asked him another question and he acted as if I had berated him. Then he discredits McRoberts and Hartman which simply makes no sense at all.. fairly easy to see you win with 1-2 guys like them per roster. Don't care about Hartman's injuries the last two years... when he was a SO and JR and healthy he shot 45% from 3 in conference. If McRoberts was on scholarship, like he absolutely could be (it's fine that he isn't), not one person has ANY issue with him starting. 

I think several of us need to develop thicker skins and I'll admit that I've personally gotten bent out of shape myself when I should have let something just roll off my back.  Age has helped in that regard and it doesn't happen like it used to.  Yes, we need to be considerate of each other and that's not always easy, but we also should not take disagreement so personally.  Hoopster is a Paul George fan and several of us have ragged the crap out of him about Oladipo's success with the Pacers.  He's defended his position and no one has picked up his ball and gone home over that disagreement.  I've had people disagree pretty strongly with some of my positions.  You either defend your position or admit you might have been wrong and move on.  Not a thing wrong with having differing opinions and debating topics as long as you're not a complete ass about it.

31 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I think several of us need to develop thicker skins and I'll admit that I've personally gotten bent out of shape myself when I should have let something just roll off my back.  Age has helped in that regard and it doesn't happen like it used to.  Yes, we need to be considerate of each other and that's not always easy, but we also should not take disagreement so personally.  Hoopster is a Paul George fan and several of us have ragged the crap out of him about Oladipo's success with the Pacers.  He's defended his position and no one has picked up his ball and gone home over that disagreement.  I've had people disagree pretty strongly with some of my positions.  You either defend your position or admit you might have been wrong and move on.  Not a thing wrong with having differing opinions and debating topics as long as you're not a complete ass about it.

plus you have a pretty sweet profile pic 

6 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

CapnRon, is that your Boston or just some random picture. I am a huge Boston Terrier fan.  My favorite dogs of all time

That's my buddy Conan lol.  We have 2, they are awesome, but I'm thinking about changing their names to McRoberts and Hartman.

25 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

That's my buddy Conan lol.  We have 2, they are awesome, but I'm thinking about changing their names to McRoberts and Hartman.

Careful about the name change.  Not sure you could afford the vet bill for hartmant and McBob will probably run hard and play fast but never crap when he should :)

25 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Careful about the name change.  Not sure you could afford the vet bill for hartmant and McBob will probably run hard and play fast but never crap when he should :)

But in the end they are awesome dogs you win championships with? lol how are you going to tie that one into the discussion? 

I disappeared from this thread when it was implied any poster who questioned McRoberts lack of not receiving a scholarship was questioning CAM's integrity.  Shame on me for doing such.  My only implication was that a conversation none of us may ever know about ( hard for me to be upset/offended over that ), gave not plausible deniability, but credence to CAM's character.  Nothing to deny when past precedent shows nothing but the best with our coach.  He didn't poach McKinley Wright, he kept a recruiting class he didnt bring in in tact.  Not sure why those who post in defense of McRoberts receiving a scholly in a woulda coulda possibly sense were questioning CAM in any way.  And no, because anyone disagrees with this viewpoint doesnt mean I am attacking you or think you are wrong.  My posts simply offer my view point and discussion on a discussion board.

Also, I thank the moderator team for keeping this open despite several requests to lock it up.

Archived