Beilein Interviewing for Pistons Job

12 minutes ago, jimsorgi said:

Yeah, agree.

Also not sure why we give so much credibility to Dakich on the after-the-fact WV story. He hasn't exactly shown himself to be credible.

Yikes.  Another hot take for me.  Here I was giving him credit for turning down the job.  And I also recall, it was his wife at the time who was most outraged by what was going on at WVU.  And yet... YOU .... hit the nail on the head.  Events and statements.... since then take away much of Dak's cred for me. 

Gosh.... you guys keep messing with my mind.  And I love it.  Don't stop !

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great thoughts and posts.   

As Fouls intimated, college basketball needs JB to be clean with the circus that is following.  My post about the Austin Hatch fanfare, I do believe the event was for the right reasons and I do not want it to turn out any other way.

5 hours ago, rico said:

The question is what was going on at WV?  The tidbits I heard were that drugs were rampant and players were getting paid to play.  IIRC, only one player was dismissed from the squad when Beilein took it over.  Just can't remember the player's name though.

DD said one of the recruits told  him that he was promised $50,00 by the old coach and that is what caused DD to back out of WVU.

On 6/2/2018 at 9:03 AM, milehiiu said:

I think that's a legit statement.  I was thinking much along the same lines as you.   Take Kelvin Sampson for example.  He had to do some things at IU for the right reasons... didn't he ?  Can't think of one right now.  But I am sure there were some.  LOL.

Always a tough balance. Take Bo Ryan for example. From what I've read very clean, no problems with rules,etc.....but off the court he had open affairs for years. Was common knowledge yet everyone thought he was great for college basketball. Different strokes I guess.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Different strokes I guess.

A unique choice of word there, 6.  Not sure if it was intentional or not.  However, found it if not appropriate, very funny.

And with that, you have  earned the very coveted milehi ..... "WELL DONE", for the day.  Congrats !

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

A unique choice of word there, 6.  Not sure if it was intentional or not.  However, found it if not appropriate, very funny.

And with that, you have  earned the very coveted milehi ..... "WELL DONE", for the day.  Congrats !

It wasn't intentional. Had golf on the brain...haha! 

21 minutes ago, Fundamentals said:

Saw a post this morning from MICH fan.  They are concerned. 

At this point I would be too. From distance it just seems like normal bargaining but maybe another round of interviews coupled with what a few connected people on here have said....maybe it's time for JB to run. 

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Considering Beilein's age, the Pistons likely are looking at him as a short term transitionary measure to a longer term plan.

With all of your ex's, you seem to be the expert on transitionary measures. :coffee:

48 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Considering Beilein's age, the Pistons likely are looking at him as a short term transitionary measure to a longer term plan.

I don’t think the Pistons don’t have a longer term plan.  They are a terribly run franchise right now.

On the way home from Terre Haute I was listening  to the DD show and Brad Stevens was on the show today.  Asked about Beilein Stevens said he was one of the best coaches in basketball and going to the NBA wouldn't come down to how good of a coach he is.  He said it would come down on how well the organization around him does there jobs and how much support he would get from them

Stevens also has said that a lot of college coaches contact him about coaching the NBA and most if them ask how much better are the summers are in the NBA compared to coaching college.  He told them it is a lot easier than being in a gym at 8am until 10pm during the summer recruiting period.  He said the last week or so he pretty much goes to the office from 9-2 then after that he has been taking his daughter to theatre practice.  tome this is the only advantage coaching in the NBA compared to coaching in college.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

On the way home from Terre Haute I was listening  to the DD show and Brad Stevens was on the show today.  Asked about Beilein Stevens said he was one of the best coaches in basketball and going to the NBA wouldn't come down to how good of a coach he is.  He said it would come down on how well the organization around him does there jobs and how much support he would get from them

Stevens also has said that a lot of college coaches contact him about coaching the NBA and most if them ask how much better are the summers are in the NBA compared to coaching college.  He told them it is a lot easier than being in a gym at 8am until 10pm during the summer recruiting period.  He said the last week or so he pretty much goes to the office from 9-2 then after that he has been taking his daughter to theatre practice.  tome this is the only advantage coaching in the NBA compared to coaching in college.

I had mentioned recruiting specifically in either this thread or another about why Izzo might want to bounce and head to Orlando. Someone came along and scoffed at the idea. Glad to know Stevens and I are on the same page. Recruiting is year round. No break at all. 

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That whole having time for your family is a hell of an advantage, though. And not dealing with teenagers impacting your job security. 

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

That whole having time for your family is a hell of an advantage, though. And not dealing with teenagers impacting your job security. 

Yea no kidding, in my hypotethical coaching world I've heard enough from Stevens comments to choose being an NBA coach over a college coach if given the choice. Better work life balance and a fatter pay check? Yes Please 

5 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

I had a feeling all along that this was legitimate. He’s been intrigued by the league for a while now and he’s getting up there in age. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he takes it if he’s offered because he might not get the chance again. 

Considering that he's been to the title game twice in a handful of years yet still makes less than Tom Crean I wouldn't blame him a bit if he took the job.

9 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Considering that he's been to the title game twice in a handful of years yet still makes less than Tom Crean I wouldn't blame him a bit if he took the job.

I think that's an agent problem. Sorry for the humor for those who don't know who his agent is. 

Archived