General NBA Thread

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

If the P's get Evans that would be big for sure, really good player and should compliment Vic well. If the Thunder get him they're probably right back in the picture for top of the West. This has been a crazy off season and it's only July 3.

Maybe the NBA needs a hard cap. Trying to limit player salaries at this point would be a major uphill fight. New trade/movement restrictions, a hard cap, and related adjustments should be considered, imo.

I think Bog would still start because Evans and McD would go better off the bench than McD and Bog would, if that makes sense. 

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

Well Washington DC is only the 20 largest city in the US behind Indy and Columbus Ohio so I wouldn't say they are a huge market.

You can't base market size on the population of the city itself.  It's the entire metropolitan area that matters.  

A much more meaningful comparison is TV Market size.  In other words, how many TV viewers are reached over the local affiliate stations.

DC is 6th.

Indianapolis is 28th

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_television_markets

Millions of people live in the DC area, but outside the official city limits.

Saw on ESPN.com that Evans is meeting with the Pacers and said they both want to get a deal worked out but there is work to be done.  Also I don't see Evans wanting to  come to the Pacers and come off the bench instead of going somewhere to start.

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You can't base market size on the population of the city itself.  It's the entire metropolitan area that matters.  

A much more meaningful comparison is TV Market size.  In other words, how many TV viewers are reached over the local affiliate stations.

DC is 6th.

Indianapolis is 28th

I think what hurts teams in Washington DC and Florida or Arizona is that the population there are not originally from that area.  They move there from other cities and stay fans of their home town team and that hurts the teams in those area attendance or number of fans they have.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Saw on ESPN.com that Evans is meeting with the Pacers and said they both want to get a deal worked out but there is work to be done.  Also I don't see Evans wanting to  come to the Pacers and come off the bench instead of going somewhere to start.

If he wants to win he will. If not... deuces. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Turner, Thad, Bog, Vic, DC

Sabonis, Leaf, McD, Evans, CJ

Just cant play McD, Bog, and Leaf all together. 

I agree Bogdonovic should start.  Evans could still get 25 minutes.  I don't see Leaf being a rotation player though.  I think Holiday gets some minutes by mid-season.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I agree Bogdonovic should start.  Evans could still get 25 minutes.  I don't see Leaf being a rotation player though.  I think Holiday gets some minutes by mid-season.

Check out Leafs numbers when he played 15mins or more last year. A lot better than you think. Hes already added 18lbs since last summer wants to add another 7lbs before the season. If not him at the back up 4, then who? He would end up getting about 18mins per game with Turner, Sab, and Thad getting the majority. At 18mins per game I think you can hide him defensively and use his shooting (56% from 3 in games he played 15 mins or more). 

The NBA has always had super teams. It’s why a handful of teams have over half of the championships. Celtics x2, Lakers x2, Pistons, Bulls, Heat, Spurs, GS....the NBA has almost always been about super dominant teams. There have been many exceptions but it’s always been a top heavy league. It’s no different now. Pacers are a team that is happy with putting butts in the seats and making playoffs but won’t spend to go over the cap. I’m not mad about GS...it’s just the latest super team. I’m not going to whine either...always been an underdog so it will just make when a team upsets them that much more special. Like Giants beating the Patriots...people have a hard time remembering SB champs but if the Pacers beat GS for a championship...it would mean more and be remembered longer.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Check out Leafs numbers when he played 15mins or more last year. A lot better than you think. Hes already added 18lbs since last summer wants to add another 7lbs before the season. If not him at the back up 4, then who? He would end up getting about 18mins per game with Turner, Sab, and Thad getting the majority. At 18mins per game I think you can hide him defensively and use his shooting (56% from 3 in games he played 15 mins or more). 

They usually play a 9 man rotation with 3 big's playing the 4 and 5 spots with Turner, Sabonis and Young.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They usually play a 9 man rotation with 3 big's playing the 4 and 5 spots with Turner, Sabonis and Young.

Booker got mins at end of the year... and the reason they played a 3 man big guy roatation was because before they got Booker, they didnt have anyone to rotate in. 

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The NBA has always had super teams. It’s why a handful of teams have over half of the championships. Celtics x2, Lakers x2, Pistons, Bulls, Heat, Spurs, GS....the NBA has almost always been about super dominant teams. There have been many exceptions but it’s always been a top heavy league. It’s no different now. Pacers are a team that is happy with putting butts in the seats and making playoffs but won’t spend to go over the cap. I’m not mad about GS...it’s just the latest super team. I’m not going to whine either...always been an underdog so it will just make when a team upsets them that much more special. Like Giants beating the Patriots...people have a hard time remembering SB champs but if the Pacers beat GS for a championship...it would mean more and be remembered longer.

Big difference in beating someone 4 out of 7, rather than once. But I agree with everything you've said. 

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Big difference in beating someone 4 out of 7, rather than once. But I agree with everything you've said. 

Oh no doubt...it’s why college basketball is so wonderful and frustrating all in one. March madness is full of such hope...yet you can also be the better team and get upset. The NBA is hard for me to watch. Regular season is almost worthless. Like GS will coast and then when playoffs come it won’t be even close...but it would make the underdog story so powerful if they face say Indy or anyone from the East really. Last couple years have not been great...hard to have an underdog playing against Lebron.

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Oh no doubt...it’s why college basketball is so wonderful and frustrating all in one. March madness is full of such hope...yet you can also be the better team and get upset. The NBA is hard for me to watch. Regular season is almost worthless. Like GS will coast and then when playoffs come it won’t be even close...but it would make the underdog story so powerful if they face say Indy or anyone from the East really. Last couple years have not been great...hard to have an underdog playing against Lebron.

Good post and welcome to the jungle...

Just now, FKIM01 said:

Good post and welcome to the jungle...

Thanks. I’ve lurked for awhile...then had issues signing up but glad to be here. I’ve posted for a long time on the Colts forums but wanted a place that followed our Hoosiers a little closer. It’s an exciting time again and I’ve been pretty depressed living in Kentucky listening to these low basketball IQ fans talk about their Cats and admitting I was a Hoosier fan was hard. But with Crean gone I am confident we will be back at the top where we belong lol.

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Booker got mins at end of the year... and the reason they played a 3 man big guy roatation was because before they got Booker, they didnt have anyone to rotate in. 

Yes..but Sabonis and Turner often get into foul trouble. While I am not big on Leaf I can see him be a stretch 4....but I do think we could use another 5 now Al is gone. Someone that can protect the paint. I think O’Quinn or Harrell would be nice additions.

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

I was just thinking east coast. Maybe they are.. I dont know. 

No, they aren't. Neither is Atlanta. What is relevant is the metro areas. DC is huge, so is Atlanta, so is Phoenix, so are a few more on that list. 

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

DC is 6th.

Indianapolis is 28th

Yes. The main thing is tv market as that is where teams primarily get their money from and can reach out to their fan base. It isn’t the end all be all measure but I would say that if your wanting to measure big market vs small market you would go to that information. I mean there are some markets that might be considered bigger than just the tv market like say Boston because the surrounding states and population may not have a sports team thus why say the Patriots, Red Sox and Celtics and Bruins are so popular. Some teams might even bleed into other large tv markets without a sports team but there is a huge drop off from say the top 10 to the rest of the markets.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Yes..but Sabonis and Turner often get into foul trouble. While I am not big on Leaf I can see him be a stretch 4....but I do think we could use another 5 now Al is gone. Someone that can protect the paint. I think O’Quinn or Harrell would be nice additions.

Yeah.. we will pick up someone like that. But I still think the backup 4 mins are going to Leaf. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yeah.. we will pick up someone like that. But I still think the backup 4 mins are going to Leaf. 

I would think so to develop him. I was not happy at all with the pick because of his defensive issues and lack of rebounding but we will have to give him minutes to see what he can bring. We will have big decisions with Myles and Sabonis and Young next offseason. Have to see if Leaf can be viable for us.

26 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I would think so to develop him. I was not happy at all with the pick because of his defensive issues and lack of rebounding but we will have to give him minutes to see what he can bring. We will have big decisions with Myles and Sabonis and Young next offseason. Have to see if Leaf can be viable for us.

Leaf is a better reb than you'd think though. Numbers are good. 

35 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Poor guy will forever be known as the Pacer picked when OG Anunoby was available.  Not many mistakes made by the current front office so that one sticks out like a sore thumb.

Archived