56 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

IU ended  the non conference season  in a tournament game against Michigan State.  Not sure if that would have been considered a conference game.

Not sure if that answers the question, or if sports-reference.com has got it right.

Interestingly enough, IU played two B1G teams in the NIT in 1979.

1978–79 Indiana Hoosiers men's basketball team 

Oddly enough, Maryland was in the NIT that year?

Just now, rico said:

Point being?

The difference that would have happened for both franchises. I guess 1979 that is what I think about...is Larry....first it was what if he had remained at Indiana...then what if he had become a Pacer instead of Celtic. Nothing special.

Just now, dgambill said:

The difference that would have happened for both franchises. I guess 1979 that is what I think about...is Larry....first it was what if he had remained at Indiana...then what if he had become a Pacer instead of Celtic. Nothing special.

The Pacers could have drafted him in '78.  

1 minute ago, rico said:

The Pacers could have drafted him in '78.  

I think they would have if he had come out. If he had stayed at Indiana he wouldn't have sit out a year. They were worried he was going to re-enter the draft. The pick was traded a couple times because of that and Boston had the money and was willing to wait him out. True Pacers could have done the same thing....but I come back if he stayed at IU...they wouldn't have had to deal with it in 1979....anyways..it's just a dumb thought of mine when I hear about 1979 and I think of Larry vs Magic.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I think they would have if he had come out. If he had stayed at Indiana he wouldn't have sit out a year. They were worried he was going to re-enter the draft. The pick was traded a couple times because of that and Boston had the money and was willing to wait him out. True Pacers could have done the same thing....but I come back if he stayed at IU...they wouldn't have had to deal with it in 1979....anyways..it's just a dumb thought of mine when I hear about 1979 and I think of Larry vs Magic.

Put the IU stuff out of your mind.  The fact is that he was draft eligible in '78.  How it worked in those days.  I didn't make the rules.  

9 minutes ago, rico said:

Put the IU stuff out of your mind.  The fact is that he was draft eligible in '78.  How it worked in those days.  I didn't make the rules.  

Ok....reason why the IU stuff mattered is if he stayed at IU his senior season WOULD have been 78. Because he had to sit out a year at ISU. The Pacers wouldn't have had to worry about him re-entering the draft and would have kept the pick....or am I missing something. Not only would it have altered the course of Indiana athletics but the Pacers too. I guess maybe I'm missing something...thought that was interesting but maybe I just need to stick to 1979 being special because I was born that year lol!!!

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Ok....reason why the IU stuff mattered is if he stayed at IU his senior season WOULD have been 78. Because he had to sit out a year at ISU. The Pacers wouldn't have had to worry about him re-entering the draft and would have kept the pick....or am I missing something. Not only would it have altered the course of Indiana athletics but the Pacers too. I guess maybe I'm missing something...thought that was interesting but maybe I just need to stick to 1979 being special because I was born that year lol!!!

It's alright.

Bird was draft eligible in '78.  He had sit out 4 years, so to speak, after high school.  That is how the NBA looked at it.  The Sycamores magical season of '79 is well documented.........but Larry was a "stud" in the previous season.  IU mucked up, the Pacers mucked up......the Celtics are still grinning.  Still makes me sick to my stomach.  

Archived