Jon Rothstein's B1G Power Rankings/Individual Recognition

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Would you take either Iowa or Minnesota over Purdue this year?

Idk.. but to say "it's absurd" to think that is just not true. Again.. talent wise they are better. I dont know enough of players 4-8 on purdue's roster.. but I know Purdue will be fairly inexperienced. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Why you’d cite the Purdue free board is beyond me. No legit Purdue poster believes that and the vast majority know and acknowledge how good Romeo is/will be. I could go find some stupid crap on the iu free board and post it here but it’s silly because it’s not representative of the majority of the fanbase. 

You fail to understand the entertainment value of that forum.  Like them or not, your GBIers are off the charts for entertainment purposes and I guarantee that posters like Arch and Twin Degrees feel like they are very much legit, even though they post like ignoramuses.  Here, we have HTD and most of us love it when he goes off on one of his rants.

Realistically, Purdue probably finishes ahead of little Ricky because he's just that bad.  He has some talent, which gives him a chance, but you and I would agree that he's at least borderline incompetent.  Fran is a better coach but beyond one player, I don't know his personnel very well this year.

8 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think PU will finish higher than 9th, but Iowa? Possibly. PU is just not going to be as good this year, it's probably a down year for you guys. 

DJ posted this in the Expectations thread:

image.png.c9952ee7ab57696e01d940a24dfffffd.png

I'm not good with numbers, but that looks like 9th to me.  

7 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think PU will finish higher than 9th, but Iowa? Possibly. PU is just not going to be as good this year, it's probably a down year for you guys. 

DJ posted this in the Expectations thread:

image.png.c9952ee7ab57696e01d940a24dfffffd.png

Who put this together? I'd like to loon into it a little more. 

22 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Why should either finish ahead of Purdue? Why would anyone pick Fran and Iowa over Purdue based on his track record there? Or Little Pitino?

You mean Fran, who’s had the exact same or better conference record than Painter for half the time he’s been at Iowa?  That track record?  Unfortunately for you, Painter hasn’t had nearly enough success for you to act like he and Fran aren’t even in the same league.  You have a better argument regarding Pitino, considering how awful he is.

Both Iowa and Minnesota should finish ahead of Purdue because they will have more talent from top to bottom.  Personally, I would bet that Minnesota won’t, but Iowa will.  And I would also put a lot of money on the field over Edwards for BTPOY. 

3 hours ago, Danomatic said:

Also, Justin Smith is going to be fantastic! I think that a trio of Romeo, Smith and Morgan will be very formidable.

With 2 superstars you are going to be good. With 3 superstars you are elite. Positions 4 and 5 just have to fill their roles. Morgan and Romeo will carry us many a game. Can Smith step up and be the 3rd weapon? With all the complimentary pieces, I like the chances of a few guys stepping up. 

31 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

You mean Fran, who’s had the exact same or better conference record than Painter for half the time he’s been at Iowa?  That track record?  Unfortunately for you, Painter hasn’t had nearly enough success for you to act like he and Fran aren’t even in the same league.  You have a better argument regarding Pitino, considering how awful he is.

Both Iowa and Minnesota should finish ahead of Purdue because they will have more talent from top to bottom.  Personally, I would bet that Minnesota won’t, but Iowa will.  And I would also put a lot of money on the field over Edwards for BTPOY. 

Fran’s conference record:

4-14

8-10

9-9

9-9

12-6

12-6

10-8

4-14

Overall: 67-75

Painter:

3-13

9-7

15-3

11-7

14-4

14-4

10-8

8-10

5-13

12-6

12-6

14-4

15-3

Overall: 142-88

Fran only has 3 winning conference seasons at Iowa while Painter only has 3 losing conference seasons at Purdue. Fran’s 2 best years were 12-6 and he hasn’t come close to accomplishing that minus those 2 years. I mean he has a losing record in conference play which speaks for itself. 

56 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think 5-7 range makes sense for Purdue. Laughable to think Iowa or Minnesota are picked ahead of Purdue. That’s absurd. 

I don't think it's absurd boiler. I think the league will be really tight this year. There are so many teams that are really close to each other with no one elite. I can't see Minnesota finishing ahead of you guys because Pitino really is that bad but Iowa could be tough this year. Cook is going to be a monster. In the end tho I think Carson makes some huge plays down the stretch of some games and gets you guys around 6th place. What's everyone think about Ohio State this year? Predicted 10th?  

37 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Fran’s conference record:

4-14

8-10

9-9

9-9

12-6

12-6

10-8

4-14

Overall: 67-75

Painter:

3-13

9-7

15-3

11-7

14-4

14-4

10-8

8-10

5-13

12-6

12-6

14-4

15-3

Overall: 142-88

Fran only has 3 winning conference seasons at Iowa while Painter only has 3 losing conference seasons at Purdue. Fran’s 2 best years were 12-6 and he hasn’t come close to accomplishing that minus those 2 years. I mean he has a losing record in conference play which speaks for itself. 

You can slice the numbers (or add new ones in) any way you want.  The fact remains that Iowa has finished the same or better than Purdue in the Big Ten half the time since Fran got there, so it’s really not a rare enough occurrence to be “absurd.”  Will be funny to watch them do it again next season.  As a group, Iowa will have better guards and bigs than Purdue.  The unearned arrogance from Purdue fans after having lost the entire starting lineup that choked away a conference title and easy tournament draw last season is what’s absurd.

In regard to IU, this was a pretty good list.  I feel like Rothstein is generally better than most national analysts.  Fourth is a reasonable spot to slot IU right now, even though I think we’ll be competing at the top with MSU and UM.  Like everyone else, I think he has Nebraska way too high.  OSU is probably too low, and Minnesota might be a little too high.  And I probably would have went with Jerome Hunter over Phinisee on the under-the-radar freshmen list as well.

11 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm sure his analysis is at least more credible than the GBI analysis of Romeo Langford.  You had a poster that didn't even have him in the top five freshmen, which is beyond laughable.  Hard to take anything serious I read there, but it's damned entertaining.

They think if they talk up other freshmen long enough and often enough, those other freshmen will be studs and Romeo will be just another guy. It's what people do when they know someone they don't like is getting something great and it bothers them, so they just don't acknowledge it. There's probably a term for this that I'm too dumb/tired to come up with right now.

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

And I probably would have went with Jerome Hunter over Phinisee on the under-the-radar freshmen list as well.

I think this has more to do with Phinisee likely having more responsibilities as a freshman, rather than a talent perspective. We all know what kind of potential Hunter has and feel like he’s a low key stud in the making.

15 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Would you take either Iowa or Minnesota over Purdue this year?

I would take Iowa this year.  They have more talent but probably are not as well coached. 

An my reason why. 

Garza will be a solid double double guy this year. 

We all know what cook brings to the table. 

They have a healthy McCaaffry as a sophomore this year.  They played and won last year when he ran the point. 

They add a freshman in 4* weiskamp who was a good defender and scorer in high school. 

Bohannon/Moss will focus on shooting this year instead of playing point

Off the bench they Pimsl who is a decent big man and Nunge who is a 6'11 3 point shooter.  Add in Sr. Baer who won't see as much time but is much like McBob and is the hustle glue guy.  If they limit their bench to 8 they should be fine this year.  Baring any injuries. 

They are a very talented young team who need to learn to play defense.  I think they were ranked in the top 40 offensively but were like 160 or something defensively.  If they can tighten that up and keep the turnovers to a minimum, be prepared for a decent looking Iowa team.

8 hours ago, Danomatic said:

I think this has more to do with Phinisee likely having more responsibilities as a freshman, rather than a talent perspective. We all know what kind of potential Hunter has and feel like he’s a low key stud in the making.

I see where you’re coming from, but I think Hunter will be asked to do more than Phinisee next season.  I was looking at it from the perspective of IU fans knowing how much of a potenial stud Hunter is, but people around the conference and the nation most likely having no idea about him.  And I think Hunter is probably a little more college-ready and will have more of an impact than Phinisee next season.  But they’re both talented kids for sure, not knocking Phinisee at all.

19 hours ago, Danomatic said:

I truly believe that by seasons end, we’re battling with Michigan for the conference championship. If there’s any guy in the B1G who’s got a chip on his shoulder and out to prove himself this season, it’s Juwan Morgan. I think that we get a very aggressive/determined Morgan, who in his own right will be out to prove that he’s the best player in the league. I know that Romeo is obviously the player with the highest ceiling in the league and he will be exciting to watch as well, but I see Juwan taking his game to another level. 

Also, Justin Smith is going to be fantastic! I think that a trio of Romeo, Smith and Morgan will be very formidable.

If Hunter can consistently perform up to his talent level then he is the 4th and that is a very, very formidable group. 

16 hours ago, 5fouls said:

No way the Boilers finish 9th.  I can see them finishing either 8th or 10th, but 9th is absurd.    :coffee:

Wherever they finish, we know they won't make it past the Sweet 16. 

3 minutes ago, hoosierBGH said:

If Hunter can consistently perform up to his talent level then he is the 4th and that is a very, very formidable group. 

Wherever they finish, we know they won't make it past the Sweet 16. 

PU will struggle to make the NCAA Tournament this year. No way will the committee take 9 from the B1G.

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I see where you’re coming from, but I think Hunter will be asked to do more than Phinisee next season.  I was looking at it from the perspective of IU fans knowing how much of a potenial stud Hunter is, but people around the conference and the nation most likely having no idea about him.  And I think Hunter is probably a little more college-ready and will have more of an impact than Phinisee next season.  But they’re both talented kids for sure, not knocking Phinisee at all.

I’m excited about both of them! Hunter could end up being a very special player by the time his time at Indiana is finished. I like everything about his game. I think Phinisee could have a Yogi type of tenure with the program, too. I’m absolutely not putting him on any sort of pedestal, nor am I saying that he’s the second coming. I just see a very athletic, smaller point guard who’s capable of stringing together a few solid seasons.

17 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

You can slice the numbers (or add new ones in) any way you want.  The fact remains that Iowa has finished the same or better than Purdue in the Big Ten half the time since Fran got there, so it’s really not a rare enough occurrence to be “absurd.”  Will be funny to watch them do it again next season.  As a group, Iowa will have better guards and bigs than Purdue.  The unearned arrogance from Purdue fans after having lost the entire starting lineup that choked away a conference title and easy tournament draw last season is what’s absurd.

They went 4-14 last year in a relatively down conference. Why will they magically be so much better this year? Easy tournament draw? Lol. If anyone had an easy tournament path it was Michigan. Even if Haas hadn’t gotten hurt they would’ve had to have played Nova after TTU. Would love to hear how they had an easy tournament draw. Hard to call losing to TTU after losing Haas a “choke.”

Archived