Ohio St. pregame thread...

I'm worried about this one. Being on the road against a team who is going to hear all week how they better not have a let down isn't ideal. Add in playing an OC that wants to put up 70 against you and it is a little scary. 

I just hope it isn't a loss that impacts the rest of the season. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Indiana gets any short fields to work with they have to make the most since I don't see them having enough to push OSU's defense up the field all day. 

It's critical to get something positive out of the kicking/ return game, and if nothing else not have Special teams compound the challenge .That will be huge in setting Indiana up in a position to succeed in establishing some momentum and also the best chance to keep the Ohio State defense in as tough of situations as IU is likely capable of. If the Bucks pin their ears back and fly at Indiana like MSU did , they have to be made to pay for it more often than what was managed a couple of weeks ago. Guys who get the ball coming their way can't be fumbling or having seemingly sure catches bounce off their hands into the hands of defenders for picks, so I would love to see better concentration by the backs and WRs.  The line has to play well enough to afford IU to use their TE's for more than emergency blocking letting them be more involved in the passing game. 

The bottom line is the team down to a man has to have a short memory to move on to the next play. Not getting too comfy or too disappointed during the course of the game will be key if and likely when something OSU does puts IU in tough spots of their own.

They talk the talk of a 60 minute business-like approach and I heard Allen's post game comments, plus Ramsey's interview, but lets see it out on the field where it matters most.

GO IU!!! 

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
Check out what the OSU media is saying about Saturday's contest, including a time when IU used to dominate this series???

Thanks for the link TDH.   Have yet to go through everything.  However, a time dominating the series has to be a typo or misstatement, considering OSU has dominated the series 73-12

Ohio State Buckeyes vs. Indiana Hoosiers football series history

58 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks for the link TDH.   Have yet to go through everything.  However, a time dominating the series has to be a typo or misstatement, considering OSU has dominated the series 73-12

Ohio State Buckeyes vs. Indiana Hoosiers football series history

Yep, nearly half of those 12 wins came during the pre-1913 "domination period" 

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:41 PM, BeerBQ said:

I'm worried about this one. Being on the road against a team who is going to hear all week how they better not have a let down isn't ideal. Add in playing an OC that wants to put up 70 against you and it is a little scary. 

I just hope it isn't a loss that impacts the rest of the season. 

Highly doubt Wilson is concerned with putting up 70 on us.

Hate being this way. Just a realist I suppose. Ohio St has probably 20-30 guys who at some point will be playing on Sunday. We don't. I'm thinking this game will take a similar course to our more recent games vs them. Hang for awhile and out of nowhere we lose by 4 TD's. One thing to maybe keep an eye on. Unseasonably warm temps in the area today. With the game starting at 4pm...heat indexes will be in low 90's. Not sure of impact but probably would be smart to rotate in guys early and often to keep fresh.

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Hate being this way. Just a realist I suppose. Ohio St has probably 20-30 guys who at some point will be playing on Sunday. We don't. I'm thinking this game will take a similar course to our more recent games vs them. Hang for awhile and out of nowhere we lose by 4 TD's. One thing to maybe keep an eye on. Unseasonably warm temps in the area today. With the game starting at 4pm...heat indexes will be in low 90's. Not sure of impact but probably would be smart to rotate in guys early and often to keep fresh.

You have hit upon the biggest key factor, in my opinion....talent differential...and depth.

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Funny you mentioned the NFL.......I checked a NFL mock draft for next year earlier this morning.  The Bucks had 6 players going in the first 2 rounds.

13 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

To make matters worse..... it's homecoming game for OSU.

And I know there's zero data to back what I'm getting ready to say but I always feel like if we could play a top team like Ohio St at Noon it could possibly mean a less than hostile crowd, better chances to catch a team sleeping a bit....with 4pm kick, beautiful day to tailgate, crowds will be up....this one could get nasty for the good guys.

2 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
See how the Hoosiers and Buckeyes match up and our prediction on the final score.

Love the thoughtful articles you bring TDH.  Agree with your analysis.  The only thing I would add is that even if the OL does give Ramsey time,  we have shown NO propensity to stretch the field vertically all year.  In addition, there still remains the question that even if we  do, does Ramsey have the arm strength to complete those passes if open.  It's puzzling that even after 5 games we don't have some of these answers already.  All I can say is it's going to be a blood bath today.  A cat playing with a mouse.

Unfortunately, imo, the only thing that will stop OSU today is OSU. If they make a bunch of mistakes, or they call off the dogs, then the score will be respectable. If they don't, I don't see IU staying within 30. 

The talent discrepancies of the guys up front, on both sides of the ball is so pronounced that we won't be able to run much, Ramsey will be running for his life, and we won't apply enough pressure to stop the Buckeyes from moving at will 

I'm pretty sure I predicted a fairly decisive(40's - 20's)  OSU win somewhere on a thread and I'm s ticking with that, but I like IU's chances if they can take better angles to the ball, and close that back end up by being a bit more patient at Safety and Husky in the run support. It's been way too inconsistent. For the most part they have funneled plays into the areas where they can get stops. However, they over-pursue or take poor angles too often and guys are left out of position to make a good play on the ball.  

I have the full games on Hulu saves and almost clipped them myself to prove my point , but it wasn't hard to find examples in their highlights. 

Like TDH alluded to, today they're facing top level athletes. I agree it's hard to put too much stock into anything Indiana has done, and more reason for concern being what they've given up was against opponents with vastly inferior talent to Ohio State.  

FWIW IU's corners have started making more plays when they've got picked on by opposing QBs through the air . Michigan State tested the corners and threw the 2 picks, so IU will need more of that, but those kids also have to fight through blocks because when a fast enough ballcarrier reaches the 2nd level of the field we've looked really sloppy tracking them down at times. Especially true if the Bucks go run heavy as he mentioned in the primer. I know Coach Allen likes aggressive play , but it has to be controlled aggression.  Mature patient play out of the veteran DBs and their young back-ups is a must since the ball is almost certainly going to get behind the LBs several times today.  LBs will have to find the right fit, but they can't get lulled in too far to get burned on short throws to the TE. and slot. Tough task for these guys today . .Allen knows Haskins is slow-ish and that their line blocks really well to keep him upright, so I'm eager to see both who and where his array of disguised blitzes will come from. I just hope they don't catch on and beat those by throwing over the top for easy s cores in the same way IU will need to do to them to stay in this..One should be rightfully concerned about a defense that practices and played all of it's games against more of dink & dunk passing attacks. They just have't saw a ton of shots taken at them so will they be prepared for that. .

Archived