Unofficial Big Ten Preseason Media Poll

10 hours ago, Inequality said:

Carson isn’t on the same level as Romeo. Ask any NBA scout. 

This isn’t the NBA, right now I would take Carson before Romeo.  He’s proven at this level, already he made his adjustments to this level.  Now in 3-4 months maybe we visit this again.  This is an interesting topic to me.  I dislike Purdue, but Carson is pretty damn good.

49 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

This isn’t the NBA, right now I would take Carson before Romeo.  He’s proven at this level, already he made his adjustments to this level.  Now in 3-4 months maybe we visit this again.  This is an interesting topic to me.  I dislike Purdue, but Carson is pretty damn good.

He is good. Still not convinced he should be a consensus poty

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Do you think someone else should have more POTY votes than him? Not sure who else you could really make the argument for. 

I’d say Happ for obvious reasons. 

And I think the case could be made for Morgan. He was a more efficient scorer while being the lone reliable scorer meaning he got double teamed a lot. Plus his PER was significantly higher than Edwards. And their W/S per 40 minutes were very similar. 

Morgan wore down last year being played out of position also. Something that shouldn’t happen this year now that IU has some depth. 

I just think Edwards was so successful for a lot of reasons. 4 of them graduated last year. Including the most efficient scorer in the conference. And some of the best shooters. Those are advantages that he won’t have this year. 

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I’d say Happ for obvious reasons. 

And I think the case could be made for Morgan. He was a more efficient scorer while being the lone reliable scorer meaning he got double teamed a lot. Plus his PER was significantly higher than Edwards. And their W/S per 40 minutes were very similar. 

Morgan wore down last year being played out of position also. Something that shouldn’t happen this year now that IU has some depth. 

I just think Edwards was so successful for a lot of reasons. 4 of them graduated last year. Including the most efficient scorer in the conference. And some of the best shooters. Those are advantages that he won’t have this year. 

I agree he won’t have those advantages this year but I think you could just as easily  say that the 4 seniors who left benefitted just as much from him (if not more) than he benefited from them. The guy is so good at creating his own shot that it opens up opportunities for others. Will it be tougher for him this year? No doubt. But I think he’s going to have a monster season. 

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I agree he won’t have those advantages this year but I think you could just as easily  say that the 4 seniors who left benefitted just as much from him (if not more) than he benefited from them. The guy is so good at creating his own shot that it opens up opportunities for others. Will it be tougher for him this year? No doubt. But I think he’s going to have a monster season. 

Those players helped him be more efficient. And his usage was already pretty insane. So he can’t really use many more possessions he’s just probably going to be less effective when he uses them because teams can double team him now

5 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

IMO the only 2 freshman the B1G has had in recent memory who were nearly as good as Romeo were Oden and EJ.  Oden nearly brought OSU a title in his one season and EJ was by far the best player in the league before his wrist injury and Sampsongate.  We'll see what happens.

Deshaun Thomas actually had more points in high school than Romeo. He had a stellar college career but not much as a professional.

Deangelo Russell should be in the conversation as well 

1 hour ago, rico said:

I would like to point out, that since it's inception, no frosh has ever ever won the Big 10 POY.

When was its inception?  Also, as ADegerenate has pointed out the B1G has never really recruited with the big boys.  In the past 20 years how many top 5 recruits went to a B1G school?  Oden and EJ for sure.  Maybe Mullins and Koufus but both of those guys were over ranked by at least 20 spots.

Well I found the list.  Some surprises were Jimmy Jackson over Calbert in 92.  For you old timers did Calbert get robbed?  Did Alford get robbed in 1987?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Conference_Men's_Basketball_Player_of_the_Year

I think Romeo will be the best player in the B1G.  I don't know if he'll get the award though.

Archived