2018-19 Player Preview: Al Durham

I feel like a broken record, but I've loved this kid since I saw his high school King of Bluegrass highlights.  He's really smoothed out his stroke and I was having Calbert Cheaney flashbacks watching him stroking it at Hoosier Hysteria.

...and for a freshman, he did a great job taking care of the basketball.  He's certainly capable of starting, but who gets squeezed out if he does?

31 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I think Al will play an important role on this year’s team, but to me, he’s not a starter on a conference championship contender.  Looking at them as sophomores, I see him as a little bit better Stan Robinson.

And Tony Brown says hello

I wouldn't be shocked to see Al make major strides this year and next.  Remember when Vic was just a lanky athletic defender?  Then he developed his spot up jumper.   I'm not deeming him a player of the year candidate next year but I wont be surprised if he becomes the steady hand at point.  He already takes care of the ball, can atrack, can defend.  He might not have the hot sauce on his passes but if they are consistent and effective along with hitting the open jumper opportunities, I wont shocked of he becomes our cemented point guard.  

^^ That's where I am on him Not/That/Lives. I was thinking at the end of last season and over the summer that people are sleeping on Al because of his shooting as a frosh, and that if he could hone that shot and get a decent consistent jumper going he could have a big jump. Kid did a great job especially early as a frosh in taking care of the ball and in his decision-making, showed signs of having a big upside, imo. HH is just HH, but he was showing real improvement. The competition among the several good players/guards on the team undoubtedly is helping, and if he does have that decent jumper going, do think he can have a real breakout season.

5 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ That's where I am on him Not/That/Lives. I was thinking at the end of last season and over the summer that people are sleeping on Al because of his shooting as a frosh, and that if he could hone that shot and get a decent consistent jumper going he could have a big jump. Kid did a great job especially early as a frosh in taking care of the ball and in his decision-making, showed signs of having a big upside, imo. HH is just HH, but he was showing real improvement. The competition among the several good players/guards on the team undoubtedly is helping, and if he does have that decent jumper going, do think he can have a real breakout season.

Good points.  Victor shot 21% from 3 as a sophomore and then 44% as a junior.  I am not anywhere near saying Al is Vic, but I do see a sneaky major upside with him.

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

IF IF IF...this is a 4-man class.  I'm not at all convinced it is.

Hey I hope not...and I hope Green balls out...but to me Green is the one guy on this roster I could see not buying into Archie’s system and earning his walking papers. Hard worker like Moore might leave on his own but I don’t think Archie will push him out. Essentially in 2-3 years he will be playing Fitz role on this team.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Hey I hope not...and I hope Green balls out...but to me Green is the one guy on this roster I could see not buying into Archie’s system and earning his walking papers. Hard worker like Moore might leave on his own but I don’t think Archie will push him out. Essentially in 2-3 years he will be playing Fitz role on this team.

If Green continues to play Crean ball he will sit.  That much is certain.  But if he stops the unforced turnovers and takes good shots I can see a potential star.  

Archived