Close Calls Against Ranked Teams

If it felt like yesterday was following a familiar script, well, how about 14 such games just in the last 4 years.  It has been a brutal run of close-but-not-quite against ranked teams for IU.

Some say it will never change, and frankly that is hard to argue with.

The optimistic take -- the gap isn't that wide and the recruiting is improving.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/indiana-collapses-late-against-a-ranked-team-weve-seen-this-before/

43 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

If it felt like yesterday was following a familiar script, well, how about 14 such games just in the last 4 years.  It has been a brutal run of close-but-not-quite against ranked teams for IU.

Some say it will never change, and frankly that is hard to argue with.

The optimistic take -- the gap isn't that wide and the recruiting is improving.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/indiana-collapses-late-against-a-ranked-team-weve-seen-this-before/

We are slowly getting closer but in the end it will take improved talent on the field. Look at Kentucky under Stoopes. He has slowly built that defense and team until he has finally broke through against Florida...then they carried that momentum against Ol Miss. They aren’t nearly as deep as the other SEC teams but after years of solid recruiting they are finally catching up on the field. Now if he could learn to game manage they might actually could win the SEC East but at least they are beating good teams and it will take that type of recruiting for us to get over the hump too.

We've been hearing about improved recruiting for years. How about improved coaching? Then we might see fewer mistakes and better game management. I can handle losing to the bluebloods because they simply have better skill players or better depth. What I can't stand is losing close games where we had 3-4 ridiculous turnovers, horrible special teams and coaches who act like they have no clue what to do at the end of a half.

It's weird. We rip our coaches in all sports.....and at IU we are specifically critical of our hoops players but we rarely touch the football players. I don't know who it is or has to be but someone on the team needs to step up and make the play on offense to get us over the top. Make the special teams tackle. Make the stop on a 3rd and 2 to get us the ball back.

I realize coaches have to put the players in the best position to succeed but I'm to the point where 1 of the IU Football Players needs to step up and change the program in one of these games.  After hearing the Purdue slurp fest all day....I'm ticked we don't have one player who can't make the difference. Rant over. On to Minny. 

Archived