Scouting Report on Loyola Chicago

rbkl

3 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

Agreed.

At this point, the only true 30 mpg guys are likely to be Morgan and Langford, right?

If Smith is killing it as said I don't see why he won't either.  If an ancient Lebron can play 48 minutes on 1 day of rest there's no reason why those 3 19-21 year olds won't play 35 minutes assuming no foul trouble in close games.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'd really be suprised if we had more than an 8 man rotation.  The 2002 team really only played 7 and maybe a half guys with Newt and Moye off the bench and Donald Perry getting a few minutes now and then.  Tom Crean is not our coach anymore so notions of a 10 man rotation are ridiculous.

Can't see any of these guys being out of the rotation -- and would add an 8-man rotation is a short bench that wears down. I think 9-10 is more like it.

Morgan

Romeo

Smith

Green

McRoberts

Fitzner

Al

Rob

That's 8, then among these guys at least 2-3 imo

Davis

Race

Jake

Hunter

Moore

Anderson

Can also see a rotation of 9 or 10 that changes with practice and the season ongoing

35 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'd really be suprised if we had more than an 8 man rotation.  The 2002 team really only played 7 and maybe a half guys with Newt and Moye off the bench and Donald Perry getting a few minutes now and then.  Tom Crean is not our coach anymore so notions of a 10 man rotation are ridiculous.

I think it's all relative to the tightness of the game.  If we are repeatedly giving out beatdowns, I can see a deep rotation.  Keep guys fresh, get everyone some experience, prevent cramping and resultant injuries...  I cannot say one way or another whether we are deep enough to have a ten man rotation, but it is less a stretch as it was in years past.

Tight games, tight rotations.  Not telling anyone anything new here.  I am just hopeful we see ten man rotations very often this season to set up next year with the possible departures while having an incredible year this year.

In an ideal situation, you return a team next year that has 6-7 guys back that played quality minutes the year before.  With Morgan, Fitzner, McRoberts, and most assuredly Romeo gone from this year's roster, that will require us to have at least a 10 man rotation this season in order to bring back that level of experience.  For long term success of the program, you simply have to give guys like Phinesee, Hunter,  Forrester, and Thompson some minutes.  

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

I guarantee we will have more than 8 players get at least 10 mpg.  Too much depth.

55 minutes ago, Max said:

So Race and Devonte are out for a little while and didn’t play in the scrimmage? Where are we discussing this guys? I’m freaking.

Haven't heard anything about severity, wouldn't freak, it's a good scrimmage but just a scrimmage, probably playing it cautious -- nagging injuries generally does not signal something significant. 

And

IU’s point guard rotation will be deep, and Miller hinted that Rob Phinisee may be ready to play a role early on in his career, mentioning the freshman’s physical strength, intelligence, and competitiveness as his defining traits. “Very rarely does a freshman come in as sturdy at his position,” Miller said. “Although he’s a quiet guy, he has yet to show any one that he has any backdown in him.”

as much as i like a shot bench, i would think 10 guys would have a role.  hopefully no more than that.  the key to me is that the top 4-5 need a lot of minutes, 5-8 solid minutes, 9-10 very limited.  of course in a blowout that should change.  we are deep and seems like pretty much everyone can play, but you need chemistry and guys staying on the floor.  there is also a difference in your top 8 over #s 11,12,13

12 hours ago, Max said:

So Race and Devonte are out for a little while and didn’t play in the scrimmage? Where are we discussing this guys? I’m freaking.

Obviously want then healthy ASAP, however, silver lining, their absence indicates that we are pretty deep up front and that Al and Robert were fairly capable running the point in Devonte's absence.  That Loyola team is a fairly veteran team as well, particularly in the backcourt.

I am more cautiously optimistic the closer we get to the season.

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

as much as i like a shot bench, i would think 10 guys would have a role.  hopefully no more than that.  the key to me is that the top 4-5 need a lot of minutes, 5-8 solid minutes, 9-10 very limited.  of course in a blowout that should change.  we are deep and seems like pretty much everyone can play, but you need chemistry and guys staying on the floor.  there is also a difference in your top 8 over #s 11,12,13

I like the starting 5 to play 30 minutes.  Then spread the rest out over the next 5 on the bench.  That give the bench experience by has your starters on the floor the majority of the time.

1 hour ago, rico said:

I don't care what the rotation is, I don't care how the minutes are distributed, I don't care who starts..........I just want to win, and win a lot.

Yep. And there is so much competition for playing time on this team, multiple guys are fully in the mix, that will make everyone better and the team better.

Archived