Best "small" to play for IU ?

6 minutes ago, IUguy said:

Yeah, but remember, there were no three pointers back then and McKrackern took him out, at least in the Minnesota game, with over six minutes remaining.

He still is probably the best pure scoring guard to ever play for IU.

I agree. I have not seen much video of him at all but believe also that he is the best shooter in IU history. I was just having some fun with a post in the NBA thread about Klay taking so many shots to break a record.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

My question has been why are individual scoring down today compared to what it was back then.  Is it that coaches try to micro manage and not let the players go out and play.  Is it that teams have more guys who can score so they don't have to rely on one scorer.

JMHO, 3 things.  Shot clock, 3 point line, and lack of post play.  The shot  clock does not allow the team to run a fluid offense.  Teams like the 3 point shot.  And the offense isn't centered around a true center.

3 hours ago, Mac said:

The best small names would have to be Bootsie White and Bubbles Harris, who, I believe, started together a bunch of games in Knight's first season.

Which is neither here nor there.

I have been wracking my brain all day since your post, mentioning Cornelius "Bootsie" White.  I knew the name, but could not place him till now.  Bootsie, from Hammond, Indiana.  I actually saw him play high school basketball, before he came to IU.  Yep.... he was a "small" for sure. But, man he was quick.   Well under 6-0 as memory serves me.   Though from Hammond, I think he went to Hammond Tech, and not Hammond High. And took them deep into the sectionals his Senior year.... late 1960's.  I could be wrong on that... it's been so many years. But....  Wow.... thanks for the memory !

On 10/31/2018 at 4:01 PM, rico said:

JMHO, 3 things.  Shot clock, 3 point line, and lack of post play.  The shot  clock does not allow the team to run a fluid offense.  Teams like the 3 point shot.  And the offense isn't centered around a true center.

This is interesting. It implies that shooting percentages were higher before the 3 point line and shot clock. Is that so? I did an exhaustive two minute search on Google and couldn't figure it out.

11 hours ago, Mac said:

This is interesting. It implies that shooting percentages were higher before the 3 point line and shot clock. Is that so? I did an exhaustive two minute search on Google and couldn't figure it out.

Pretty much and actually scoring was higher as well.  It was all about taking the best shots for most teams and if that was after 10 seconds or a minute but they took a good shot.

Pretty much and actually scoring was higher as well.  It was all about taking the best shots for most teams and if that was after 10 seconds or a minute but they took a good shot.

FWIW Scott....the '76-'77 UNLV Rebs averaged a tad over 107 ppg.  No shot clock.  No 3 point line.  Their lowest point output that year was 78, and they won that game.  Their FG% was just a tick under 50% as a team.  The boys could shoot and "coerced" their opponents into playing their style of game.  They were an Independent that year and played a dang fine schedule.  Made it to the FF and got beat by UNC.  

35 minutes ago, rico said:

FWIW Scott....the '76-'77 UNLV Rebs averaged a tad over 107 ppg.  No shot clock.  No 3 point line.  Their lowest point output that year was 78, and they won that game.  Their FG% was just a tick under 50% as a team.  The boys could shoot and "coerced" their opponents into playing their style of game.  They were an Independent that year and played a dang fine schedule.  Made it to the FF and got beat by UNC.  

I think coaches today want to much control of his players and micromanage the game and won't allow a free flowing offense like they use to.

23 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think coaches today want to much control of his players and micromanage the game and won't allow a free flowing offense like they use to.

This is true in college. 

The offense in the NBA right now is as good as we have ever seen in basketball. 

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

This is true in college. 

The offense in the NBA right now is as good as we have ever seen in basketball. 

College was what I was talking about because the leading scorers in the country use to average over 30 points a game.  today you are lucky to see guys average over 20 points a game.

College was what I was talking about because the leading scorers in the country use to average over 30 points a game.  today you are lucky to see guys average over 20 points a game.

And then there was "Pistol Pete" Maravich who averaged over 44 point per game.  Along with the "Spendid Splinter" there is something special,  I miss about the college game in terms of scoring, and coaching management today.  Back in the day.... coaches allowed their shooting stars to shine.  And as a kid, I could not wait to open the paper in the morning,  to see how many points those shooting stars scored the night before. It was fun. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

And then there was "Pistol Pete" Maravich who averaged over 44 point per game.  Along with the "Spendid Splinter" there is something special,  I miss about the college game in terms of scoring, and coaching management today.  Back in the day.... coaches allowed their shooting stars to shine.  And as a kid, I could not wait to open the paper in the morning,  to see how many points those shooting stars scored the night before. It was fun. 

When I was growing up in the early mid 90's the game was still a game. Now it is a business and players are products it seems.

Still enjoy following IU and I feel CAM is bringing back the approach to the game I grew up with. 

Pistol pete was out of control. He did what he did on mediocre teams. 

4 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

When I was growing up in the early mid 90's the game was still a game. Now it is a business and players are products it seems.

Still enjoy following IU and I feel CAM is bringing back the approach to the game I grew up with. 

Pistol pete was out of control. He did what he did on mediocre teams. 

Pete played on a fine team his Sr. year.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

He wasn't the best small to play for IU, in my estimation. However, at 5-7, Tony Freeman does have a national championship ring.

b475825f8efa25651b473b9286c51fc2--steve-

Luckily, they got him in the same picture with Dean Garrett, at 6-10. Nice post, Mile.

Archived