Did the NBA cost FCTC his job?

rico

3 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

He was and is a bad coach. While they won, his Georgia team just committed 26 turnovers to a D2 school in Western GA!!! -- that's incredible.  Also, I kid you not, apparently Western GA was running a zone and UGA didn't know how to beat the zone  Glad to see Crean's style of play is fully implemented at UGA.

Lol, that is pretty incredible.  Between 2010 and 2017, IU only had one game with 26 or more TOs... 26 against Liberty on November 19, 2016.

12 minutes ago, rico said:

Just for reference......the pros probably cost Bobby at least 2 banners.  If Crean would have won 1 or came close, he would still be the coach.  What if?

Agree, and how many banners did being a first class ahole cost him too?  Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed it all at the time but if he wasnt such a hardass he could have been right behind wooden but without the cheating. What if right?  

12 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Oh, I give Crean credit for having some good teams and winning some big games. But, when an opponent could get him out of his comfort zone, when they slowed things down and played a half court game, he had no ability to overcome that.

When Crean had Uber talent, his teams were good. He never showed, at IU at least, that he could take a lesser talked team and coach them up to perform better than their abilities 

Agree all day. That's the thing that I guess bothers me the most with Crean. If he knew that talent=better results....how did he have the class inconsistencies in recruiting? I mean the roster management was just puzzling.

Admittedly I'm a Crean fan and supporter. Had a chance to know some behind the scenes actions of him and he's a very good guy/person. With that said. $25 Million and years later it was time for a divorce. No hard feelings. I hope he does great at Georgia.

Tom Crean, I believe, really began to sell “we can get you to the league” as his fundamental pitch with highly rated recruits.  I think he had some success using that, but it was short-sighted because it caused roster shortages as he was able to get some of those players, and as has been mentioned his roster management struggles were compounded by some years with many leaving at the same time (graduation, dismissals, transfers and NBA early entrants).  

One comment Archie made early that I loved: many feel they’re ready for the NBA, but for every 50 that declare, maybe 5 are ready.  

Archie thrives on recruiting for roster balance, need and class balance.  

Lastly, Crean was limited, I believe, because he had to learn basketball.   Archie grew up the son of a coach, worked his A$$ off to make a solid D1 starting guard at under 6’, and has a very level-headed personality that is received as authentic, whereas Crean came across as a salesperson with a stream-of-consciousness style of coaching. 

43 minutes ago, rico said:

You are completely missing the question/point.  

Not really. I answered previously No to the original topic/question. Your addition to the question with the what if Cody, Vic, Vonleh, etc. stayed, doesn't change my answer. He still isn't a good enough coach to navigate the NCAA tournament to a title even if those guys stayed IMO. You're also having this scenario where only his NBA guys stay and other teams don't, so it isn't a logical what if to begin with. Plus he'd have to deal with the oversign which would be an issue for team chemistry and fans. 

On 11/3/2018 at 3:59 PM, Fundamentals said:

Lastly, Crean was limited, I believe, because he had to learn basketball.   Archie grew up the son of a coach, worked his A$$ off to make a solid D1 starting guard at under 6’, and has a very level-headed personality that is received as authentic, whereas Crean came across as a salesperson with a stream-of-consciousness style of coaching. 

Great point. I've always believed that in the world of arts and sports, you can JUST study about a subject for a long time, become VERY knowledgeable, and be a very good critic, curator, or commentator, but you don't truly know what it really takes to become a good/great artist or sportsperson. There's just so much more you have to learn and go through only by your own experiences in order to be able to teach others well. 

Follow up: Crean has ‘em playing fast and giving the ball away like we saw here.  Against West Georgia, a D2 opponent, Georgia turned the ball over 26 times.  In a forty minute game?  Yikes.  They won handily, but that won’t work once division 1 opponents are faced.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dawgnation.com/mens-basketball/georgia-bulldogs-play-fast-and-free-in-tom-creans-stegeman-coliseum-debut/amp

3 minutes ago, Fundamentals said:

Follow up: Crean has ‘em playing fast and giving the ball away like we saw here.  Against West Georgia, a D2 opponent, Georgia turned the ball over 26 times.  In a forty minute game?  Yikes.  They won handily, but that won’t work once division 1 opponents are faced.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dawgnation.com/mens-basketball/georgia-bulldogs-play-fast-and-free-in-tom-creans-stegeman-coliseum-debut/amp

Man so refreshing this is no longer us 🙌

1 hour ago, Fundamentals said:

That's gotta happen when players are not good enough to play at break neck pace. UGA kids played relatively slow offense and pretty tough defense under the previous coach. Crean, undoubtedly plays his style regardless of who he has.

Archived