Montana State Game Thread

23 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I am unsure. Based on the level of competition we have faced, he has looked fine. I mentioned this during the game, he couldn’t elevate against these guys. How is he going to fare against Duke, Marquette, et al, or B1G competition?

He’s a great and sentimental story, but bottom line, if he  can’t produce against high level programs, then he is just taking up a scholarship 

When did DeRon ever elevate over anyone?  He’s a ground-bound big man with some nice post moves, and he can protect the rim a little bit.  Like Reacher said, about 15 minutes per game will be perfect for him IMO.  Probably won’t be able to play him much against the more athletic teams though.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

DeRon has admittedly looked better than I expected him to.  Impressive recovery just 10 months after the injury.  He’s gonna get his fair share of minutes on this team.

His health was a legit reason to believe he would have an uphill battle. That was something I could see pushing him down the bench too far to overcome this year. I didn't know if he could make it back to look that solid so soon either, FW.

It was the other argument I read on various sites among the fan base suggesting against his chances due to the game evolving away from his skill set and DD perhaps not fitting in, that I begged to differ with. 

Thankfully we have a coach who recognizes the value in adapting his approach to what is on his roster as well as who is on the floor. I never shared those particular concerns about whether Davis could carve out a role if he was recovered to the point he could play his game at a high enough level. People were openly pondering how the lack of a role or fit might lead to him transferring which I felt was ridiculous if it was based on anything other than his health.

MT St isn't close to even the bottom tier of B1G competition, but given the talent IU has and the competitive environment on the team last night shows how he fits in among his teammates and into Archie's game plan.

He may yet have nights when he sits more but he looks like he will be no less than serviceable which will get him on the floor for a look against almost anyone. What more could a kid ask for than a chance to go out and keep himself in the playing picture. DD's earned himself that much no matter who it came against.

Not going to lie for  a short time, trust in Mile's knowledge of and support for DeRon(plus games DVRed drom last season) kept me believing until Davis started surfacing in the videos and word of his recovery looking pretty good got out.

I saw full recovery as a being a tall task for a lean kid much less a more massive kid like Davis.

I had to chime in here because I  predicted the Junior Class as the X factor this year. Their (DD along with Green) seasons will likely be the difderence in whether this team ends up having a good year or a great year. More veteran play in the post typically translates to more success in B1G play. Even more so if they convert chances when fouled. So I hope he stays healthy obviously and keeps up tge solid outings when the competition stiffens starting next game.

6 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i think Davis can play a role.  against some teams and certain tempos maybe he barely sees the floor, but when we need someone to bang around inside, etc. he could play a nice role.  i see it as a nightly match-up thing.

Totally agree. Against like MSU or OSU he can give us valuable minutes. He is a nice weapon to have in our arsenal, even if there are games it won't make sense to play him. 

Archived